Nazi camp guards charged with hundreds of Holocaust killings

No but you can do the whataboutism all day it this doesn't change the fact Nazi apologists try and use Dresden as some sort of "fact" for why the allies were just as bad or to take focus off of what the Germans did. Dresden with a legitimate military target and legal under law at the time. What else are you supposed to do against a fanatical enemy that wont surrender? Wehraboos are obsessed with Dresden but its just one small action in a World War where much worse things happened.

Strawman artist you are. So I'm now a Nazi apologist because I think it was wrong to kill 10s of thousands of innocent people?

"One small action", but we can agree it was uneccessary and wrong?

As a philosopher, it's not the size, it's the principle. If it was uneccessary and wrong, it was wrong regardless of scale.

Strawman artist you are. So I'm now a Nazi apologist because I think it was wrong to kill 10s of thousands of innocent people?

"One small action", but we can agree it was uneccessary and wrong?

As a philosopher, it's not the size, it's the principle. If it was uneccessary and wrong, it was wrong regardless of scale.

So the allies bombed a German city trying to end the war sooner what about It, yeah it was horrible it happened but why do people like you keep bringing it up what does it prove? Germany was still fighting and continuing the genocide that shit had to end.

So the allies bombed a German city trying to end the war sooner what about It, yeah it was horrible it happened but why do people like you keep bringing it up what does it prove? Germany was still fighting and continuing the genocide that shit had to end.

I brought it up because of this thread. This thread talks about how we should go back 70+ years and charge people with war crimes for WW2 ... for killing innocent people.

My whole point is, as a principle, do we go back and find every 90+ year old that killed innocents in WW2 and throw them in prison??

You say people "keeping bringing up Dresden" ... well, arguably, the same can be said for people keep bringing up the holocaust ... much more so than 20+ million dead Russians and 20+ million dead Chinese ... More so than Stalin's 10 million dead Ukrainians ...

Last edited:
Hopefully these 93 year old men are locked up for life.

I brought it up because of this thread. This thread talks about how we should go back 70+ years and charge people with war crimes for WW2 ... for killing innocent people.

My whole point is, as a principle, do we go back and find every 90+ year old that killed innocents in WW2 and throw them in prison?? I don't agree with this position.

You say people "keeping bringing up Dresden" ... well, arguably, the same can be said for people keep bringing up the holocaust ... much more so than 20+ million dead Russians and 20+ million dead Chinese ... More so than Stalin's 10 million dead Ukrainians ...

Oh yes bring up Stalin and the Chinese, yes Stalin was evil and a piece of shit but that doesn't change anything. People that participated in the holocaust must pay for their crimes it' a matter of princple.

Doesn't make any sense to bring Dresden into the argument strategic bombing was the best option to cripple industry and mass transportation at the time and every country practiced it, to single it out doesn't make sense.

Oh yes bring up Stalin and the Chinese, yes Stalin was evil and a piece of shit but that doesn't change anything. People that participated in the holocaust must pay for their crimes it' a matter of princple.

Doesn't make any sense to bring Dresden into the argument strategic bombing was the best option to cripple industry and mass transportation at the time and every country practiced it, to single it out doesn't make sense.

So, according to you, ONLY the people that partipated in killing Jewish people should be punished? The holocaust also included ethnic Poles and Romani and Soviet POWs BTW ... who you never really hear about.

The Russians that participated in killing 10 million Ukrainians should go unpunished?

The Japanese that participated in killing 10+ million Chinese should go unpunished?

I brought up Dresden because it was largely considered the unnecessary killing of innocent people. As a principle, this is wrong. Should we also retrospectively go back and find the people who participated in this and punish them too?

Please stick to principles.

Last edited:
So, according to you, ONLY the people that partipated in killing Jewish people should be punished? The holocaust also included ethnic Poles and Romani BTW ... who you never really hear about.

The Russians that participated in killing 10 million Ukrainians should go unpunished?

The Japanese that participated in killing 10+ million Chinese should go unpunished?

I brought up Dresden because it was the unnecessary killing of innocent people. As a principle, this is wrong.

Please stick to principles.

Lol no just because I didn't include them doesn't mean people that do horrible things like that shouldn't go unpunishd way to try and twist my words. Why not bring up and different city that that got bombed or worse Leningrad or Warsa, maybe when the Germans started bombing London for years, but it's always Dresden for some reason.

Lol no just because I didn't include them doesn't mean people that do horrible things like that shouldn't go unpunishd way to try and twist my words. Why not bring up and different city that that got bombed or worse Leningrad or Warsa, maybe when the Germans started bombing London for years, but it's always Dresden for some reason.

Well, most people think of Auschwitz when you mention the holocaust. And don't mention the camp at "Treblinka" or any of the other lesser known ones.

The bombing of Dresden is more common knowledge. Why not use it? I don't know what you are trying to say here.

My point still stands, going back after 70+ years and retrospectively punishing people that participated in killing innocent people (not just Jewish people, but Russians, Chinese, Germans, Poles) ... it seems pointless.

Also, you said earlier that people who participated in the holocaust should be punished ... how about those who indirectly participated?? The cooks, mailmen, engineers, roadsweepers etc. Should they be punished, too? As a matter of principle?

Should we just imprison all 90+ year old Germans just to be sure?? I would say that all decision making Nazi's from WW2 ... are pretty much dead now.

Well, most people think of Auschwitz when you mention the holocaust. And don't mention the camp at "Treblinka" or any of the other lesser known ones.

The bombing of Dresden is more common knowledge. Why not use it? I don't know what you are trying to say here.

My point still stands, going back after 70+ years and retrospectively punishing people that participated in killing innocent people (not just Jewish people, but Russians, Chinese, Germans, Poles) ... it seems pointless.

Also, you said earlier that people who participated in the holocaust should be punished ... how about those who indirectly participated?? The cooks, mailmen, engineers, roadsweepers etc. Should they be punished, too? As a matter of principle?

Should we just imprison all 90+ year old Germans just to be sure?? I would say that all decision making Nazi's from WW2 ... are pretty much dead now.

Because every time time there is a discussion about Nazi stuff someone always comes along and says "what about Dresden?" like its supposed to mean something.

Mostly cant go back and punish those people because nobody knows what the hell was going on it was a fucking mess. The Germans just happened to very good at record keeping so its easy to track these people down.

It might be pointless but they did commit a crime and they should be punished for it. As for all the other Germans why would they be imprisoned they were not breaking any laws sure they were supporting a genocidal lunatic wage a war that would destroy tens of millions lives but whatever.

Civilians die in war its just how it is but there is a difference when people are actively killing them and when they are getting killed as collateral.

You can argue whataboutism all day but its doesnt change the laws and what happened, I never hear people bring up what the Checks did near and after the end of the war.

lots of people did lots of horrible things at least we can try to bring some people to justice.

Because every time time there is a discussion about Nazi stuff someone always comes along and says "what about Dresden?" like its supposed to mean something.

Mostly cant go back and punish those people because nobody knows what the hell was going on it was a fucking mess. The Germans just happened to very good at record keeping so its easy to track these people down.

It might be pointless but they did commit a crime and they should be punished for it. As for all the other Germans why would they be imprisoned they were not breaking any laws sure they were supporting a genocidal lunatic wage a war that would destroy tens of millions lives but whatever.

Civilians die in war its just how it is but there is a difference when people are actively killing them and when they are getting killed as collateral.

You can argue whataboutism all day but its doesnt change the laws and what happened, I never hear people bring up what the Checks did near and after the end of the war.

lots of people did lots of horrible things at least we can try to bring some people to justice.
Im going to highlight a distinction your post briefly pointed to.

Yes, firestorming Dresden was brutal. But there's a big difference between brutally attacking an enemy nation that is currently resisting, with callous disregard for civilian casualties, and massacring your own citizens, or that of already subjugated countries. One has some sort of war-time purpose, even if it is, on net, condemnable. The other is unadulterated evil.

The comparison minimizes the particular evil that is genocide, and that's where accusations of apologetics become legitimate. One is bad, but the other is worse, and to compare it to the first is a failure to recognize that.

Yes, firestorming Dresden was brutal. But there's a big difference between brutally attacking an enemy nation that is currently resisting, with callous disregard for civilian casualties, and massacring your own citizens, or that of already subjugated countries. One has some sort of war-time purpose, even if it is, on net, condemnable. The other is unadulterated evil.

The comparison minimizes the particular evil that is genocide, and that's where accusations of apologetics become legitimate. One is bad, but the other is worse, and to compare it to the first is a failure to recognize that.

Yeah spot on it's a necessary evil that had to happen to end something that had done much more damage. It's a reaction of total war when you're entire country's population and resources are contributing to the war.

Yeah spot on it's a necessary evil that had to happen to end something that had done much more damage. It's a reaction of total war when you're entire country's population and resources are contributing to the war.

Why is it more necessary to involve ourselves in that instance than all the other times we did not involve ourselves? The times we did involve ourselves, though, is because of selfish reasons. It was not because we needed to stop some "evil".

Is the reason we went to war, to save the Jews? Why just offer a piece of land to keep all the jews in, and not let them bother the Germans ever again?

Why is it more necessary to involve ourselves in that instance than all the other times we did not involve ourselves? The times we did involve ourselves, though, is because of selfish reasons. It was not because we needed to stop some "evil".

Are you saying we should have left Germany alone? I dint really ubderstand what you are asking but it sounds like more whataboutism

I disagree. If you've won the war. You've won.

No need to continue killing innocent people for "revenge" for what soldiers did. Continuing the cycle of violence.
NO i was not referring to continued killing after the US won and had full surrender.

I was asking if you think the US would be right to punish those who orchestrated the attack and to demand financial restitution from Canada for their citizens losses DESPITE the fact that the US might have done more damage to Canadian citizens in winning the war?

Your prior point seems to suggest you would say 'both sides suffered losses so there should be no further punishment or restitution'.

My whole point is, as a principle, do we go back and find every 90+ year old that killed innocents in WW2 and throw them in prison??

Ok so you shouldnt be against the trials at all....just in favor of add’l accountability for other events.

Back