Name a fighter who comes out of a smaller camp and is succesful

Big camps usually just take credit for gifted or already well trained fighters....I’m looking at you winklejohn and dofousport

This. The facts are camps do not create prospects(CM Punk's progress is a perfect example of how you can't create fighters from scratch). If a camp is not recruiting to get fighters in then that camp with become irrelevant at some point because you cannot rely on local talent. MMA is just too niche of a sport.

couldn't tell you everyone training there now nor did I know that having 5 fighters in the top 20 make you a big camp. It's definitely not a small camp how TS is meaning. He's had DJ, Barnett, Bibiano, Caros Fodor etc. Def don't think AMC classifies as a small gym.

I think he meant more like Fusion XCel outside of Orlando which has been the home of Jacare in his last 2 fights and was the gym that birthed the legend that is known as "Platinum"

Had Rich Franklin and Tim Boestch as well.

Isnt Fusion inside a mall ? Never seen such a thing but would imagine being weird with many people passing by and just watching you all the time.

Had Rich Franklin and Tim Boestch as well.

Isnt Fusion inside a mall ? Never seen such a thing but would imagine being weird with many people passing by and just watching you all the time.

yeah lol it's in a mall. The place has a movie theater and stuff like in it too, I can't tell you the exact location off the top of my head as far as where it's placed in the mall, but, I would assume that would be kinda weird too. Or it could just be getting you used to having eyes on you. Might help with your reaction to it when you actually do get in the cage.

Was it considered a big camp though? Always seemed like three dudes in a basement

You got to be joking. I'm not sure how long you have been following MMA but they were the camp of the early to mid 00's until right around MMA started to get big. Robbie Lawler went there right after high school to train. Lesnar went there really early on as well when he was in his early stages of deciding to do MMA.

UFC strawweight champ Rose Namajunas is at the 303 Training Center.

Undefeated (6-0) UFC women's bantamweight Aspen Ladd is at MMA Gold.

Valentina Shevchenko seems to be more associated with her coach Pavel Fedotov than with any particular large MMA camp.

Rich Franklin. Started out in his tool shed with some youtube vids :)
Yeah, almost a decade before youtube was launched and developed minimal content...

AFAIR, Rich did train locally. going to a different places around Cincinnati for S&C, MT, boxing and grappling (At least he had Jorge Gurgel in Cincy).

Last edited:
Yeah, almost a decade before youtube was launched and developed minimal content...

AFAIR, Rich did train locally. going to a different places around Cincinnati for S&C, MT, boxing and grappling (At least he had Jorge Gurgel in Cincy).
Maybe it wasnt Youtube but he did start in his tool shed with a few bjj vids

whittaker... i dont know where and i dont care lol

jon jones started from a small gym then jackson took him in

brock lesnar trains here in minnesota
Im certain Whittaker was training at tri star for a decent period of time.

Might be wrong though and most likely I am lmaom

Maybe it wasnt Youtube but he did start in his tool shed with a few bjj vids
Sure, many pionneers resorted to that, because there was no other way in most places, especially for BJJ. At the turn of the century even some mithical camps had Blue belts as they BJJ coach/expert. But when Rich turned elite, he had a nice group (For those times, pretty good) assembled locally.

Last edited:
6 pages and no-one made the "Team alpha male is a small team"-joke yet?

Truly sherdog has changed.

in Hawaii the area he's from is well known for producing kickboxers/boxers. the town he's from, Waianae, is a tough place. in Hawaii, most locals know how to fight, but in Waianae they took it to another level.

like how football is just an ingrained part of the culture for Texas and other places like SoCal, fighting is like that for Hawaii, and especially Waianae, where they've been training to box/kickbox from before the UFC was even a thing.

being a striker and coming from Waianae, is like being a gangster and coming from Compton. in Hawaii, it legitimizes you instantly.

I dont disagree with anything you said, just that someone brags about being from a "tough" place in Hawaii. There are problems everywhere of course, but really?

Back