Need input from the Vets around here..

hey if you fly me out I'm there to get your back bro. Aint nothing going down unless I say it goes down! OK that might be abit of a stretch but Ill corner ya :wink:

Do you even know the environment you're fighting in, ring, backyard, wrestling mat? It does sound fishy especially since he's paying you before the fight and before collecting any money from spectators.

At least you have some health insurance to fall back on if you get injured. But also consider hte likelihood that it will be video taped by someone. What repurcussions this could have depends on where you live but you can assume little good will come of it.

Interesting thread, bro.
I wouldn't be too worried about infectious diseases and stuff since you kind of know your opponents.

I would be worried WAY more about the legal aspects. UNDERGROUND = we don't want any cops to know about it because if they did we'd all be in trouble. I don't mean to sound like a wuss, but the fact that an admission fee will be collected at the door opens up a huge can of worms. Think about it...MMA as a sporting event is not even allowed in most states by the states' athletic commissions. Medical expenses will undoubtedly be covered by your own personal health insurance. But legal expenses if the cops show up and see you pounding on some dude's face will add up fast. God forbid alcohol is involved let alone sold at the event...now you're asking for real trouble.

I'm no lawyer, but if the cops show up, YOU of all the people there will have the hardest time skidaddling out of there before cuffs start to get slapped on people.

If it were just a bunch of friends, or even casual training acquaintances, getting together to have their own Grand Prix tournament, and just bringing non-paying friends to watch and have a good time, in someone's backyard (i.e. their own private property), then it would probably be OK.

But if it just sounds too good to be true, then there must be something fishy (or at least very risky) about it.

I'd recommend NOT fighting just yet. Just go check it out quietly as a spectator, see what it's all about, then decide from there for the next event.

Thats a very good point DMcKayBJJ! I called the guy about 15 minutes ago and we are going to have dinner tonight and discuss it in depth so I know what the deal is. I like your idea about just seeing one of the shows first. Thanks.

Um. . .If anyone had, they would not say so on here. I can't stress the legal issues enough. Also, seems a bit odd if this offer is to fight in MD. Wheres the come back on his part (money?). It's one thing in the city (NY) where there is bets gambling etc. But I don't see how this "person you know", is willing to risk prison time and give you $1500, unless there is a big reward/risk factor. I wonder where the reward is financially. Either way, you should stay clean of that shit. That's old school and the sport has come to far now. if you want to fight, keep training and do it right. It's very easy to get fights.

Well I have gotten a good amount of PM's with info from people who have done this before with valuable information so this has helped alot. I'll have mor einfo tonight and probably ultimately make my decision after I have dinner with him.

Exactly why I love the Sherdog boards, bar none. We got love here like no others. I really appreciate all the offers to corner guys. Makes me feel warm and "Fozzy" inside, lol.

This one time these gangsters were after my friend, so I brought him over to my house, loaded my numerous guns and distributed them to all the people assembled. After that my friends thought I was a little nuts, but they know who has their back. Sometimes it pays to have friends from Texas.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Eww man, Fozzy was inside you?

I wouldn't do it either unless I knew what this thing was about. I suggest as other poeple said to check it out first. They might tell you one thing at dinner and at the event it will be a whole differant story. You never know, you can get jumped and shit, although most people would have your corner, so would I. But I doubt anyone here would actually show up because of where you live. And yea AIDS sucks ass

LoL. You get your cryogel yet?

Keep us updated, Phenom.

Well from what I gathered, even though I know the guy, it didn't sound like he had this planned too much. I mean his estimate on when it would be would be at the end of January. So I told him to let me know in the mid of January if he had ALL the details ironed out.

Well from what I gathered, even though I know the guy, it didn't sound like he had this planned too much. I mean his estimate on when it would be would be at the end of January. So I told him to let me know in the mid of January if he had ALL the details ironed out.
so are you just gonna leave us hanging? how did the fight go?

This is the largest necro I think I've ever seen... in any forum ever

Back