Name movies where the killer had no motive

The thread about iconic slasher movie remakes got me thinking. Rob Zombie's Halloween remake gave michael meyers a motive and reason for killing. And that's a stupid mistake, imo.

Scream laid it out for any aspiring horror movie directors. It's scarier when there's no motive! But then, and i have no clue why, even Scream immediately disregarded it's own advice, and Billy Loomis explained why he started killing, with some generic " your mom fucked my dad and my mom left us because of it." Boo hoo...cry baby.

@3:00

How much better would it have been if billy and stu said that line about scarier with no motive, and left it at that!? That would've meant it was just 2 psychos who watched too many scary movies and went nuts. Better that way, imo. Plus it would've made more of a social commentary about how far is too far in terms of movies, games and music.

But I'm trying to remember movies where the killer had zero motive and the audience never knew why they did what they did. Imo it's always scarier when the viewer's own imagination has to fill in the blanks. So what all can you come up with? It can be horror movies, sci fi, thrillers, mysteries...whatever.

I'll start:

Alien

Armegeddon lol

No wonder you didn't get SCREAM.

Your argument was "change the movie and it's different." Is that a quote from Plato?

Watch Cabin in the Woods. That film was written to make fun of the tropes of the slasher genre, as well as others. They didn't just put in a character that lists tropes of the genre every now and then.

Watch Cabin in the Woods. That film was written to make fun of the tropes of the slasher genre, as well as others. They didn't just put in a character that lists tropes of the genre every now and then.
So we're bringing in unrelated films, are we? Oooooookay.

Nick-Diaz-hands-up.jpg

Which one did you see first?

You were clearly just a small child in 96, or possibly not even born yet. I know I'm right about that. U don't understand what scream was when it first came out. It was a fucking game changer and saved an entire genre. And it put brains into slasher flicks. U are just a millennial so u don't know and u will never know.

Not true, the other characters are great including Ghostface himself. Its also a stupid ass argument. Take Bruce Campbell out of Evil Dead and what do you get?

Not even remotely similar, Bruce Campbell is the main character in Evil Dead. Remove that guy from Scream and your have the same film minus some guy telling you if you have sex you'll die.

You were clearly just a small child in 96, or possibly not even born yet. I know I'm right about that. U don't understand what scream was when it first came out. It was a fucking game changer and saved an entire genre. And it put brains into slasher flicks. U are just a millennial so u don't know and u will never know.

Any more clichés you want to throw out? Stick to Waa Waa. It suits you better.

Adam Brenner in Fatal Charm.

MV5BOTE1OTYxNjY4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzI3ODk1MDE@._V1_UY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

No motive at all...

I didn't like Devil's Rejects at all but HO1000C was a lot of fun IMO. Definitely one of the standout horror flicks of the 00's for me, along with the Hills Have Eyes remake. Inbred hicks are cinematic gold

I was the opposite. I found HO1000 to be way too over the top while Devils Rejects seemed more "realistic", which made it a lot scarier imo

Back