Nakamura - Sink Or Swim?

Oh man I hope it's AJ/Nak at Greatest Royal Rumble ... lol

Though after that stinker, Nak might be off the card. That was Orton level boring. Best entrance in WM history but meh.

Though after that stinker, Nak might be off the card. That was Orton level boring. Best entrance in WM history but meh.

I guess we'll see. I don't think it was terrible but it was definitely way below expectations, I wonder if AJ was really still injured or something.

Pretty bad when you stink up the joint at Wrestlemania, when you're working with AJ Styles.

Nak fucking sucks. It's just a fact, folks.

Nakamura doesn't suck compared to most of the guys in the business today, but your initial post is still fairly accurate. I love his theme song... but that's about it. I want to like Nakamura, but his in-ring work just isn't very good.

When I hear people talk about how amazing Nakamura is, I really wonder if he's getting a pass from younger fans who are into anime and have never been exposed to wrestling's glory days.

Kazuchika Okada is a good Japanese wrestler with charisma. Nakamura, not so much.

Nakamura doesn't suck compared to most of the guys in the business today, but your initial post is still fairly accurate. I love his theme song... but that's about it. I want to like Nakamura, but his in-ring work just isn't very good.

When I hear people talk about how amazing Nakamura is, I really wonder if he's getting a pass from younger fans who are into anime and have never been exposed to wrestling's glory days.

Kazuchika Okada is a good Japanese wrestler with charisma. Nakamura, not so much.

I've never understood the hype. I remember when he first got signed, and everyone was all "Check this match out! Or this other match that Dave Meltzer gave 99 stars to."

So I did. Saw a bunch of sloppy ass kicks and knees, that looked like botches. I was like "That's it? That is the guy everyone is so excited for?" I have no idea what the appeal is, and still don't. He's an enigma to me. You combine his sloppy work, with his cringe inducing mannerisms and promos, and it just boggles my mind at how he has any fans at all.

Compare it to when Neville got signed, and I checked out his shit. Now that was impressive. I was at least sold on his ability. With Nak, I just throw my hands up in air, wondering to this day what everyone sees in this cat.

Dude ruined wrestlemania, but for a Japanese star with limited English skills to win the royal rumble and fight for the belt at mania, that makes him the most successful (male) Japanese import they've ever had in WWE.

I've never understood the hype. I remember when he first got signed, and everyone was all "Check this match out! Or this other match that Dave Meltzer gave 99 stars to."

So I did. Saw a bunch of sloppy ass kicks and knees, that looked like botches. I was like "That's it? That is the guy everyone is so excited for?" I have no idea what the appeal is, and still don't. He's an enigma to me. You combine his sloppy work, with his cringe inducing mannerisms and promos, and it just boggles my mind at how he has any fans at all.

Compare it to when Neville got signed, and I checked out his shit. Now that was impressive. I was at least sold on his ability. With Nak, I just throw my hands up in air, wondering to this day what everyone sees in this cat.
most of those same people were all excited when the ascension was brought up too. i have come to realize the more excited the people are about new talents, the less likely it is that they won't suck

most of those same people were all excited when the ascension was brought up too. i have come to realize the more excited the people are about new talents, the less likely it is that they won't suck

Can't say I remember too much Ascension hype. I actually remember a lot of NXT marks in here warning everyone that they were shit.

Now, replace The Ascension with The Revival, and I'd agree. I swear, those midgets get hype, solely because one guy kinda looks and acts like Arn Anderson. Those guys suck, and are going nowhere fast.

Can't say I remember too much Ascension hype. I actually remember a lot of NXT marks in here warning everyone that they were shit.

Now, replace The Ascension with The Revival, and I'd agree. I swear, those midgets get hype, solely because one guy kinda looks and acts like Arn Anderson. Those guys suck, and are going nowhere fast.
i have a terrible memory, but i seem to remember some excitement. definitely agree with the revival too. their gimmick seems to actually be that they dont do anything and they have no personality. well, at least they didnt lie

That's why I've always said it's difficult to gauge how "great" a wrestler is or how over said wrestler is until they get to the WWE. Alot of indy wrestlers can only be great if they can wrestle a certain style, and usually said style is a dangerous style and not conducive to a long career nor to that of their opponents. Without an extremely "strong style" match, it's hard to say Nakamura will be anything close to what he was in Japan.

And that's why I've always believed (over the past 14 years) that Styles is the best wrestler in the world once he walks between the ropes but even then, I had a qualifier that it's hard to say he's the best until he gets into the WWE ring and can get it done. Once AJ stepped into a WWE, the transition was smooth as butter and he didn't even have to say a single word. He was the best in ring wrestler in TNA, he was the best in ring wrestler on the indys, he was the best in ring wrestler for two years in Japan, and now is proving it in the WWE. No matter where he goes, no matter the rules or ring/wrestling etiquette, AJ has proven he gets it done any and everywhere. On a side note, that's why it's hard for me to say Omega is better than AJ and Omega doesn't appear to be stupid so he will likely never come to the WWE.

Now back to Nakamura, while promo skills definitely help, all you have to do is watch him in the ring, no volume, and you can tell the guy is gold. Nakamura is very much a hit or miss in the ring and add that to little to no mic skills, it's going to be extremely hard to get over. And when you work with AJ and your match isn't even as good, nor entertaining, as Shane's match against AJ, the issue may be you.

Lastly, it's like what Jericho said. There is a WWE style that you will have to learn and hopefully Nakamura can learn it and adapt to it but I'm not confident it will happen. His style, his matches, his body just doesn't blow you away and you don't come away from his matches in a bit of awe. Now I'm not saying he's Warrior because he's 10x the wrestler Warrior is but the best part of a Nakamura match since he's been in the WWE has been the entrance...and I even enjoyed Nakamura when he was in Japan

Last edited:
I tried to warn you. I really did. Nak will be a mid-card jobber by Summerslam. Only a matter of time before they retool his character, and really start fucking with him.

giphy.gif

Since you said this he won the Royal Rumble and was in a title match at Wrestlemania, and has turned heel. He's not a midcard jobber and his character hasn't been "fucked with".

Summerslam, bruh.

This is just the beginning...

Summerslam, bruh.

This is just the beginning...

My point is he's been on an upward trajectory since that post ... went from losing title matches on weaker ppvs, to winning the Rumble and being in a marquee Mania match. Assuming he interferes in tonight's main event, he's in the WWE title scene until at least a couple months before Summerslam.

The heel turn was a good idea though.

Yeah, I like it. It's better than them keeping him as is, and thinking a theme song will carry him.

I still don't think he has the talent to pull it off though. This is just step one of his journey into obscurity. As much as I like the change in direction, he's gonna have to be one damn good heel, and have the diversity to pull it off, and full disclosure here....I highly doubt it works out. He's still the same dude, with the same shitty style, and lack of promo skills, only he's making a frowny face now. Big whoop.

My point is he's been on an upward trajectory since that post ... went from losing title matches on weaker ppvs, to winning the Rumble and being in a marquee Mania match. Assuming he interferes in tonight's main event, he's in the WWE title scene until at least a couple months before Summerslam.

He's 0-3 in title matches, and they just gave up on the persona that got him "over".

It's not a good sign when they take a relative newcomer who is supposedly over, and fuck with him this early into his run. It suggests a lack of faith in his current path, and wiping the slate clean.

US Title Hell by Summerslam. Bank on it.

Back