Nevada commission approves lighter glove size for Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) approved Wednesday a “one-time” waiver to allow Mayweather and McGregor to wear lighter gloves than boxing rules dictate for their Aug. 26 fight in Las Vegas.

The motion passed unanimously to let the matchup be contested with 8-ounce gloves, rather than 10-ounce ones that the regulations state.

Who, exactly, is surprised by this?

When has the NSAC ever not caved-in when vast amounts of money was involved? They let Jermaine fight with half his brain hanging out, FFS.

Last edited:
so Mayweather agreed and actually pushed for smaller gloves?!
Why?

This makes it more interesting for sure

Can people fuck off with brand new Conor mcgregor threads when there's a forum and a sticky at the top of this forum. I don't need to hear what size the gloves will be 10 times.

With these smaller gloves, Mcgregor will definitely knock out Mayweather. The size and power will be too much

With these smaller gloves, Mcgregor will definitely knock out Mayweather. The size and power will be too much
Go on then, how's he going to set up a ko on one of the best defensive boxers of all time?

Go on then, how's he going to set up a ko on one of the best defensive boxers of all time?
Did you see those side step uppercuts he was doing during the media workout? that's how

Posted this morning IN THE STICKY THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE FUCKING FORUM WHERE IT GODDAMN BELONGS.

Did you see those side step uppercuts he was doing during the media workout? that's how
The uppercuts that are thrown from the waist with both hands down when nobody lands clean uppercuts on Floyd? I'm astonished anyone who watches combat sports thinks they would be effective against anything but a heavy bag.

I mean, it's a 12 round pro fight against a guy that's 0-0. Not surprising that they fulfilled Floyd's request for 8oz gloves.

Realistically, does the smaller gloves favor Mcgregor or Mayweather???

Bad precedents happening at the circus. A man with zero pro boxing of even ammy experience against a sure 1st ballot HOFer one day that is a top p4p fighter. And then, drop the glove sizes...

I dunno, the media keeps reporting fighter deaths (cause they keep happening) and other sports like football are under the gun for CTE.

Just seems like when it comes to our humanity or our wallets, we all know where our hands reach for.

I mean, I'll catch the fight on YouTube the next day, but there have been a lot of things said and done by a lot of people with vested interests that offer a revealing look into the more base and depraved side of our species.

Bad precedents happening at the circus. A man with zero pro boxing of even ammy experience against a sure 1st ballot HOFer one day that is a top p4p fighter. And then, drop the glove sizes...

I dunno, the media keeps reporting fighter deaths (cause they keep happening) and other sports like football are under the gun for CTE.

Just seems like when it comes to our humanity or our wallets, we all know where our hands reach for.

I mean, I'll catch the fight on YouTube the next day, but there have been a lot of things said and done by a lot of people with vested interests that offer a revealing look into the more base and depraved side of our species.
You could make the same moral argument for banning all contact sports. You sound like a frumpy old lady.

You could make the same moral argument for banning all contact sports. You sound like a frumpy old lady.
Not really, people wouldn't let someone with little or no training play in the NFL or in super rugby, or drive a NASCAR or f1 car etc.

Nevada heard the dollar amount and popped a massive boner.

lol yup, sounds about right, you aren't a hard man to read, are you?.

I said the media is dumping tons of heat on sports-related brain injuries. I love fighting sports, but precedents are being set that may not be great for the sport's future and image. It's about using guidelines to keep outsiders from losing their cool. Simple as that. Should I type BIGGER or SIMPLER next time?

Go home, read, and then reply next time. Don't text and drive, bro. You'll pay attention better.

It's a fair point. The privatization of the NSAC raises a lot of fairly big issues (not that these issues didn't still exist when it was an actual government organization, but privatization only exacerbates them). We've now seen without a shadow of a doubt that they will sanction essentially any kind of mismatch as long as the money is right. Is that morally questionable? Yes. Does it largely defeat the purpose of having ACs to begin with? To a point, but at the same time it's wholly expected under the circumstances. When it comes down to it, the reality of combat sports is that significant brain damage on a fairly widespread scale is unavoidable. It can be mitigated (proper oversight being a significant part of this) with better practices from a variety of parties, but only to a certain extent. So this is bad, but even in ideal circumstances, people are going to be permanently injured or worse in sports like boxing, MMA, football, etc.

I will say that it is interesting that very few have raised the point that McGregor could take a very severe beating here. People can have whatever idea they want about Floyd and his punching power in their heads, but if/when McGregor gasses and completely becomes a sitting duck, he could take a career-altering beating. The reaction to that would be interesting (and I don't mean to say I want to see that, because as much as I don't really care for McGregor, I don't).

lol yup, sounds about right, you aren't a hard man to read, are you?.

I said the media is dumping tons of heat on sports-related brain injuries. I love fighting sports, but precedents are being set that may not be great for the sport's future and image. It's about using guidelines to keep outsiders from losing their cool. Simple as that. Should I type BIGGER or SIMPLER next time?

Go home, read, and then reply next time. Don't text and drive, bro. You'll pay attention better.
Mma uses 4oz gloves and look how that's grown. Knockouts are part of the deal in combat sports.

Quit trying to cater to 'Outsiders' grandma
1200.jpg

Last edited:
Back