need advice on boxing gear

Yahia Muhammad

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi I'v been training boxing for a couple of years now and never had a decent pair of gloves
my first were a pair of cheap everlasts that caused me many wrist injuries
then i bought a pair of titles pro style leather they were a disappointment they were too rough and not true to weight (they were supposed to be 14 they were actually 20) and broke in less than 6 months
now I use a pair of Sabas pro series comfortabl with great protection but I'm noticing some loose stitching this usually means they will break in a matter of months

I need to buy a pair of durable training gloves suitable for both bag work and sparring (I can't afford to buy to pairs) my budget is 150$
also please recommend their size I'm 6'1" and 215 pounds with mid to big hands

thanks

the red are the titles and the Sabas the maroon
27661976_10155799339895733_1915465484_n.jpgIMAG0247.jpg

well here are my problems
1- I don't like Thai style gloves i really like the grip bar
2- I hate squishy pillowy gloves I like to feel some impact on my hands

I've never tried them, but people talk good about Casanova, I wanted to buy them but weren't available few weeks ago, want to try to buy a pair soon. They make only one model handmade in Mexico.

Gloves under 150 USD not thai and after Sabas, I think there are only Casanova.

As for size, since you are a big guy, I would go with 16 or 20, but ask to your trainer too.

Here is a guide with reviews of many gloves, but I think you already seen it since it is the first result you can find on Google:
https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-equipment/best-boxing-gloves-review

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply

I was considering Cletos but I'm a heavy puncher and afraid i might hurt my sparring partners

Thanks for your reply

I was considering Cletos but I'm a heavy puncher and afraid i might hurt my sparring partners

Go with Casanova, they cost less than Cleto and they are more padded! 139USD shipping cost included in USA, if you want them custom they don't apply any fees, but you have to wait 12 weeks. For models in stock you don't have to wait.

https://www.casanovaboxingusa.com

Last edited:
I will surely consider them after my Sabas fall apart
I sent the titles to a leather shoemaker he told me they can be fixed will make a before after photo then

I will surely consider them after my Sabas fall apart
I sent the titles to a leather shoemaker he told me they can be fixed will make a before after photo then

Yeah probably they can be fixed... but first of all comes hand protection... better change them...

What do you think about SABAS pro series? I ordered them I'm waiting for them.

Some people did complain about durability.... I play MMA so I don't punch bag every day... sometime do grappling, or kick boxing ect... so they may last more with me..

Look they re really comfortable the padding is on the right spot between soft and hard I can throw a lot of power punches without my hands feeling sore they are beautiful with really great design and high quality leather
now the draw backs
1- they are quite snug they are tight with hand wraps I use mexican style 180 but they get wider with use
2- after the durability concern i recommend using them for sparring or light bag work

Look they re really comfortable the padding is on the right spot between soft and hard I can throw a lot of power punches without my hands feeling sore they are beautiful with really great design and high quality leather
now the draw backs
1- they are quite snug they are tight with hand wraps I use mexican style 180 but they get wider with use
2- after the durability concern i recommend using them for sparring or light bag work

How long did they last?

Someone told that maybe pro series prime can last more.... but they cost also more!

If it was just for bag and pad work I'd recommend Fairtex BGV9's but they are too hard for sparring :(

How long did they last?

Someone told that maybe pro series prime can last more.... but they cost also more!

well it's hard to say they're still holding up pretty well but they lasted 2 months till now signs of wear and tear on stitching showed early but now they're getting worse
and again I train Boxing so I use them all the time so they will last you longer I guess may be a year

If it was just for bag and pad work I'd recommend Fairtex BGV9's but they are too hard for sparring :(

I was considering them but i heard they are a tight fit with narrow hand compartment
the Sabas are already quite snug

I was considering them but i heard they are a tight fit with narrow hand compartment
the Sabas are already quite snug

If my mate who is 6'7 and 125kg wears them I don't think you'll have a problem with a tight fight lol.

if u ahve 150 budget ucould get a custom pair from top boxer but then ud need shipping too

tbh if i were you id get the ring to cage winning clones for 99 dollars iv heard nothing but good things about them they are basically the go to mid level gloves

stay away from those wussy thai gloves

Back