Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: February 1, 2017

It's Official: Denis Villeneuve to Direct New DUNE Movie from Legendary

Denis-Villeneuve-Dune-Remake-Dragonlord.jpg

Some excellent news for sci-fi fans: director Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario, Prisoners) is officially signed up to direct the upcoming Dune reboot. The news was confirmed this morning by Brian Herbert, son of Frank Herbert, who wrote the original 1965 Dune novel. The news was rumored last December, but not confirmed until this morning.

Legendary Pictures bought the TV and film rights to Dune from the Herbert estate last year, but details about either project are pretty thin. Dune’s last adaptation on film was in 1984, with a title directed by David Lynch and featuring Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides (MacLachlan would later go on to star in Lynch’s Twin Peaks).

The 1984 film was critically panned and lost money at the box office, but the source material has never lost its allure to fans. Having Villeneuve on board to direct the reboot certainly bodes well following the smash-hit that was Arrival. And there’ll be more from the French-Canadian director this year too — he’s behind the Blade Runner reboot starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, out this October.

It’s official: Arrival director Denis Villeneuve is making the upcoming Dune reboot

Indeed this is excellent news, but does Denis Villeneuve have experience with Sci Fi?

Will they try and find some pop star to play Faden like in the original?
Who played Faden in the TV miniseries?

Will they try and find some pop star to play Faden like in the original?
Who played Faden in the TV miniseries?
IMDb says it was some dude named Matt Keeslar, who has never really done anything of note.

*Penis swells*

I think I'd still have preferred a tv mini series though.

The mini-series Sci-fi did a few years ago was the best representation of the books as I thought we could hope for -- it wasn't half bad -- but a mini series still isn't large enough IMO.

a good HBO series for the poll

This is what I'm talking about. Something in the vein of ASOIAF saga is what is needed to fully flesh out Herbert's ideas, which was so much more than just a coming of age/revenge story that many seem to think it was, but sadly Sci-fi isn't as hot as Fantasy for some reason and no one will put money into properly developing a project like this.
Someone else mentioned that the series is cursed and I now think perhaps it is.

Update: April 5, 2017

Denis Villeneuve's DUNE Enlists Oscar-Winning Writer Eric Roth for Reboot

Eric-Roth-Dune-Dragonlord.jpg

Denis Villeneuve's Dune reboot has found a writer to bring Arrakis back to the big screen.

Eric Roth, who won the Oscar for his screenplay for Forrest Gump, will adapt Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel that follows Paul Atreides, whose family controls the desert planet Arrakis, the only producer of a highly valuable resource, spice melange. When Paul and his family are betrayed, he leads a rebellion to regain control of his home world.

Legendary picked up the film and television rights to Herbert's classic in late 2016.

Science fiction novelist Kevin J. Anderson, who is responsible for Star Wars and X-Files spinoff novels, among other works, will serve as a creative consultant.

Roth, whose other credits include The Insider and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, also penned the screenplay for Bradley Cooper's upcoming A Star Is Born remake for Warner Bros.

Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune' Enlists Oscar-Winning Writer Eric Roth for Reboot

Sounds interesting.. I'm curious about it but it seems we have a long way to go before we even see a trailer.

It's been forever since I saw the original Dune... but I loved Sting in it... & it would be off the hook if they brought him back for a leading roll in the remake.

FTW

Would actually have to re-watch it to even remember the story... but I recall in the back of my mind it waz decent.

Last edited:
I don't care what format as long as Villeneuve consults Alan Smithee about the best way to film it.

I loved the Miniseries, one of my favorites as a kid.

The movie was... not as good.

I think it serves better as a series, just from personal experience.

It's been forever since I saw the original Dune... but I loved Sting in it... & it would be off the hook if they brought him back for a leading roll in the remake.

FTW

Would actually have to re-watch it to even remember the story... but I recall in the back of my mind it waz decent. Everyone in the universe seeking salt... (the spice) which is something we take for granted. Lots of potential there. :cool:
? Spice is not salt. Spice is a mind altering agent that lets certain people predict the future. Navigators use it to fold space-time and the main character uses it to shape history.

Dune would work way better as a TV mini-series or HBO show. I would love to see it get the Game of Thrones treatment. I have read all the Frank Herbert written Dune books and I enjoyed them all, although some are clearly weaker than others. Frank Herbert was a genius and I equate him with Shakespeare in his breadth of knowledge of the human experience and human nature. He was a journalist for many years and a well educated and informed person. Always happy to hear when his work gets revived in any form. The sleeper has awakened!

Dune would work way better as a TV mini-series or HBO show. I would love to see it get the Game of Thrones treatment. I have read all the Frank Herbert written Dune books and I enjoyed them all, although some are clearly weaker than others. Frank Herbert was a genius and I equate him with Shakespeare in his breadth of knowledge of the human experience and human nature. He was a journalist for many years and a well educated and informed person. Always happy to hear when his work gets revived in any form. The sleeper has awakened!

this

? Spice is not salt. Spice is a mind altering agent that lets certain people predict the future. Navigators use it to fold space-time and the main character uses it to shape history.
It's been a long time since I saw it. Wow... I don't even remember the mind altering stuff. Good looking out... I'm certainly due for another watch.

It's been a long time since I saw it. Wow... I don't even remember the mind altering stuff. Good looking out... I'm certainly due for another watch.
Go with the miniseries, rather than the film, if you want something closer to the source material. The film has the superior production values but it takes some odd liberties with the story.

Woot

Lynch's movie is pretty silly, but I enjoy it in cult-film sort of way. The mini series was so boring to me that just kept falling asleep...rather re-read the book than try to watch it, but the movie is a poor representation of the source material. I'll try to judge this movie on it's own merits, and not if it's as identical to the book as possible. Too bad we never got to see Jodorowski "rape" Herbert with "love".

Back