New BJJ Scout video: Miyao's Body-Lock Passing

It's been especially cool to see Paulo's evolutionHe wasn't a big no gi fan and Joao was usually the one interested in no gi training. Paulo has gotten an awesome no gi style in just a few years. I like how they blend the berimbolo style right into the heavy head low passing.

This is very similar to how Yuri Simoes passes. I think with the advent of the dangerous leg lockers that developing a low passing game for no-gi that kept your legs unavailable was probably inevitable, and a good development for the sport. I love this style, it's most of what I do as it works really well for MMA too where guys are trying to disengage and stand up.

This is very similar to how Yuri Simoes passes. I think with the advent of the dangerous leg lockers that developing a low passing game for no-gi that kept your legs unavailable was probably inevitable, and a good development for the sport. I love this style, it's most of what I do as it works really well for MMA too where guys are trying to disengage and stand up.
I think all of that's true. Craig Jones did say something I never thought of though. That low passing is harder to get under to tangle the legs up but if you do then you will probably have a very deep bite above the knee. And that standing passing is way easier to entangle the legs but you're more likely to be under the knee line when you do.

I still think that low passing is better than standing or kneeling passing against good leg lockers. Felipe Pena is about the best standing no gi passer and I studied his first match with Gordon Ryan a lot. He passed 5 times I think? One was off a rolling arm-in g-tine (Rafa style) and another was off a brabo choke attempt. The others were throw-by or leg drag/leg weave style passes. But even though Pena had great base and pressure he still got put into the 411 a handful of times. I think it's just the nature of passing no gi these days if you aren't incredibly low or heavily tripoding.

It also has the advantage of being very 'intuitive' and enterable from any number of different situations, be it in takedowns, scrambles, or reversals. My only real criticism of going for the flush bodylock every time is that it could open you up to frame -> slashing elbow combos from the bottom, like how Bisping tore up GSP in their title fight, forcing him to abandon his primary strategy and come up with a plan B (which, in true display of champion gumption, he did indeed make a way and find a way to win). Which is why i personally view the cradle-headlock-legweave combo attack as an ultimately 'safer' approach in this context.

It also has the advantage of being very 'intuitive' and enterable from any number of different situations, be it in takedowns, scrambles, or reversals. My only real criticism of going for the flush bodylock every time is that it could open you up to frame -> slashing elbow combos from the bottom, like how Bisping tore up GSP in their title fight, forcing him to abandon his primary strategy and come up with a plan B (which, in true display of champion gumption, he did indeed make a way and find a way to win). Which is why i personally view the cradle-headlock-legweave combo attack as an ultimately 'safer' approach in this context.

The key to not getting elbowed in MMA when body locking is using the rules. Since you can't strike to the back of the head, if you keep your head down and tucked against uke's hip it's hard for him to get an angle on you to throw a legal elbow. Generally speaking though I think the tripod + leg weave approach is probably superior for MMA, but it's in the same family in terms of passing approach.

Back