N64 w/HDMI Worth It?

AlexDB9

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im seeing these N64 units going for $500 on eBay that have been moded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080. I was reading the other day that Nintendo may come out with an N64 mini but that my favorite game of all time Goldeneye 007 won’t be included due to rights/legal shit

The last time I ever really enjoyed video games was as a kid with my N64, so for nostalgia purposes...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?

I've never even heard of such a thing, but I'd have to imagine than an HDMI N64 + EverDrive 64 would be the absolute shiznit.

Im seeing these N64 units going for $500 on eBay that have been moded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080. I was reading the other day that Nintendo may come out with an N64 mini but that my favorite game of all time Goldeneye 007 won’t be included due to rights/legal shit

The last time I ever really enjoyed video games was as a kid with my N64, so for nostalgia purposes...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?

I’d wait for the eventual N64 mini. Even if it doesn’t come with Goldeneye I’m sure people will figure out how to hack it to add more games like they have with the NES and SNES classics.

$500?! May as well get a Framemeister and Everdrive for that kind of dough.

Definitely not worth $500. Hate to be a hater but the N64 library just isn't that deep enough to justify that price.

The HDMI mod is fairly new so you can expect them to flood the market soon now that people can reverse engineer them. Give it about a year and I'm sure you'll see some options around $100. Wait a few more years and Analogue NT will likely have a 1080p N64 as well. Their Sega system just got announced and their NES and Super NES systems were outstanding.

HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080

Ummm.... unless the N64's maximum resolution of 640×460 had been hacked to upscale to 1080i, which it wouldn't, whatever hacked games you'll be playing on your 1080 big screen are all going to look like shit.

Mupen64 and roms = FREE and you don't have to use that horrific N64 controller.

Ummm.... unless the N64's maximum resolution of 640×460 had been hacked to upscale to 1080i, which it wouldn't, whatever hacked games you'll be playing on your 1080 big screen are all going to look like shit.

They aren’t hacked it’s using the actual N64 with the cartridges

I hear YouTube doesnt do it justice but

I don't know all the technical details but the NES and SNES look fantastic at 1080p on the Analogue NT. Seeing pixel-perfect sprites with perfect image quality and color is awesome.

I don't see any reason why the N64 wouldn't look similar. The only difference is pixel art stands the test of time where N64 3D could look a little ugly. I still expect it to be sharp and crisp though.

hoyJpjT.png

Was it even $500 brand new? That's gonna be a hard pass. I'd pay $100 for N64mini with like 20 games, but it better include 2 controllers.

What games would you want for a N64mini
Zelda OfT
Zelda MM
Mario 64
Mariocart
mario party
paper mario
super smash bros
perfect dark(since TS said goldeneye couldn't be released due to license issues
banjo kazooie
Jet Force Gemini
what else?

I'd just wait for the N64 Classic or Raspberry Pi 5.

perfect dark(since TS said goldeneye couldn't be released due to license issues

Might as well add every Rare title to that list as well, because its now owned by Microsoft.

But, maybe MS might give them a deal, maybe. Or, more likely, every game on the N64-mini will be Nintendo-owned.

hold out for the n64 mini, which will quickly be modded to include nearly every game on the library including Goldeneye.

Hmm I've got 2 N64's sitting in my closet. Might try to mod one to see how it goes.

I was planning on making a hand-held with one of them, but wanted to have a video out as well. I was just going to go with the s-video out but having HDMI built in would be nice.

Back