need help change in boxing stance because of injury?

listrahtes

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I have an old rotator cuff injury that lets my left arm fatigue much faster than the right arm.
Thats a problem in orthodox as I have a hard time keeping up the volume. Jab / left hook are most used punches by a mile (but I am a beginner so that can all change).

If I stay in orthodox imo I will get problems as soon as I intensify training / sparring more. My idea is if staying in that stance to change to a jab with less output and more faking & power + more straight right. But I like a permanent high volume jab and I dont know if such a fight style is even possible. Kind of maybe just a fishing jab to provoke counters?

With southpaw my idea is that I could keep up the high volume in jabbing / right hook.
Today I did one training session with a lot of footwork and some heavybag only in southpaw.
Right hook was worse than my left but that can be fixed.
Right jab was ok BUT my left straight is complete and utter shit. No power at all behind this punch and I am not sure that can be fixed. I always fought in orthodox even in Karate many years back so I never developed this punch at all. My right arm is better developed in motoric skill.

Movement was strange at first but thats a point I think can be adapted to.

What would you recommend? I cant decide. Will talk about it with my coach but it will also help me a lot to read your opinions because in the end I have to decide.

I train 2x / week with coach and 1/2 times without (not always boxing).

Last edited:
I've blown out both my shoulders due to athletics. Separated clavicle and a rotator cuff injury. Never had surgery. I can now throw both without issue.

Don't be afraid to switch your stance until you've rehabilitated. Now is as good an opportunity as any, as you're somewhat forced into it.

Transfer the load from your shoulder to your more powerful muscles. Compensate by generating your speed an power elsewhere (something you should be doing anyway). Your shoulder should merely function as a stabilizer, with the majority of the punches power and speed being derived from your legs, lats, chest, etc..

Also, learn to relax your shoulder more, and it will fatigue slower. Do not stay tense, but rather learn to allow it to rest/hang dead when possible. It's all about how you govern your electrical impulses. If you can think of movement on those terms, you may come out better than you were before.

Best of luck.

@BearGrounds

thx a lot. But there is no more rehabilitating. If I dont get surgery thats how my shoulder is able to function. Been years.

So you recommend I do train f.e. 1x/week in southpaw to be able to switch stances? I dont think my left straight will develop but I could relax the left like this. Thanks will test that out with your other hints.

@BearGrounds

thx a lot. But there is no more rehabilitating. If I dont get surgery thats how my shoulder is able to function. Been years.

So you recommend I do train f.e. 1x/week in southpaw to be able to switch stances? I dont think my left straight will develop but I could relax the left like this. Thanks will test that out with your other hints.

Pressure over time. You may surprise yourself with what you can come back from, just by making incremental improvements over an extended period of time.

Take this guy, for example.

I can't tell you whether or not surgery is a good decision though, as I'm simply not in a position to.

But that aside, yes, learn to be a switch stance fighter. This is something everyone should do, injury or not.

To finish this thread: I tried splitting training in both stances but am not advanced enough to make it work.

Will stay in orthodox and make the best of it. Maybe annother try in a few months when I do control orthodox better. Sparring starts next week and I am confident to find a fitting strategy.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Back