Need tips to get the takedown

James L

on a cloud among many others
@purple
Reaction score
What have you seen that works best to cover up a shot?

What have you done that works best to cover up your shots?

Got gifs or vids for people who don't?

Maybe a post note about how an entry/combo/transition/etc and the like is/are only high percentage for lower or higher weights?

For example, it's not news that a tried and true set up is: overhand to kneetap, which is a combo/transition itself that is set up usually by a jab or a feint and at other times anything else that may precede an overhand that is not thrown without a set up.

Or when you have an opponent against the cage, throw a knee to the body as a very painful distraction and then immediately dump them on the ground with usually an outside trip, or inside trip if you aren't a Ben Rothwell type who can bitch toss others with sheer strength and power.

Another is after working your way into the Muay Thai plum, whether your opponent is against the cage or not, throw some knees (and/or elbows), transition to the Dave Schultz front choke (as a reversal if you have to) and turn it into what I've only seen or heard called a mat return.

Many might say a standing or flying guillotine is usually a go-to when grappling from the plum, but I think this is a nice change of pace which keeps in mind the position before submission thought process.

Asking for myself and all of Sherdog. Any links from this site, such as with similar requests and responses will be much appreciated too. As would any outside links that are permitted by this forums rules.

Last edited:
Jab or hook to double leg
I step with the backhand to get the single

I’m a lighter weight class and find that straight up just shooting works better than trying to mask it with hands though. It’s too obvious if you aren’t actually trying to sell the punches

Double Jab and Knee Tap off the second jab Frankie Edgar style, this takedown but couldn't find a gif showing him jabbing and leaving the hand out like normal.

FinishedReadyErin.gif

Overhand Right to Clinch to this takedown

Or Fedor's Overhand Right as a lead, slipping left and hitting inside or outside trips off double unders or a body lock.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_009.gif

I've a lousy shot off a left lead so i used to throw low kicks with the rear leg, not retract it and look for snatch singles or knee taps off it using basically what's in the Edgar gif but can't find a gif or video showing it. Your foot needs to come down outside their lead leg off the kick then you're good to go for either option having switched stance and closed the gap to his leg. You flow straight in to the takedown as they recover their stance from checking the kick or receiving it without letting them reset.

Last edited:

If Fedor changes nothing about this takedown except for trapping his opponents lead arm, I feel even today he has the speed, power, and technique in order to chain this takedown immediately into an arm triangle choke. Maybe it sounds unrealistic at the elite levels of MMA, it is very much possible atleast with a skill-gap &/or surprise factor.

Also, I know what you mean about the Edgar gif, I would do that too but also use the same entry to get that takedown Zahabi was talking about and similar ones when using a legkick as a counter to a sloppy bumrush.

Jab or hook to double leg
I step with the backhand to get the single

I’m a lighter weight class and find that straight up just shooting works better than trying to mask it with hands though. It’s too obvious if you aren’t actually trying to sell the punches

Yes, sometimes people seem to only pepper or go "50%" if not outright putting in half-ass effort when attempting to set up a takedown, when the mistake happens in earnest it's almost as if they're too busy trying to keep from having their eyes betray them, that their limbs do instead.

If I'm shooting without setting it up myself, it's as a counter to an opponent who "set my shot up for me."

Last edited:
If Fedor changes nothing about this takedown except for trapping his opponents lead arm, I feel even today he has the speed, power, and technique in order to chain this takedown immediately into an arm triangle choke. Maybe it sounds unrealistic at the elite levels of MMA, it is very much possible at least with a skill-gap &/or surprise factor.
I think you're right, most fighters still don't use their grappling and striking together in a fluid way. Fedor was incredible at this earlier in his career but so few people seem to have adopted his approach. So many fighters are still either in 'striking mode' or 'takedown mode' at any given point and totally telegraph they're going to shoot. If you don't know whether you've to stop a takedown, kick, punch, avoid the clinch or you're just reacting to a feint how easy is it to defend well? Definitely much harder than against the guy relying on you walking forward swinging to level change in to a double or shooting from a mile away with no setup.

Even at amateur level everyone should be working on little sequences involving throwing a particular punch or kick to enter a certain takedown, feinting it then kicking or punching instead of the takedown, throwing a combination of the same initial strike and getting to the clinch from it. This is how you'll take down resisting opponents who are also allowed hit you; you need them reacting but guessing wrong because they don't have a clue which of the various threats is coming. It also gives you a chance to establish a pattern by doing one of those options a few times then completely catch the guy cold with something he's not expecting by breaking the pattern.

The days of 1-2, level change, double are long dead or they should be!

The days of 1-2, level change, double are long dead or they should be!

Yeah, and yet at the amateur level this is one of the most advanced techniques one hopes to see, lmao, even at the low level stages of regional circuits in MMA. Sometimes just a few or even no fighters will show jabs, straight punches, check hooks or cross counters! lol

Another real nice post by the way. I think nerves keeps most fighters from competing at the elite level in which they train and spar.

Speaking of sparring hard, that can make you fight dumb and deteriorate your chin/body just as much as tough fights can, like Weidman or any fighter from a backwards-ass barbaric gym. All it takes is one shot to knock a fighter out, but even if it doesn't it can ruin &/or stunt the fighters potential and refinement of their potential.

One fighter who strings it all together nice as we wish they did can run into the wrong type of opponent/sparring partner and that's it.

Go and try jab-cross into an over-under clinch and go for a knee tap like Covington/Yazdani. Just make sure you have a strong underhook drive.

Double Jab and Knee Tap off the second jab Frankie Edgar style, this takedown but couldn't find a gif showing him jabbing and leaving the hand out like normal.

FinishedReadyErin.gif

Overhand Right to Clinch to this takedown

Or Fedor's Overhand Right as a lead, slipping left and hitting inside or outside trips off double unders or a body lock.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_009.gif

I've a lousy shot off a left lead so i used to throw low kicks with the rear leg, not retract it and look for snatch singles or knee taps off it using basically what's in the Edgar gif but can't find a gif or video showing it. Your foot needs to come down outside their lead leg off the kick then you're good to go for either option having switched stance and closed the gap to his leg. You flow straight in to the takedown as they recover their stance from checking the kick or receiving it without letting them reset.

Overhand right into the takedown is a great one. Henderson pulled off a beautiful one in Pride against Oyama. I remember John Kopenhaver hit a beautiful one in his TUF fight with Tom Speer as well. Obviously it works much better if you land the right hand.

Back