Name one policy of the opposite aisle that you agree with

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'll go first

Leave science to the scientists. Also stop basing policy off of religious beliefs.

Your turn

Edit* other side of the aisle.

Cutting spending to bring down the deficit. :(

There's actually a lot. I would classify myself as right wing, but socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Things I agree with the left on off the top of my head.

-Abortion
-Legalization of marijuana, decriminalization of all narcotics for personal use.
-Legalization of sex work
-Universal health care (our Canadian system is FAR from perfect, but I don't think someone should go into the poor house after a cancer diagnosis).
-gay marriage, etc.
-leaving religion out of decisions that effect everyone.

I tried really hard, but can't find anything. Republicans are wrong about everything, while Democrats are wrong 90% of the time.

i do agree that bureaucracy is a problem.

for example, if you allow for "free" and universal healthcare, people will abuse it. you'll have emergency room visits for all kinds of stupid shit that we're all expected to pay for, and all manner of other problems like that. some countries protect against those problems, but they are large potential problems.

i also like promoting personal responsibility. even if you are given a shitty starting point in life because of society, or your government's policies, unfortunately, it will still largely rest on YOUR shoulders to pull yourself out. even if that isnt the way it should be, that is the way it probably will be. protest. vote. complain. but mostly you need to work your ass off to get ahead.

with the above in mind, government "aid" can be problematic. it needs to be contingent upon things, or else you can cripple people. make them dependent, though, many liberals realize this as well.

If you agree with something, then you're on the side of it.

If you believe there is an inherent "left" or "right" position to any idea, you might be a moron.

There's actually a lot. I would classify myself as right wing, but socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

-Abortion
-Legalization of marijuana, decriminalization of all narcotics for personal use.
-Legalization of sex work
-Universal health care (our Canadian system is FAR from perfect, but I don't think someone should go into the poor house after a cancer diagnosis).
-gay marriage, etc.
-leaving religion out of decisions that effect everyone.
Im going to agree with pretty much everything said here minus universal health care (in the current state of its evolution by liberals) and your usage of affect.

I tried really hard, but can't find anything. Republicans are wrong about everything, while Democrats are wrong 90% of the time.

^--- This is the type of person who is bad for our country or any country. A mindless, partisan, hateful hack.

On second thought I guess the Trump administration is doing right on China, but that is not standard Republican free trading policies.

If you agree with something, then you're on the side of it.

If you believe there is an inherent "left" or "right" position to any idea, you might be a moron.

youre speaking about an ideal that doesnt really exist. the TS is speaking about reality.

-Abortion

Uh oh, we got one of them Libertarians in here...

I dont know where I am on the political aisle anymore. I have been a pretty strong leftist all my life but I dont like they way identity politics has infected it recently. I am against unfettered and unaccountable global capital and am for looking after the people in your nation first and sharing in your nations prosperity so I am with the left on education, health and welfare( to an extent as a safety net- I am with the right on working for welfare provided you dont have a disability or are a primary carer) I am with the traditional right on immigration , however both the left and right both support mass immigration for different reasons_ ie humanitarian concerns vs cheap labour and house keepers/nannys etc. I think class is more important than race/ gender identity and as a society it is good to strive to give everyone as equal opportunity as possible through quality education and health services. I am with the right with military spending but with the left with use of military.

What the opposite of libertarian except for foreign policy (noninterventionist always)?

I'm left on most issues but I'm good with the death penalty. I can't think of any other ones because as I'm going through their positions I realize I'm not a bigot.

Republican social policies seemed designed to discriminate against different groups of people and I'm completely against that.

Abortion - women
Healthcare - poor people
Gay marriage - gays
Immigration - people not from the US
Welfare - poor people
Environment - Everyone
Education - Poor people

Man, republicans really hate poor people

The Democrats' suggested "no fly list" for suspected terrorists purchasing weapons was a clear violation of the Second Amendment and of principles of due process.

Giving into reactive and impulsive policy whims re gun control sets a slippery precedent.

However, on areas like economics, campaign finance, environmental regulation, voting rights, healthcare, and basically all domestic policy other than gun regulations, the Republican Party's platform is objectively bunk and aimed exclusively at giving power to the rich and to corporations that fund the Party. It's really reprehensible how blatantly corrupt and unprincipled the GOP has become, and they realized they can rely on pure tribalism to fuel support of policies that hurt 99% of the electorate (and which are not very popular at all).

I’m no Iran deal expert but I prefer Obama’s stance compared to what Pompous Pompeo told today!

The 12-steps program basically means that the only thing that can normalize relationships with the “Free World” is for the regime there to fall.

Smart people don't have an "opposite side." Chimps do.

Left:
REAL socialized medicine. Obamacare was worse than anything. Our medical system is corrupt and sold out. It hurts more people than it helps, or close. Time for a big change. Let very rich folks pay for extra special care, wtevr.

Formerly workers rights, and distrust of "the world economy." They abandoned this, and their retarded extremist didn't care in light of super important issues like being overly polite and defferential towards cross dressers. As a matter of fact, I think the parties changed their positions on this in the last election. It's like thee most important issue.

Formerly civil rights. I would have been a civil rights activist in the 50's-70s. I would have been holding hands and marching. Any group getting extra rights over others based on race is wrong.. Of course that last part is another reason I finally couldn't vote D this last time.

Right:
Establishment conservative? Being that they solely focused on bad economics on behalf of special interests, I never really liked them much. IN THEORY pushing for a respect for traditional morals and values is becoming more needed. People of faith are generally not the worst of us, and conservatives walk the walk in holding communities together.

It's too late to make major changes in gun control, and criminals coming out of urban areas (sorry, I live very close to detroit, so not gonna lie for ya) would be left with guns, and are already a problem.. Along with criminals born in otherwise decent communities. Enough of those as well.

Not blaming white culture for spreading civilization, and the women not being weirdo flakes who hate father.

Abortion? I think women should get fined after their first, maybe second. One mulligan, and it has to be in the first 10 weeks.

I basically identify with normal, logically thinking Independants, who respect or even take part in faith, who are also scientifically literate, who as Americans, are not ashamed to put our interests first as every other country does. I also am starting to like the Independants who are talking back to the lunacy of the left on social issues, and rewritten history.

Last edited:
Smart people don't have an "opposite side." Chimps do.

This.

I tend to vote Democrat more often than not but the super liberal really piss me off. And the far right are disgraceful, egocentric human beings. I have no idea how someone can relate so heavily with either party.

I think they're right about transwomen not being women etc. That's about all I can think of. Not necessarily a right wing idea, though so.

Back