Name some underrated tv shows. Name some overrated tv shows.

The Detectorists is another one that is not really under rated but no one watches it. Series 3 has just started as well...hype.

This show is a triumph.

No exaggeration, this show has moments of quiet elation that bring me to tears.

Have you seen the series finale yet? It's glorious.

"What have you done."
"It's all right."
"They'll send people 'round. They'll take Stan."
"It's all right Andy."
"We'll go to prison."
"Andy."
"You'll go to prison."
"My mum's going to lend us the money, I've got it right here."
"Why didn't you fucking tell me, I nearly passed out."
"It's ours, Andy. We won it."
"I can't feel my legs."

The final episode of Detectorists is “one of the most satisfying conclusions ever”

There is so much love for Detectorists. On any day of the week, just type in its hashtag and you’ll find posts like “one of the finest shows ever written”, “the antidote to Trump, Brexit and reality TV” and “please don’t let it be the last series”. Sherlock actor Amanda Abbington is among its famous fans, calling it “glorious television comedy at its best”.

In three short seasons plus a Christmas special, Mackenzie Crook’s sylvan sitcom has created a buzz among viewers wanting a remedy to hateful ti
mes. Ostensibly it’s about two nerdy, 40-something men indulging their metal-detecting hobby while real life is passing them by.

And yes, this Poundland Time Team is searching for gold, but dig below the surface and it’s about so much more: history, conservation, love, family, friendship, the quiet achievements of ordinary people… these are the treasures of life, not material things.​

Back