Need advice on buying a solid elliptical.

Ice That Jaw

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Long story short, I want to get back down to fighting weight but the only realistic way that will happen is if I can have a powerful elliptical in my living room. Something with good resistance and incline so I can engage in intense 15-20min workouts. Otherwise, I get bored and stop.

Anyone have experience with good mid level ellipticals? I'm finding that it's pretty much impossible to buy a machine for the pure mechanics, instead of the fancy electronics. All the models that have the heavier flywheels and higher levels of incline and resistance also have all the fancy screens and app features that I know are adding a couple hundred bucks if not more.

I tried searching for high end older models but none of the online retailers sell them anymore and my Ebay search yielded poor results.

My absolute price point is $1000.

So as far as new models go, I was thinking either...

NordicTrack c9.5 - priciest one but also the heaviest flywheel and most levels of incline. But the reviews are brutal. So many people with defective machines and shitty customer service.

Schwinn 470 - i might be able to get this for under $800 with a holiday sale and it has excellent customer reviews but I'm wondering if it will challenging enough for me after 6 months of regular use.

Any other recommendations or advice. These machines aren't cheap so I want to take my time and not make a shitty choice that I will regret a year from now.

Eeesh, not a fan of Ellipticals at all but if I were in your shoes I would go with the Schwinn.

Do you have a Planet Fitness nearby? I know PF is a sucky gym, but for 10 bucks a month I keep a membership just to have access to a variety of cardiovascular equipment.

I dont know why i stopped the elliptical. It was the only thing that i could do for 45 mins at a high tension and lose fat %.

Do you have a Planet Fitness nearby? I know PF is a sucky gym, but for 10 bucks a month I keep a membership just to have access to a variety of cardiovascular equipment.
i belong to world gym.....$10/month. 4 squat racks, deadlift platform, turf area where they have a sled and a large tire for different exercises, bumper plates, etc. the cardio side is completely separate from where the free weights are. not sure if any of the other world gyms are like that or if its just the one closest to me. worth looking into TS.

i belong to world gym.....$10/month. 4 squat racks, deadlift platform, turf area where they have a sled and a large tire for different exercises, bumper plates, etc. the cardio side is completely separate from where the free weights are. not sure if any of the other world gyms are like that or if its just the one closest to me. worth looking into TS.

That sounds incredible for $10 per month. Don't know if anything like that exists in my area.

That sounds incredible for $10 per month. Don't know if anything like that exists in my area.
its amazing. $20/month will get people into any of the zumba, yoga, etc, plus the regular gym.

Wtf?? Elliptical is the last cardio machine I would use. If you’re gonna spend all that money might as well get an aerodyne or bicycle

Get a used airdyne off Craigslist for a fraction of the cost. Similarly allows non impact concentric training.

High intensity is good, but don't forget you can burn far more calories in a long slow session. Put on a podcast and grind away for an hour.

Wtf?? Elliptical is the last cardio machine I would use. If you’re gonna spend all that money might as well get an aerodyne or bicycle

[Q

i agree with the aerodyne but spending a thousand dollars on a bicycle is just going to be someone elses christmas present unless its one of those bikes where you can disassemble and fold and put in your trunk and put it back together with ease

Last edited:
Back