Need Some Travel Advice From The Sherdog Amateur Travel Agents

I'll also say that if you go to Miami the situation isn't much different. You should stay in Miami Beach/South Beach or anywhere along the ocean because a lot of Miami is a giant shit hole too.

New York is a great place because it'll have anything you want to do.. but if you go in the winter the weather might suck balls.

Agree with everything in your post but weather is not that bad in December anymore in NYC. Rarely get snow in December anymore.

I'll also say that if you go to Miami the situation isn't much different. You should stay in Miami Beach/South Beach or anywhere along the ocean because a lot of Miami is a giant shit hole too.

New York is a great place because it'll have anything you want to do.. but if you go in the winter the weather might suck balls.
Weather is the one thing I'm worried about. I know nothing about East Coast winters being a California boy born and raised. I don't own any coats just like a couple hoodies and maybe a bomber jacket lol

Agree with everything in your post but weather is not that bad in December anymore in NYC. Rarely get snow in December anymore.
glad im not the only one that has noticed this
i was going to post the same....going to NYC in December likely wont be this wintry blizzard you imagine....Generally, the past several winters in this area have been "mild"
it'll be cold, for sure, but likely not bone chilling cold like it dips down to in late january and february

definitely pick up a "bubble jacket" type thing with a shell and/or a wind breaker, hat and gloves

Thats sounds right. I guess I'm comparing it to Chicago where it can vary so wildly in December. One year it be in the 30s... The next year it could be the 50s.... It all depends on the week too. It could be 60 one day and drop to 30 and snow the next. I'm sure NYC benefits from the Atlantic tempering that sometimes.

I disagree, I don't think it's anything like New Orleans. Several places far away from the coast are still either very safe or upscale; Doral, Coral Gables, Kendall, Pinecrest, Miami Lakes, etc. If anything, the worst parts are Liberty City & Overtown, but the latter is actually very close to the beach.

@Arkridge if you do consider Miami, I have to recommend going to a Chicken Kitchen at one point for a quick bite to eat, imo it's one of Miami's best kept secrets.

Get yourself a Mexican Trop Chop, and then add add BBQ sauce and curry mustard (not mustard, curry mustard). I guarantee here and now that you won't regret it.

Even though you said you want to stay within the states I would still would consider going to another country maybe somewhere in Europe or Asia. Sometimes you can get really good international deals (especially parts of Asia from Cali) where prices would be similar to going from Cali to NYC. Or why not do something out of the ordinary and go to a certain part of Canada, timing it right and watch the Northern Lights.

I disagree, I don't think it's anything like New Orleans. Several places far away from the coast are still either very safe or upscale; Doral, Coral Gables, Kendall, Pinecrest, Miami Lakes, etc. If anything, the worst parts are Liberty City & Overtown, but the latter is actually very close to the beach.
I know the burbs of Miami are nice, I just know around the airport and a lot of the places on the way to the beach were sketchy as fuck.

@Arkridge if you do consider Miami, I have to recommend going to a Chicken Kitchen at one point for a quick bite to eat, imo it's one of Miami's best kept secrets.

Get yourself a Mexican Trop Chop, and then add add BBQ sauce and curry mustard (not mustard, curry mustard). I guarantee here and now that you won't regret it.
Noted my friend!

You're an asshole, but I have to admit I ended up enjoying this post. I considered moving to San Diego, but it was a bit too expensive. I settled on South Florida. Would love to visit San Diego someday...

I've been to and lived in each area spoken about. There's inexpensive suburbs in San Diego that are affordable outside the city proper without the eternal traffic of Los Angeles. Go visit for a long weekend. You might get hooked.

I decided to make it a bit shorter and only keep the important stuff in, for you busy sherbro's

images

San Diego? WTF????? Same as NYC but on a different coast. Last visit to San Diego was a work visit. Saw a shirtless, scrawny young white guy tripping balls while sitting on a flower planter. That was coming from the airport the first day. Passed a LOT of homeless people. On the next day my co-worker and I watched Police try to round up another white guy who was high as shit and running around screaming. Following day saw a woman strung out and walking around talking to herself. Pretty sure she had pissed herself. Next saw a dirty looking Hispanic pull a dine and dash out of the place we were eating lunch. Pretty sure he was homeless. Sprinkle in a ton more homeless people, people who are stuck up and lack manners, and a group of dirty people gathered on the street and possibly strung out on heroine and that's a week of actually traveling through the city. Great food though.

San Diego is overrated. Seattle is nicer, has food that is just as good, nicer people, and a lot less homeless people to trip over. Miami is nicer too and the heat is only a problem if you're an absolute pussy.

What? No Seattle is garbage. Don't visit there people, ever.

*cough*

Currently living here, please no more transplants

Lmao, I appreciate the passion but we live in California and have been to San Diego many, many times. So much so that it wouldn't really even count as a vacation anymore. We're looking for something new that neither of us have experienced before.

I figured actually when you listen no West Coast options but I gotta rep the town. I've seen every continental state of this country and California has the best cities no question.

have you considered other places?

like, I don't know, Charleston S.C.?

have you considered other places?

like, I don't know, Charleston S.C.?
Charleston isn't on my radar. Is there a reason why it should be? I don't know much about it. I'm always down for other suggestions not listed.

Charleston isn't on my radar. Is there a reason why it should be? I don't know much about it. I'm always down for other suggestions not listed.
if you like older architecture and a more rustic feel, it's pretty legit

Kinda like going to Philly, but w/o the rougher neighborhoods surrounding it

Didn't know you lived in Nola. Thought I was the only one.
I don’t , I used to live in Baton Rouge and my wife lived in New Orleans. We were just back there two weeks ago for a friends wedding.

We live in Houston now but go down a couple times a year.

I'm 24 I don't plan on being married at that age but thanks for the input bud.

Damn, son!

From 17 to 24 you’ve been with the same girl? That’s pretty amazing. Those are the peak years of manwhore glory for most young men.

If you were single I’d say Miami 1000%. But Is say New Orleans is better with a long time girlfriend. It’s a charming place, and you can do cool shit like take a riverboat tour.

NYC is a rat-infested dump. I definitely wouldn’t waste a trip there. A wildly overrated city, imo.

I like the Trip Advisor forums very good to get info from people who have been in those regions.

I don’t , I used to live in Baton Rouge and my wife lived in New Orleans. We were just back there two weeks ago for a friends wedding.

We live in Houston now but go down a couple times a year.

I used to live in BR for a short while. Houston's great. I go there a lot because it's a United Airlines hub.

glad im not the only one that has noticed this
i was going to post the same....going to NYC in December likely wont be this wintry blizzard you imagine....Generally, the past several winters in this area have been "mild"
it'll be cold, for sure, but likely not bone chilling cold like it dips down to in late january and february

I used to ride my bike in the park through the entire month of december. A lot of nice sunny days.

definitely pick up a "bubble jacket" type thing with a shell and/or a wind breaker, hat and gloves

george-goretex-coat_1024.jpg

Back