Nabisco Animal Crackers are now Cage Free!

Big Nasty Edison

Excellence of execution belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
PT Barnum's animals have finally been set free! Go forward and roam, you glorious beasts!

<mma1>

Pressure on Nabisco led to the change.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/21/6405...cracker-packaging-sets-the-mighty-beasts-free

For more than a century, the animal cracker packaging has shown the mighty beasts locked behind bars in a circus boxcar.

A spokesperson for Mondelez International, Nabisco's parent company, said it was time for a change.

"To continue to make the brand relevant for years to come, we felt this was the right time for the next evolution in our design, now showing the animals in a natural habitat," said Mondelez's Kimberly Fontes.

The new design shows the animals standing shoulder-to-shoulder, proudly walking in the wild. "NEW LOOK, Same Great Taste!" the package says.

After more than a century behind bars like this box, the beasts on boxes of animal crackers are roaming free.

Kiichiro Sato/AP
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals had asked for a change in the design. The group has opposed using animals in circuses for decades, as NPR reported. Last year, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus announced they were shutting down after nearly 150 years following pressure from animal rights groups and declining ticket sales.

In 2015, the circus decided to stop having elephants in its shows, one of the reasons the company thought attendance was dropping.

For PETA, the new box design is indicative of a cultural shift.

"Big victories can come in small packages, and no matter where we look, we find new evidence that people are embracing compassion for animals like never before," PETA said in a statement, saying they participated in discussions with the company about the redesign.

"The new box for Barnum's Animals perfectly reflects that our society no longer tolerates caging and chaining exotic animals for circus shows," PETA adds. "No living being exists simply to be a spectacle or to perform tricks for human entertainment, yet all circuses and traveling shows that use animals treat them as mere props, denying them everything that's natural and important to them."

Vintage package
3aee27efe5de739532492ac50bcbb239.jpg

New
food_animal_cracker_box_003.jpg

In other news, the lion killed them all five minutes after this was photo was published.

What say you War Room? Is this a great day in ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISM OR WHAT???

It’s a start, but we can’t let up the pressure until this is a thing of the past as well...
DlIQXeuVsAAqKDX.jpg:large

I'm all for animal rights at all times, and am glad circuses are on the decline but not sure a cracker box will change anything.

Back in the old days, when I was still getting high, I used to crack a box of animal crackers, open a can of chocolate cake frosting and eat them like chips and salsa.

Awesome thread. The gorilla in the new package is swole A F. Look at them forearms!

Can one of y'all put crosshairs on them?

Maybe add Eric and Donny Jr hunt picture?

I've never hunted anything. I just think it's funny

Back in the old days, when I was still getting high, I used to crack a box of animal crackers, open a can of chocolate cake frosting and eat them like chips and salsa.
Have done this.

Sober... stop fucking judging me you bigots

aaaannnnd we care because.....

nope we don't care...

Next step is to change the name to Animal Caucasians.

Until I know those crackers are grass-fed instead of given a bunch of gluten, the fight continues on. Welcome to the most important issue of our time.

Back