Need good info on how to fill a heavy bag!!!

No Joke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just ordered a Thai bag from Fairtex, I ordered it unfilled because the price difference was about $100 not tomention what it would've cost to ship it. My question is, has anyone else gone this route when buying a heavy bag and if so, what do you use to fill it?

There's a few ways you can do it.

-If you have garment factories you can go ask them if they have any extra stredded cloth. That is the easiest thing to do.

-You could also try to buy rice from a wholesaler but I wasn't able to fine any at a descent price.

-Or you can collect old rags from your grandma's, neighbors, parents, gf's parents, and friends and cut them up yourself and pack it. It's a bitch but it works. You have to put like a 30lb dumbell on the top of it and kick it so that it packs down.

A fairtex Thai bag would hold up if there was just sand in it and you wouldn't be able to kcik it. Plus it would weigh like 500lbs. I poured like 25lbs in the bottom of mine to hold it still.

i filled mine with old clothes from garage sales and goodwill.
use a broom handle to help pack them down

i was taught that if u mix shreded newspaper with cloth/ pillow stuffing that has dried from bein wetted down. make a good mix

depending on your training style, you would need a sand rag mix, Thai bags are long, and could hold alot of sand, but they would weight like 500 lbs.

If it were me i would line the bag with carpet padding or if your lucky you have some used gym mats. you could probally even past it to the inside walls of the bag.
Fill the rest with your choice of filler. I have read where people put 2x4s of wood to keep them proped.

On a side note if your getting a heavy bag to do grappling drills with, you could probaly safe some time and money buy buying a cheap military duffel bag. kinda the same princpal but you take some glad freezer bags fill them each with 10 lbs of sand duct tape the hell out of the baggies and you have a cheap 10 lb weight, repeat the process, and you have adjustable weights that wont knock you totaly uncouncios. I got this Idea from some grand soul that posted on here before. Its a splended thing!

As you probably already know, most bags are hydrolicly filled with a combination of synthetic fill, aka, shredded rags and sometimes a mixture of sand. I have also heard that some of the Muay Thai bags have a long cylindrical support running down inside the center of the bag to help maintain the shape.

Carpet pad or memory foam has been thrown around as an idea for the internal exterior padding. I would say don't go too heavy on the sand. You may want to try to locate one or two bags at a garage sale (some people even give them away) and empty out the fill to use, and then discard the bags.

It would probably be easier than trying to find 100-130 lbs of rags, and then spend the time to shred them. Good luck!

:icon_chee

depending on your training style, you would need a sand rag mix, Thai bags are long, and could hold alot of sand, but they would weight like 500 lbs.

If it were me i would line the bag with carpet padding or if your lucky you have some used gym mats. you could probally even past it to the inside walls of the bag.
Fill the rest with your choice of filler. I have read where people put 2x4s of wood to keep them proped.

considering this thread was originally posted 4 years ago I would hope they would have managed to fill the bag by now...

considering this thread was originally posted 4 years ago I would hope they would have managed to fill the bag by now...

Lol i know i found this post on the internet, and could not resist imputing my imput! Me and a friend were having a debate earier about this stuff, so i did a little searching around, seams alot of people argee with the same type of fill!

if you want to destroy a bag quick just fill it with sand or rice from top to bottom i just got off the phone with a coach who's partner got leather windy bag when he was in thailand, it was a heavy duty looking bag from what i was told but it only lasted 3months filled 3/4 full with rice

just remember the human body has tons of give i remember the first time i kicked a 200+ pound guy.. trust me it doesn't even feel like a 100lbs thai bag it felt more like i was kicking a pillow. :)

www.gorillagear.ca

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back