Need a New Lifting Program

mushishi

A is a, a is a, should I save her?
@Silver
Reaction score
I've been swimming and lifting since June 2018 and it's been great for my health. I lost over 30 lbs and my high blood pressure is back within normal range without taking Losartan.

Here's my program:
squat
bench
incline bench
bent over row
military
deadlift
curl

My noob gains are pretty impressive for me, but now my body is starting to break down. Old nagging injuries from wrestling and judo are popping up, I'm feeling more tired, my sessions are taking about 1.5 hours now, and I need to take 2-4 days off to recover.

I'm thinking about taking a break to possibly get surgery for my shoulder impingement. After that, should I do Stronglifts 5x5 or 5-3-1? I'd like to keep sessions under an hour, preferably 30 min or so. I'd like to get stronger and lift heavier, but I don't want to get back to the point where I'm taking 2-4 days off between lifting. I would like to lift 3-4x a week, so maybe 5-3-1? Any other programs worth doing?

Goal at this stage in my life is to just stay fit; not lifting for any sports. Those days are far behind me.

I've been swimming and lifting since June 2018 and it's been great for my health. I lost over 30 lbs and my high blood pressure is back within normal range without taking Losartan.

Here's my program:
squat
bench
incline bench
bent over row
military
deadlift
curl

My noob gains are pretty impressive for me, but now my body is starting to break down. Old nagging injuries from wrestling and judo are popping up, I'm feeling more tired, my sessions are taking about 1.5 hours now, and I need to take 2-4 days off to recover.

I'm thinking about taking a break to possibly get surgery for my shoulder impingement. After that, should I do Stronglifts 5x5 or 5-3-1? I'd like to keep sessions under an hour, preferably 30 min or so. I'd like to get stronger and lift heavier, but I don't want to get back to the point where I'm taking 2-4 days off between lifting. I would like to lift 3-4x a week, so maybe 5-3-1? Any other programs worth doing?

Goal at this stage in my life is to just stay fit; not lifting for any sports. Those days are far behind me.
Easy strength seems less strenuous on the body and I've heard it works very well. Starting strength is way better than strong lifts and has a better progression with the novice, advanced novice, then h/l/m or Texas method progression. My injuries flair up too when I up the intensity and am about to switch to easy strength for the same reason.

~DaViD~

Easy strength seems less strenuous on the body and I've heard it works very well. Starting strength is way better than strong lifts and has a better progression with the novice, advanced novice, then h/l/m or Texas method progression. My injuries flair up too when I up the intensity and am about to switch to easy strength for the same reason.

~DaViD~
Never heard of that program. Researching now. Thanks!

Ditch the curls.
You have three pressing movements for one pull. Ditch the incline or the bench for chin ups.

Spilt that shit up. Drop the incline bench and the curls. Whats your numbers? S/B/D?

i also never heard about this program.need to study more.thank you.

I am in my 4th cycle on 531 not missing any lifts. I have changed my accessory training to be more plyometric based this week and less traditional BB.

Not sure what people consider decent numbers but last "1" squat was 375lb at 185lb of BW and I managed 2 reps (would have likely failed the 3rd)

Here's my program:
squat
bench
incline bench
bent over row
military
deadlift
curl

Check one of my previous posts. My program has generally one heavy set and lots of bodybuilding assistance.

I find the workouts are quite intense, but I recover a breeze and always want to do more.

In fact ignore what I have said above. Go with 5/3/1 and do basic accessory movements for higher reps. The recovery will be no issue.

I prefer to do 5/3/1 in 3 days.

Day 1Deadlift/bench and some assistance - usually hamstrings maybe speed squats, couple sets of pause bench dumbbells for 8-12 reps

Day 2 Accessory work, mostly lots upper back, core and some arm work

Day 3 Squat/Press and shoulder and quad assistance work. Maybe throw in a light speed bench as well, something like 70% of max for 6x2

Write down a list of a bunch of exercises, with different variations
Do 4-6 sessions per week, pick 5-6 exercises out of your list (pull, push, cardio, bodyweight, 3x5/5x5/3x10/3x15, ...) based on what you feel like doing on that day.
After a while, see what motivates you and go with that.

Starting strength will work for everyone but advanced lifters

Do that

Meanwhile

I’m trying to decide my next steps. Basically want to hit my old maxes for 4 without getting fat.

<31> you never heard of Starting Strength?
Lol, I know ss, talking about easy strength, whichmight be a better option for me. Just drained 20 ml of fluid from my knee and got a Hyaluronic acid injection. Don't want too much stress on these worn out joints. Wrestling and judo are big regrets at this stage of my life. Lol

But ss is definitely in the running. Will just have to deload once my body starts breaking down.

Last edited:
Spilt that shit up. Drop the incline bench and the curls. Whats your numbers? S/B/D?
S 245
B 225
Dl 315
1rm
175-180 lbs. Started lifting about 3-4 months ago after long break. But my form is shit. Going to decrease weight and work on cleaning up form.

Check one of my previous posts. My program has generally one heavy set and lots of bodybuilding assistance.

I find the workouts are quite intense, but I recover a breeze and always want to do more.

In fact ignore what I have said above. Go with 5/3/1 and do basic accessory movements for higher reps. The recovery will be no issue.

I prefer to do 5/3/1 in 3 days.

Day 1Deadlift/bench and some assistance - usually hamstrings maybe speed squats, couple sets of pause bench dumbbells for 8-12 reps

Day 2 Accessory work, mostly lots upper back, core and some arm work

Day 3 Squat/Press and shoulder and quad assistance work. Maybe throw in a light speed bench as well, something like 70% of max for 6x2
A top contender. Firaz's interview with rogan made a lot of sense to me. Looking to workout smarter now, and avoid my body breaking down.

Back