My theory about bigfoot.

• Thread starter Deleted member 457759
  • Start date
I think you're being dense. Could you answer this question? Do you think Gobekli Tepe was created without oral or written language?

I'm certain there was some kind of oral language though I doubt any kind of written. It's some amazing work indeed but it certainly doesn't suggest that a written language was established some 10,000 years ago. Regardless, that's still nowhere near your original time frame of 100,000 years ago.

You call me dense but now you're using all of these "could have, might have, may have" to try and make some point. I firmly believe that we don't have a full grasp on human history and I also believe there are many holes. Even holding this belief I can't jump to any silly conclusion simply because of those beliefs... evidence is needed.

I use to really enjoy watching Bigfoot Hunters. That show was hilarious. Every crack and Creek in the woods was definitely a squatch.

And they would always do this extremely obnoxious tactic. They would do a wood knock. Then they would claim to here a response wood knock. Then.....they’d stop!!! WTF? You genuinely believe you are actively communicating with a Bigfoot and you just did their equivalent of a prank call!?

I think some of these may have been the result of a really good peyote trip.

Definitely, and so may have been the origins of the harry man in the forest.

Now speaking to modern human encounters, I think it’s mostly bears. Bears match so many qualities of Bigfoot sightings and if you are a person who rarely sees bear activity, it may confuse you:

Harry

Can stand on hind legs and big ones can be 12ft tall like that.

Can briefly walk on hind legs.

Can have a large footprint that can look surprisingly human, especially when the rear foot lands in the back of where a front footprint was just made.

And a sick bear losing its gear has creepily humanoid looking features.

Last edited:
Certainly.
That's the essence of oral tradition.

I once read a sci fi novel where a tribe of indigenous people were a key story element, and details of ancient tales become vital.
"We recall our stories with clarity. Details may be lost, but we do not add fiction." says one character significantly.

But of course that's idealized.

I've taken a college course on myths and legends. One of the first things that we had to do is split into six groups of five people. One person was given a short two paragraph story to read then tell that story to a second person in the group who then told a third person who told the fourth person who told the fifth then the fifth person wrote it down. Then the written versions from all six teams were compared to the original. The final versions varied greatly from the original in an exercise that took 15 minutes to complete. One would assume that some information might be lost in the transfer from person to person but what I didn't expect was that information that wasn't in the original was included in the final written version.

It's one of the reasons that chants and songs were used to preserve stories. The rhyming patterns make it easier to remember the story.

We also did an exercise where we all watched a short film then wrote down what we saw. The 30 versions had some variants of omissions of things people didn't notice or forgot to write down. Most of us recalled them when they were listed but there were 13 that had things that most of us agreed did not happen in the film. A few of the people who wrote them were adamant that they were. We were shown the film again to check which were and weren't in it. Of the 13 things that most of us agreed weren't in the film, one of them was. Oddly enough there were two things that the majority had agreed were in the film that weren't. The stranget part of the whole thing was that the people who had included things that weren't in the film still insisted they were and even accused the instructor of switching film remained on the projector the whole time.

The human mind is not a reliable recorder.

I'm still open to it existing, i don't care about being labeled. As OP said Giganto did exist. There are stories from 3 different continents. Sasquatch, Yeti & the Yowie in my country Australia.

In the past 100 years have they still been discovering new larger species and some species of great ape.

I don't think this is a novel theory. It's also not stupid. For example, if you saw this today, what would you say to your friends...this was roaming north America 12,000 years ago, along with a bunch of other gigantic megafauna that was wiped out. Giant ground sloth but the point is, while big foot (a large Pacific Northwest ape probably doesn't exist today, TS idea isn't stupid.

megatherium-ground-sloth-megafauna.jpg

I've stood next to this exhibit in the Natural History museum in London.
Of all the cool shit in there this was probably the one that blew my mind the most. It was huge next to a regular person. If it ate meat it would have been a brutal killer.

I've taken a college course on myths and legends. One of the first things that we had to do is split into six groups of five people. One person was given a short two paragraph story to read then tell that story to a second person in the group who then told a third person who told the fourth person who told the fifth then the fifth person wrote it down. Then the written versions from all six teams were compared to the original. The final versions varied greatly from the original in an exercise that took 15 minutes to complete. One would assume that some information might be lost in the transfer from person to person but what I didn't expect was that information that wasn't in the original was included in the final written version.

It's one of the reasons that chants and songs were used to preserve stories. The rhyming patterns make it easier to remember the story.

We also did an exercise where we all watched a short film then wrote down what we saw. The 30 versions had some variants of omissions of things people didn't notice or forgot to write down. Most of us recalled them when they were listed but there were 13 that had things that most of us agreed did not happen in the film. A few of the people who wrote them were adamant that they were. We were shown the film again to check which were and weren't in it. Of the 13 things that most of us agreed weren't in the film, one of them was. Oddly enough there were two things that the majority had agreed were in the film that weren't. The stranget part of the whole thing was that the people who had included things that weren't in the film still insisted they were and even accused the instructor of switching film remained on the projector the whole time.

The human mind is not a reliable recorder.
Yep.
There's a rather famous exercise from a law school class where they show a short film of people passing a basketball around a group, and the class instruction is to count the number of successful passes.

A surprising number of people completely fail to recall the person in a gorilla suit entering and walking through the frame.

I’ve got a couple of buddies who have had what could only be called a “unexplained” experience,one happen in northern Maine, the other in the UP of Michigan. ...They are both very careful of who they share their experience with. Both are very avid outdoorsmen, and believe what they saw. Neither “incident” was ever reported. They both claim they wish they could forget it entirely.

Yep.
There's a rather famous exercise from a law school class where they show a short film of people passing a basketball around a group, and the class instruction is to count the number of successful passes.

A surprising number of people completely fail to recall the person in a gorilla suit entering and walking through the frame.

That's another classic example.

How can so many cultures from different parts of the world that supposedly didnt have interactions with each other all have similar stories about bigfoot type creatures? IMO they really did exist around the same time as ancient humans and are a missing link/sub species in the evolutionary chain that eventually died out/interbred with humans like Neanderthals and I think its relatively close to current humans and thats why the legends have been passed down.

The way Native Americans / Canadians talk about bigfoot, suggest something that isn't exactly 'of this world'. The old folk tales suggest smething that is a living, breathing entity but not something that necessarily shares this earth with us. I'm a huge cryptozoology fan in general and have read a ton of books on bigfoot, some with very unusual takes on the subject.

Personally, if it exists, I think it's from another dimension. Far out, I know. But I reckon there's a good chance of there being other dimensions/parallel universe(s) etc and there are certain areas in the world that are something of a gateway/rift in time so now and again, people see brief glimpses of other worlds, if you like. I don't think bigfoot is a time traveller, just an ape-like creature that sometimes wanders into our world accidentally and gets out of dodge.

Bigfoot was a hoax.

- Planet of the Apes was filmed in 1967, the same year the Bigfoot photo was released. Coincidence?
After post production and editing, Planet of the Apes was later released in theaters in 1968.

- Look up images for Ghillie suit
People claiming to have seen Bigfoot recently have a Sniper in their backyard.

Except the costumes in Planet of the Apes were pathetic, and the 'costume' in the bigfoot video was so impressive the designer was able to produce a gorilla suit so perfectly fitting that you can see muscles rippling in all the right fplaces when the thing walks. And a rubber mask so realistic that you can see the bloke's face moving underneath it, like its a second skin. And this designer was overlooked for making POTA despite being the most talented monkey costume producer the world has ever, ever seen.

Eh I'm on the fence about bigfoot. I would need to see it myself to be convinced but I'm not just gonna dismiss all these peoples sightings as bullshit.

Bigfoot has not been found because there are simply like werewolves and are usually human.

Except the costumes in Planet of the Apes were pathetic, and the 'costume' in the bigfoot video was so impressive the designer was able to produce a gorilla suit so perfectly fitting that you can see muscles rippling in all the right fplaces when the thing walks. And a rubber mask so realistic that you can see the bloke's face moving underneath it, like its a second skin. And this designer was overlooked for making POTA despite being the most talented monkey costume producer the world has ever, ever seen.
Should have sucked Harvey's chode...it's his own fault.

They're are some credible eyewitnesses (law enforcement officers, military, outdoorsman) who claim to have seen large, bipedal creatures. Although it is possible that there is some misidentification (a bear or other), I have less doubt not to believe them. I agree that eyewitness accounts are the least reliable forms of evidence (and that many reports are not valid), the consistency of reports from many credible people strongly suggest the existence of an ape-like creature. I lean towards an existence, but the only way to prove such existence is producing a body.

Perhaps, this is just a figment of people's imagination and they just reiterate what other people have said. However, I find it interesting that Hawaii has no such reports. If people were to fabricate stories, why don't people from isolated islands claim to have seen something?

The PG film is also intriguing. I don't have the background or the knowledge to properly analyze the film. That Disney or other great special effects people claim that with their vast resources and knowledge cannot reproduce a suit like what is seen in the film is compelling.

They're are some credible eyewitnesses (law enforcement officers, military, outdoorsman) who claim to have seen large, bipedal creatures. Although it is possible that there is some misidentification (a bear or other), I have less doubt not to believe them. I agree that eyewitness accounts are the least reliable forms of evidence (and that many reports are not valid), the consistency of reports from many credible people strongly suggest the existence of an ape-like creature. I lean towards an existence, but the only way to prove such existence is producing a body.

Perhaps, this is just a figment of people's imagination and they just reiterate what other people have said. However, I find it interesting that Hawaii has no such reports. If people were to fabricate stories, why don't people from isolated islands claim to have seen something?

The PG film is also intriguing. I don't have the background or the knowledge to properly analyze the film. That Disney or other great special effects people claim that with their vast resources and knowledge cannot reproduce a suit like what is seen in the film is compelling.

There has been full threads on Sherdog about this specific incident but there were plenty of Hollywood special effects artists who not only said the footage was fake, but that they could recreate the costume with a reasonable budge (~$10,000).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson–Gimlin_film#Movie_production_companies.27_executives

The person I put the most stock in on this list is Rick Baker, and here's his quote : "it looked like cheap, fake fur." There is this myth surrounding the PG footage that nobody in Hollywood ever believed it could be recreated and that's just 100% pure bullshit. MANY people not only thought it could be recreated but that it wasn't very convincing either.

Not to mention the guys set out to film Bigfoot and then magically they found Bigfoot. Something to remember is that back in those days a camera wasn't something that was very easy to setup... so they just happened to be filming where this Bigfoot decided to walk out of the forest, see them, and then walk back. Not to mention the guy who claims to have made the suit and he gave some startling details as to how it worked. The funny part is the conspiracy people who REFUSE to believe this guy.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I wanted to pitch my not so well thought out theory of how the bigfoot myth came to North America and although I don't believe in the existence of bigfoot, I believe it's origins come from something real.

As recently as 100,000 years ago an ape now known as gigantopithicus lived in Asia roughly around the same time humans migrated there. These times are estimated, and as most history buffs have been learning lately early migrations of humans and civilizations are constantly being pushed further back in time.

Some of you may have read about early American Indian accounts of bigfoot particularly in the rockies.
http://www.bfro.net/legends/

These stories were passed down through the ages long before Columbus or any Europeans set foot on North American soil. These indigenous people are believed to have crossed the land bridge from Asia.

I believe that current bigfoot legends are real stories from humans in Asia that shared habitat with this great ape, passed the stories down generation to generation and brought it over to north America and pollenated the European settler culture.

Discuss.

I think 50% of Bigfoot sightings are misidentifications of bears or other animals. The other 50% are outright frauds.

Back