Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
BTFO Star Wars fans

ADULTS ONLY

6vnag6W.jpg

I am afraid for Dune if Bladerunner stuggled at the box office. A series might be better suited for the material than a movie. Denis is the guy. He is an awesome director that somehow hasn't been able to translate that into box office success.

I watched Bladerunner 2049 again on blue ray and it is a god damn shame this movie struggled. It is in my a fucking opinion masterpeice. Better in my opinion than the original, which was slower and a little clunky.

This is guy guy for Dune. He did an awesome job creating the world for Bladerunner 2049. I can't think of anyone better for a futuristic sci-fi. The only other person that I think could do the series justice wold be Peter Jackson just due to with what he did with the Lord of the Rings.

Anyone who thinks Jodorowsky's Dune would be great doesn't really know Jodorowsky. No one should give a pile of money Jodorowsky for anything. All movies are created with compromises. You can't have someone create something without compromising for budgetary reasons. Stuff that he has made that was good was low budget, which forced him to compromise. There are artist that produce great work and then there are artist that know there job is to create something that generates profit. The former is an indie movie director. The latter is the type that you can give big budget movies to. Jodorowsky's Dune would have been a complete failure in every way. Lynch's Dune was still decent even though he got no final say on anything. It would be better to give Lynch full reigns at making another Dune than give Jodorowsky a green light.

Last edited:
I am afraid for Dune if Bladerunner stuggled at the box office. A series might be better suited for the material than a movie. Denis is the guy. He is an awesome director that somehow hasn't been able to translate that into box office success.

I watched Bladerunner 2049 again on blue ray and it is a god damn shame this movie struggled. It is in my a fucking masterpeice. Better in my opinion than the original, which was slower and a little clunky.

This is guy guy for Dune. He did an awesome job creating the world for Bladerunner 2049. I can't think of anyone better for a futuristic sci-fi. The only other person that I think could do the series justice wold be Peter Jackson just due to with what he did with the Lord of the Rings.

Anyone who thinks Jodorowsky's Dune would be great doesn't really know Jodorowsky. No one should give a pile of Jodorowsky for anything. All movies are created with compromises. You can't have someone create something without compromising for budgetary reasons. Stuff that he has made that was good was low budget, which forced him to compromise.

I think you are mostly right but I disagree that Dennis is the problem

Science fiction movies just haven't really been doing great right now. Mostly everything besides Star Wars is flopping. Blade Runner is just the most recent example of that

But I have had conversations with @shadow_priest_x about how it seems like science ficition is pretty much a dead genre in the eyes of the general public.

I have even had conversations with Dragonlord about Ready Player One and we all think that is going to bomb as well.

So you know it is what it is. Dune has a 95% chance to flop no matter what. Could be the best movie of the year and still flop.

But at least we still get 1 good movie out of it

Science fiction movies just haven't really been doing great right now. Mostly everything besides Star Wars is flopping. Blade Runner is just the most recent example of that

But I have had conversations with @shadow_priest_x about how it seems like science ficition is pretty much a dead genre in the eyes of the general public.

I have even had conversations with Dragonlord about Ready Player One and we all think that is going to bomb as well.

So you know it is what it is. Dune has a 95% chance to flop no matter what. Could be the best movie of the year and still flop.

Yep I haven't read the book and the trailers do nothing for me.

I would argue that Ready Player One will be a box office success. I think it punches through the checklist. Pixels was a success that I think Ready Player One will be. Do I think Ready Player One will be profitable movie? Yes. Do I think it will be a good movie? No. It is nothing about it being a good or bad movie. It is a marketable movie.

I agree sci-fi is a dead genre. If you look at best movies of the year for the past 50 years, movies have been getting dumber and dumber and more aimed at kids. Good sci-fi is thought provoking and it sound elitist to say this but I don't think the general public cares to be provoked.

I've been thinking about this actually, and I think it's hit and miss.

Just looking at the past couple of years, Blade Runner flopped, but Arrival was a financial success. Alien: Covenant performed below expectations but Star Wars is the highest-grossing film of the 2017. Valerian only made $40 million in the US but 10 Cloverfield Lane was surprisingly profitable.

I guess a lot of it has to do with your budget when you're starting out. Blade Runner is considered a flop even though it made $260 million because it cost $150 million to make. Whereas Arrival is a success at $200 million because it was only budget at about $60 million, if I remember correctly. 10 Cloverfield Lane was considered a big success at just $100 million, but hey, it only cost $5 million to make.

It seems that, unless you're a Star Wars film, the key to making money in sci-fi is to keep the budgets relatively modest.

hmm not a fan of dune but dennis being involved peaks my interest considerably

I would argue that Ready Player One will be a box office success. I think it punches through the checklist. Pixels was a success that I think Ready Player One will be. Do I think Ready Player One will be profitable movie? Yes. Do I think it will be a good movie? No. It is nothing about it being a good or bad movie. It is a marketable movie.

I agree sci-fi is a dead genre. If you look at best movies of the year for the past 50 years, movies have been getting dumber and dumber and more aimed at kids. Good sci-fi is thought provoking and it sound elitist to say this but I don't think the general public cares to be provoked.
Player One and Alita will most likely bomb since it looks very CGI and video gamish. Look at the results for Tron Legacy

I watched Bladerunner 2049 again on blue ray and it is a god damn shame this movie struggled. It is in my a fucking opinion masterpeice. Better in my opinion than the original, which was slower and a little clunky.

Anyone who thinks Jodorowsky's Dune would be great doesn't really know Jodorowsky. No one should give a pile of money Jodorowsky for anything. All movies are created with compromises. You can't have someone create something without compromising for budgetary reasons. Stuff that he has made that was good was low budget, which forced him to compromise. There are artist that produce great work and then there are artist that know there job is to create something that generates profit. The former is an indie movie director. The latter is the type that you can give big budget movies to. Jodorowsky's Dune would have been a complete failure in every way. Lynch's Dune was still decent even though he got no final say on anything. It would be better to give Lynch full reigns at making another Dune than give Jodorowsky a green light.
I'm with you. Jodorowsky's Dune made a better movie about a movie than it would have made a movie. That guy is nuts in a good way, but he's still nuts.

At this point Denis Villeneuve can do no wrong to me, but I kind of feel like Dune is un-movie-able and don't want him to die on this hill.

Player One and Alita will most likely bomb since it looks very CGI and video gamish. Look at the results for Tron Legacy

I don't think it is the same. I will go with the fact that Pixels did alright. The problem with Tron is that most people under 30 don't think much of it. It was not a hit even when it was released. It has this iconic following similar to Bladerunner, which also didn't do well. Honestly, the original Tron to me is more of an experience than a cinematic story. The story really isn't anything special. It mostly is just a movie tied around special effects, which no one gives a shit about nowdays because it looks dated.

The reason Player One will do well in my opinion is because it pushes the right buttons. It throws a bunch of shit onto the screen and people will think "hey that is freddy krueger and he got run into by the delorean". It is stupid button pushing just like how Rogue One ,which I liked, went out of its way to include every single piece of nostalgia.

I don’t care if it’s movies or a show. A premium channel show would be cool.

Either way if Denis is involved so am I. This guy is one of the best directors in history. Absolutely phenomenal, brilliant dude.

Never a fan of movie becoming a TV series, something about it never seems right.

I've been thinking about this actually, and I think it's hit and miss.

Just looking at the past couple of years, Blade Runner flopped, but Arrival was a financial success. Alien: Covenant performed below expectations but Star Wars is the highest-grossing film of the 2017. Valerian only made $40 million in the US but 10 Cloverfield Lane was surprisingly profitable.

I guess a lot of it has to do with your budget when you're starting out. Blade Runner is considered a flop even though it made $260 million because it cost $150 million to make. Whereas Arrival is a success at $200 million because it was only budget at about $60 million, if I remember correctly. 10 Cloverfield Lane was considered a big success at just $100 million, but hey, it only cost $5 million to make.

It seems that, unless you're a Star Wars film, the key to making money in sci-fi is to keep the budgets relatively modest.

That's disappointing. I'm a huge sci-fi nerd & I definitely wanna see interesting, thought-provoking & adventurous sci-fi films succeed. I don't hate superhero films but I'd much rather have good sci-fi flicks over another typical superhero movie.

Have you noticed that many classic action films have sci-fi elements involved in them? (Predator, Aliens, Terminator, Matrix, etc.) Why do you think we don't really see those types of flicks anymore & do you think more films that combine action & sci-fi tropes should be made? I've considered making a thread about that question but I've not made the time to do so.

Never a fan of movie becoming a TV series, something about it never seems right.
Dune is a book. One of the most important science fiction novels ever written.

Have you noticed that many classic action films have sci-fi elements involved in them? (Predator, Aliens, Terminator, Matrix, etc.) Why do you think we don't really see those types of flicks anymore & do you think more films that combine action & sci-fi tropes should be made? I've considered making a thread about that question but I've not made the time to do so.

Oh, I definitely think we still see a lot of this. Even today I feel like action and sci-fi are two of the most smashed together genres.

I mean, not only are we still getting stuff from classic franchises like Alien: Covenant and Terminator: Genisys, but there's also stuff like Ghost in the Shell, the Pacific Rim movies, and the Resident Evil franchise. The films may not all have the same flavor as something like Predator, but they are still sci-fi actioners.

Netflix actually seems to be heavily focused on that area. Here are couple of movies they recently released. I haven't seen Spectral but What Happened to Monday is excellent.

They also have this show coming up:

I actually just ordered Dune and Dune messiah on Amazon. Keep hearing about it, so I'm gonna read it.

Back