NBA urges players to voice themselves on social issues.

Are we likely to see the NBA promoting social justice this season?

• Total voters
R

ripskater

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts co-signed a preseason letter to the league's players encouraging them in the pursuit of social consciousness.

In the letter, obtained by ESPN, Silver and Roberts told the players, "None of us operates in a vacuum. Critical issues that affect our society also impact you directly. Fortunately, you are not only the world's greatest basketball players -- you have real power to make a difference in the world, and we want you know that the Players Association and the League are always available to help you figure out the most meaningful way to make that difference."

i

espnapi_mag_nbasilver01_py_576x324_wmain.jpg

Michele Roberts and Adam Silver are encouraging NBA players to be socially conscious. Jennifer S. Altman/Washington Post/Getty Images
The NBA's letter comes as the NFL grapples with its players' social expressions, including players kneeling during the national anthem.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20621478/nba-union-pen-letter-players-urging-social-awareness

I took a knee during the National Anthem wowww I'm soo edgy.

Why do none of the black athletes speak out against black on black violence? Or the lack of co-operation with Police in black communities?

You know, when I look at all of these pro-atheletes with IQs < 90, most of which barely passed college with throwaway degrees, even with the institution basically forcing professors to pass them...I always think to myself I would be very interested to hear this man's political insights.

Why do none of the black athletes speak out against black on black violence? Or the lack of co-operation with Police in black communities?
The NBA and NFL sorta has a thug culture. You'll see some seemingly well raised black men get to the league and then decide that they have to get street cred and tattoo up so much of their body. Even many of the white guys do that too. Then some are also getting in trouble with the law

RACIST.

You CANNOT bring up black on black violence. Statistics are white privilege.

Why are right wingers so triggered about this? You snowflakes need a safe space?

You know, when I look at all of these pro-atheletes with IQs < 90, most of which barely passed college with throwaway degrees, even with the institution basically forcing professors to pass them...I always think to myself I would be very interested to hear this man's political insights.
Well I do think there are some intelligent athletes in the NBA and the NFL. But I thinks it's more the peer pressure and less about IQ scores. If you want to be black or have street cred, then you must have certain social and political views.

This is the big reason that viewership of professional sports is significantly down. People want to root for a hero and this is getting more difficult to find in today's professional sports!

This is the big reason that viewership of professional sports is significantly down. People want to root for a hero and this is getting more difficult to find in today's professional sports!
Well said.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts co-signed a preseason letter to the league's players encouraging them in the pursuit of social consciousness.

In the letter, obtained by ESPN, Silver and Roberts told the players, "None of us operates in a vacuum. Critical issues that affect our society also impact you directly. Fortunately, you are not only the world's greatest basketball players -- you have real power to make a difference in the world, and we want you know that the Players Association and the League are always available to help you figure out the most meaningful way to make that difference."

i

espnapi_mag_nbasilver01_py_576x324_wmain.jpg

Michele Roberts and Adam Silver are encouraging NBA players to be socially conscious. Jennifer S. Altman/Washington Post/Getty Images
The NBA's letter comes as the NFL grapples with its players' social expressions, including players kneeling during the national anthem.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20621478/nba-union-pen-letter-players-urging-social-awareness

yes, if there is a shining instance of blacks being oppressed and impoverished it is the fucking NBA.

Have fun with your ratings.

yes, if there is a shining instance of blacks being oppressed and impoverished it is the fucking NBA.

Have fun with your ratings.
Blacks dominate the NBA.

And the opportunity they have in this country to play a sport they love should make a man grateful for that country.

Blacks dominate the NBA.

And the opportunity they have in this country to play a sport they love should make a man grateful for that country.

I say Ben Shapiro leads a lawsuit against the NBA for unfair bias against 5'9 jewish guys

Great. Now the country will not only be figuratively talked down to by more extremely wealthy entertainers, but literally too.

It will be just like here. The NBA will laud any player espousing social justice and censor/fine/suspend any players that challenge the narrrative.

This will back fire hard because a lot of the players will L'ip Wayne when asked.

Just lol @ all the comments calling him an uncle Tom and a homo.

I can not stand politics and social justice nonsense mixed in with professional sports. The movement towards this in sports will lose them viewers. I stopped watching the NBA in the mid 2000s so I really don't care what they do.

Back