Name one band that came out in the last 10 years that is now a household name

We live in a world where Imagine Dragons is the biggest rock band, U2 still makes the most money, and that god awful Zombie metal cover gets tons of play. Can't really complain about 21 pilots.

I’m not complaining about them. I’m simply saying they aren’t a household name. They are not even on the radar.

I feel like I need TRT after hearing an Imagine Dragons song.

There’s plenty that do real well for themselves but if you’re looking to somebody to match with the Stones or Metallica you’re going to have a hard time.
It’s not just that rock isn’t mainstream to that level anymore, it’s just newer bands aren’t as good as those bands. Younger people will be rightfully inclined to listen to older rock which is still very mainstream and not just with the people who grew up with it.

You’re exactly right abou that. I think that’s the point TS is trying to make.

I’m sure there are some really good, real bands out there. And by real I mean not a bunch of session guys who got together and already had access to producers and a studio as well as record company connections (Five Finger Dick Punch). The problem is that record companies are not looking for them anymore. They’re looking for solo artists so they only have to pay one person. Sure they may hire some session guys to play on the record and tour with them, but those guys get paid shit. And they aren’t looking to take chances on bands that do anything new. They want to control the trajectory of musical trends. That way they always know what will sell and what won’t, and can always have a steady stream of revenue.

So they look for solo artists who will give them creative control to an extent, so they can make sure the songs will sell, then they payolla the shit out of radio stations, variety shows, talk shows, and whatever other platforms they can leverage, and make sure that it’s the only mainstream music anyone can even hear.

It was beginning in the late 90s and early 2000s with corporate metal. I remember seeing some of the bands blowing up at that time, like Disturbed, and thinking “this is the beginning of the end for mainstream music.” It turns out I was right.

Imagine Dragons write music designed to sell smart phones. Not an ounce of soul

You're thinking about it wrong though. The paradigm has shifted and mainstream music is shit. Just because a band isn't mainstream doesn't mean they're not good. I like a shit ton of new bands that aren't mainstream.

Who cares?

Back