need more power while dirty boxing

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Guys, i need help. So here is how i'm executing my technique right now. One hand on the back of the head pulling down with forearm pressing into chest at a vertical position. Other hand available for punching. I will stand on the the balls of my feet and stand very upright and close so our chests will almost be touching.

Now I think my problem is I'm basically arm punching. Sure i could just start lifting, but is there any little intricacies within dirty boxing technique to be able to put my entire body into the strike without compromising my position?

{<goku}{<goku}{<goku}{<goku}

try starting low and squatting up with your uppercuts, also sounds like you aren't rotating shoulders. Don't know your experience levels but fundamentals of rotating and small steps with punches might help. Try to overdo your rotation when you shadowbox to get in in your muscle memory, your overall punch mechanics might be wack but again i dont know.

maybe even work off of my video over here. but i do think you just need a lot of reps to get the movements ingrained into muscle memory

Watch Roberto Duran.
You could shift your weight a little bit back then shift it back into the punch. Or twist downwards and come back up with an uppercut. Your head should be lower than his also for superior positioning.
Or simply out position him by pivoting around him.

try starting low and squatting up with your uppercuts, also sounds like you aren't rotating shoulders. Don't know your experience levels but fundamentals of rotating and small steps with punches might help. Try to overdo your rotation when you shadowbox to get in in your muscle memory, your overall punch mechanics might be wack but again i dont know.

maybe even work off of my video over here. but i do think you just need a lot of reps to get the movements ingrained into muscle memory

No i haven't been rotating my shoulders. My school doesn't really teach clinch fighting so i've been teaching myself during sparring. I feel like i have a grasp of how to control them but i know my strikes aren't doing much in the way of power. All advice helps thank you.

As I am a beginner I wont give any tips but besides Duran I really like to watch Hagler for infighting. One sneaky boxer with his head and body positioning.

If youre doing anything aside from boxing id suggest learning to knee or elbow in the clinch as well. From my experience they tend to be more effective and you get more power than from difty boxing shots

Watch Roberto Duran.
You could shift your weight a little bit back then shift it back into the punch. Or twist downwards and come back up with an uppercut. Your head should be lower than his also for superior positioning.
Or simply out position him by pivoting around him.

This is just solid life advice for anyone who punches people for fun and/or profit.

To a certain extent when you're dirty boxing you tradeoff between control and power. If you're standing really upright up against the cage controlling the head with your hips in tight, you're not going to have a lot of power on your punches because you won't be able to get your legs into it or rotate at the waist very much. If you get into a more Duran-ish position where you're low, controlling him with your head, shoulder, and forearm, and bumping him to create space to get shots off you're not going to have the same degree of control but you'll be able to generate a lot more power. Controlling a guy like that requires a lot more sensitivity but ultimately I think it's superior to a tight upright clinch because it does let you do damage while dynamically controlling your opponent. Of course if knees are involved that all changes, both because you can blast a guy with knees from an upright controlling clinch and knees make a low clinch a lot more risky.

A good Duran fight to watch for in-fighting specifically is the Palomino fight, though he uses it quite a bit in almost all his longer bouts.

Guys, i need help. So here is how i'm executing my technique right now. One hand on the back of the head pulling down with forearm pressing into chest at a vertical position. Other hand available for punching. I will stand on the the balls of my feet and stand very upright and close so our chests will almost be touching.

Now I think my problem is I'm basically arm punching. Sure i could just start lifting, but is there any little intricacies within dirty boxing technique to be able to put my entire body into the strike without compromising my position?

{<goku}{<goku}{<goku}{<goku}
Just bang harder

Personally I didn't like punching from a single collar tie grip, for me that was elbow range. As you discovered, it's not easy to get power on a punch from that position but with elbows you can still sneak them in with decent power. For dirty boxing I preferred trapping the opponent's power arm with an overhook (I wrestled in high school) then getting my head on his shoulder so that he can't hit it with any real power. From there, keep the hips back a bit for good balance & distance and bang the body with short hooks & uppercuts from your power hand.

And as others have said, Roberto Duran is your friend.

If youre doing anything aside from boxing id suggest learning to knee or elbow in the clinch as well. From my experience they tend to be more effective and you get more power than from difty boxing shots
Yes for sure. I do try to utilize knees as much as possible. I just wanna be able to do lots of punch and knee combos from the clinch.

Dirty boxing isn't so much about holding them there whilst you punch them. It is more about shifting/nudging/disrupting their body posture/balance so they are unable to absorb/deflect you punches. George Foreman was a master at this.

As your talking about holding the head and punching, I’m going to presume your talking about mma, it’s illegal in Boxing and there are more effective techniques in Muay Thai.
If your too close to your oppo you’re always going to stuff your punches, you need to make space and still have control. To make space you can either pivot , if I maintain a grip and pivot around my left foot I make space for my right hand, or bump him back. You need to be low and pushing in though. If your too high and top heavy you’ll be off balance as soon as he punches you.
If I was boxing I prefer to be low and have my shoulder in his chest pushing him back. If I’m left shoulder in, I have space between my right hand and the target. After I throw, I can bump him back with my left shoulder and throw again, or I can switch my feet, step to the outside with my right foot outside of his and have an outside angle on him. This would not work very long in MMA though as your oppo could control your head

Back