NBA vs NHL: Golden State Warriors Refuse White House Visit/Pittsburgh Penguins Will Accept

TheStruggle

Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
In the last 48 hours, The Pittsburgh Penguins and the Golden State Warriors have won the championship of their respected sport. However, the team have polar opposite reactions to celebrating their championships at the White House

The Warriors have “unanimously” decided not to go to the White House and be honored by President Donald Trump, according multiple reports, including one from CNBC analyst Josh Brown. But the Warriors’ organization and players haven’t released any official statement on the report.

If the decision holds true — which was reported less than 24 hours after Golden State defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 129-120 — it comes to little surprise as multiple members of the Warriors’ franchise have expressed dislike toward the president, including head coach Steve Kerr, guard Stephen Curry and forward David West.

Kerr went on a rant in November about the election and said: “the man who’s going to lead you has routinely used racist, misogynist, insulting words.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/warriors-unanimously-decline-white-house-visit-report/

Meanwhile...

The Penguins’ Stanley Cup victory hasn’t earned them an invitation to the White House. Not yet, anyway.

But if one comes, they will accept it.

“The Pittsburgh Penguins would never turn down a visit to the White House and, if invited, we would go as a team,” team CEO/president David Morehouse said Tuesday in a prepared statement.

The interesting twist is that several members of the team’s hierarchy are staunch progressives.

“We respect the office of the presidency of the United States and what it stands for,” he said. “Any opposition or disagreement with a president’s policies, or agenda, can be expressed in other ways.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s-stanley-cup-repeat-nhl/stories/201706130125

You have a lot of foreign players in the NHL. Canadians, Russians, Swedes, etc... It's one thing for American's to protest their President. It doesn't seem right for us foreign people to do it the same way. When you're a foreign player and the white house invites you, it's not a politician who does it... it's the office of the country who you travel to in order to make a living. Gotta be smart how you play that even if you don't like the president.

I have avoided saying any derogatory things about Trump for this reason. It's not my place, and we have enough of our own problems where I come from. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You have a lot of foreign players in the NHL. Canadians, Russians, Swedes, etc... It's one thing for American's to protest their President. It doesn't seem right for us foreign people to do it the same way. When you're a foreign player and the white house invites you, it's not a politician who does it... it's the office of the country who you travel to in order to make a living. Gotta be smart how you play that even if you don't like the president.

I have avoided saying any derogatory things about Trump for this reason. It's not my place, and we have enough of our own problems where I come from. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Well, I like to comment on Trump. But the issue is politics outside the US are so freaking boring. No one is interested in that stuff.
Now I am not saying we should go full blown US entertainment but a bit more would be nice.

Also on the issue at hand. Even if I disagree with Trump I would still go there because IMO you get invited by the president to something like this it's more about being invited by the office of the president. Not so much one person. It's more about the respect of the office or position.

Go or don't go - who cares. Clinton couldn't even pronounce Yzerman properly when the Red Wings went. President's don't have time to get invested in sports when they're in office.

I disagree with this though -
“We respect the office of the presidency of the United States and what it stands for,” he said. “Any opposition or disagreement with a president’s policies, or agenda, can be expressed in other ways.”
They're basically saying you gotta grin and bare it, glad hand and smile like a mook for the President that day. It's not like you're going to be allowed to speak to the President about your disagreements. So the best way to get your counter message out is to boycott rather than be grinning like a chump in the official portrait.

Well, I like to comment on Trump. But the issue is politics outside the US are so freaking boring. No one is interested in that stuff.
Now I am not saying we should go full blown US entertainment but a bit more would be nice.

Also on the issue at hand. Even if I disagree with Trump I would still go there because IMO you get invited by the president to something like this it's more about being invited by the office of the president. Not so much one person. It's more about the respect of the office or position.
I think his foreign policies are up to tackle and the internal ones are kind of none of my business. Fair comment is fair comment though, but I avoid bashing him.

Go or don't go - who cares. Clinton couldn't even pronounce Yzerman properly when the Red Wings went. President's don't have time to get invested in sports when they're in office.

They're basically saying you gotta grin and bare it, glad hand and smile like a mook for the President that day. It's not like you're going to be allowed to speak to the President about your disagreements. So the best way to get your counter message out is to boycott rather than be grinning like a chump in the official portrait.
It's a team though and there is no one political opinion for a team. So in a team setting where you are a representative of a team it's best to keep your personal beliefs and opinions to yourself.

Or maybe they are emotionally smart enough to go "we aren't going to piss off our fanbase and the fanbase of the NHL to make a politically charged decision that only panders to progressives and the far left for the sake of business"

And as progressives even they are smart enough not to mix politics with sports

If you don't want to go, don't go. Really don't give a fuck either way.

But let's not pretend a lot of those Golden State Warriors have articulate reasons as to why they don't like Trump. lol'd @ "racist and misogynistic." Embarrassing progressive-esque shit right there.

What a bunch of self righteous assholes. Why dont they ask Dennis Rodman how racist Trump is towards black people? Or the dozens of black celebrities he had on his shows.

NHL > nba

tumblr_m3j8w1FpYG1qgpjvwo1_500.gif

Most foreign players don't hate Trump because as legal immigrants, his polices don't effect them.

It's a team though and there is no one political opinion for a team. So in a team setting where you are a representative of a team it's best to keep your personal beliefs and opinions to yourself.
I disagree. I'm part of the team to play basketball/hockey. I'm paid to do that. It's my job. I'm not selling out to allow myself to be used as propaganda photo-op for a President I loath.

How many Pittsburgh Penguins are even Americans? A quick glance at their roster is 13 out of 40. Not sure how many are regulars vs minor league guys etc though.

Former nba star, Charles Barkely, failing miserably at hockey.

SirCharles.jpg

Or maybe they are emotionally smart enough to go "we aren't going to piss off our fanbase and the fanbase of the NHL to make a politically charged decision that only panders to progressives and the far left for the sake of business"

And as progressives even they are smart enough not to mix politics with sports
So basically be a sell out.

Waste of tax money. Stupid tradition.

With that said how do straight guys watch basketball. It's a girl sport.

In the last 48 hours, The Pittsburgh Penguins and the Golden State Warriors have won the championship of their respected sport. However, the team have polar opposite reactions to celebrating their championships at the White House

The Warriors have “unanimously” decided not to go to the White House and be honored by President Donald Trump, according multiple reports, including one from CNBC analyst Josh Brown. But the Warriors’ organization and players haven’t released any official statement on the report.

If the decision holds true — which was reported less than 24 hours after Golden State defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers 129-120 — it comes to little surprise as multiple members of the Warriors’ franchise have expressed dislike toward the president, including head coach Steve Kerr, guard Stephen Curry and forward David West.

Kerr went on a rant in November about the election and said: “the man who’s going to lead you has routinely used racist, misogynist, insulting words.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/warriors-unanimously-decline-white-house-visit-report/

Meanwhile...

The Penguins’ Stanley Cup victory hasn’t earned them an invitation to the White House. Not yet, anyway.

But if one comes, they will accept it.

“The Pittsburgh Penguins would never turn down a visit to the White House and, if invited, we would go as a team,” team CEO/president David Morehouse said Tuesday in a prepared statement.

The interesting twist is that several members of the team’s hierarchy are staunch progressives.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s-stanley-cup-repeat-nhl/stories/201706130125
The team is near San Francisco. You have to be anti-Trump if you want to have a job or have any fans out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back