Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I actually just ordered Dune and Dune messiah on Amazon. Keep hearing about it, so I'm gonna read it.
Dune Messiah is really more of an interlude between Dune and Children of Dune than a full-blown story of its own, and the three together form a trilogy of sorts. The next book in the series, God Emperor, (which I personally hated) involves a large time-skip and the starting of a new phase in the story.

I think what I like the most about that first book is the amount of world-building it manages to do. And it's mostly done in a very organic way. It's not a fast read by any means, but I don't find it to be as pointlessly dense as something like LotR.

Oh, I definitely think we still see a lot of this. Even today I feel like action and sci-fi are two of the most smashed together genres.

I mean, not only are we still getting stuff from classic franchises like Alien: Covenant and Terminator: Genisys, but there's also stuff like Ghost in the Shell, the Pacific Rim movies, and the Resident Evil franchise. The films may not all have the same flavor as something like Predator, but they are still sci-fi actioners.

Netflix actually seems to be heavily focused on that area. Here are couple of movies they recently released. I haven't seen Spectral but What Happened to Monday is excellent.

They also have this show coming up:

There is also a new show on Amazon like looks kinda like Black Mirror

I haven't seen it so I dont know if its good or not but its the same type of Scifi as the other shows you mentioned

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/philip_k_dick_s_electric_dreams/s01/

I've been thinking about this actually, and I think it's hit and miss.

Just looking at the past couple of years, Blade Runner flopped, but Arrival was a financial success. Alien: Covenant performed below expectations but Star Wars is the highest-grossing film of the 2017. Valerian only made $40 million in the US but 10 Cloverfield Lane was surprisingly profitable.

I guess a lot of it has to do with your budget when you're starting out. Blade Runner is considered a flop even though it made $260 million because it cost $150 million to make. Whereas Arrival is a success at $200 million because it was only budget at about $60 million, if I remember correctly. 10 Cloverfield Lane was considered a big success at just $100 million, but hey, it only cost $5 million to make.

It seems that, unless you're a Star Wars film, the key to making money in sci-fi is to keep the budgets relatively modest.

I know I shit on TLJ, but I’m a very big fan of the original trilogy. That’s why I feel comfortable saying as a fan and not a hater that I don’t consider Star Wars to be sci-fi. Its themes are simpler than a lot of science fiction and it involves magic. I’ve always considered it to be more high fantasy in space than science fiction. Compared to 2001, Dune, Bladerunner or Star Trek it’s pretty much just an adventurous romp.

I know I shit on TLJ, but I’m a very big fan of the original trilogy. That’s why I feel comfortable saying as a fan and not a hater that I don’t consider Star Wars to be sci-fi. Its themes are simpler than a lot of science fiction and it involves magic. I’ve always considered it to be more high fantasy in space than science fiction. Compared to 2001, Dune, Bladerunner or Star Trek it’s pretty much just an adventurous romp.

I've heard people say this.

But as you probably know, sci-fi often gets broken down into hard sci-fi and soft sci-fi. Star Wars seems to pretty clearly be soft sci-fi to me, though it obviously also has fantasy elements.

Dune Messiah is really more of an interlude between Dune and Children of Dune than a full-blown story of its own, and the three together form a trilogy of sorts. The next book in the series, God Emperor, (which I personally hated) involves a large time-skip and the starting of a new phase in the story.

I think what I like the most about that first book is the amount of world-building it manages to do. And it's mostly done in a very organic way. It's not a fast read by any means, but I don't find it to be as pointlessly dense as something like LotR.
I know there are dozens of books, but from my spoiler free research I did, most people were saying that you need to read the first 2 books and that should be enough unless you liked it a lot and want more.

I know there are dozens of books, but from my spoiler free research I did, most people were saying that you need to read the first 2 books and that should be enough unless you liked it a lot and want more.
Children of Dune is a much more direct continuation than many of the other novels in the series. IMO if you like Dune than you should read both Messiah and Children. The first third of Children is a mixed-bag but by the half-way point it really picks up. Beyond that point the series becomes very much "YMMV" and I would never actively suggest any of them.

Last edited:
What did you not like about it?

Maybe it was the wrong time for me, but I didn't like the writing style at all and the story wasn't that interesting. It felt like it was written for teens.

Oh, I definitely think we still see a lot of this. Even today I feel like action and sci-fi are two of the most smashed together genres.

I mean, not only are we still getting stuff from classic franchises like Alien: Covenant and Terminator: Genisys, but there's also stuff like Ghost in the Shell, the Pacific Rim movies, and the Resident Evil franchise. The films may not all have the same flavor as something like Predator, but they are still sci-fi actioners.

Netflix actually seems to be heavily focused on that area. Here are couple of movies they recently released. I haven't seen Spectral but What Happened to Monday is excellent.

They also have this show coming up:

For sure. I feel like action & sci-fi are two very complementary genres that (assuming the story is solid) makes for great films & tv series. I've heard some people have said that the old-school 80s & 90s action flicks died out because they're not believable or whatever, but if you add a sci-fi element to action films then you can take "realism" off the table & have larger than life, one-man army type of characters & let your imagination run wild & tell thought-provoking, action-packed stories.

I actually just recently saw What Happened to Monday & it was excellent. Altered Carbon is pretty solid as well.

(Very late reply but I just don't post very often on this message board)

Im hopeful for this!

Its been build as star wars for grown ups.

Update: July 16, 2018

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME's Timothee Chalamet in Talks to Star in DUNE

ZsAFjyq.jpg

Timothee Chalamet, who was nominated for an Oscar for his breakout performance in Call Me by Your Name, is in negotiations to star in Dune, Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Villeneuve, the filmmaker behind Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival, is producing the feature adaptation along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

The novel, initially published in the 1960s, tackles political, religious and environmental themes through a sci-fi lens, telling the complex story of a fallen noble family’s attempt to control a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, while being betrayed by a galactic emperor.

Paul Atreides is the lead character, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its nomadic tribes. Using enhanced mental abilities, he eventually rises to become their ruler, the nomads believing he is their messiah, and leads an army to overthrow the empire.

The book, which launched a novel series that lasted beyond Herbert’s death, was first adapted into a 1984 bomb directed by David Lynch with Kyle MacLachlan as the lead. Legendary is eyeing an early 2019 start of production.

'Call Me By Your Name' Actor Timothee Chalamet in Talks to Star in Denis Villeneuve's 'Dune'

Update: September 5, 2018

Mission: Impossible Star Rebecca Ferguson in Talks to Join Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

unRq8fg.jpg

Mission: Impossible headliner Rebecca Ferguson is in negotiations to star opposite Timothee Chalamet in Dune, Legendary’s adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

The company is eyeing an early 2019 production start for the ambitious project, which Villeneuve is producing along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

Dune, initially published in the 1960s, tackles political, religious and environmental themes through a sci-fi lens, telling the complex story of a fallen noble family’s attempt to control of a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, while being betrayed by a galactic emperor.

Chalamet is playing Paul Atreides, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its nomadic tribes. Using enhanced mental abilities, he eventually rises to become their ruler, with the nomads believing he is their messiah, and leads an army to overthrow the empire.

Ferguson will play Atreides’ mother, Lady Jessica, who escapes with him into the desert and helps him become a savior in their eyes.

Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts wrote the script. Thomas Tull is executive producing along with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Author Kevin J. Anderson is serving as a creative consultant.

The novel, which launched a book series that lasted beyond Herbert’s death, was first adapted into a 1984 film directed by David Lynch with Kyle MacLachlan as the lead and which bombed at the box office.

Ferguson broke out to American audiences with Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation, playing operative Isla Faust, who goes tit-for-tat with Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt. It is a role that is reprised in this summer’s Fallout, one of the best reviewed movies of the year and a box-office hit, generating almost $670 million worldwide to date.

The actress is also part of the ensemble of the new Men In Black movie and is set to shoot the Stephen King adaptation Doctor Sleep later this year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...son-talks-star-denis-villeneuves-dune-1140223

I chose movies only because I love Villeneuves' films. I'm still skeptical because I didn't like the original one, but I'm also not the biggest fan of Lynch, and his stuff goes over my head like dead scalp flakes flying off my head and into the wind.

Update: February 2, 2019

Javier Bardem, Zendaya and Oscar Isaac in Talks to Join Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

vfogudi.jpg

Javier Bardem is the latest A-list name booking a passage to the desert planet Arrakis. The actor is in negotiations to join the high-wattage cast of Dune, Legendary's adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel being directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgard and Charlotte Rampling are set for life and death political intrigue on Arrakis, with Zendaya and Oscar Isaac in talks to also join the lineup.

Dune, considered a sci-fi literary classic, tells the complex story of a fallen noble family's attempt to control a desert planet named Arrakis and its export, a rare spice drug, even as it is betrayed by a galactic emperor.

If a deal makes, Bardem will play Stilgar, the leader of planet's nomadic tribes known as Fremen, opposite Chalamet's Paul Atreides, the son of the ruler of the family, who is forced to escape into the desert wastelands and partner with its tribes.

Dune is eyeing shoots in Budapest and Jordan starting this spring. The film's script was written by Villeneuve, Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts. Villeneuve is also producing, along with Mary Parent and Cale Boyter.

Bardem, who won an Oscar for his performance in No Country for Old Men, counts Darren Aronosky’s Mother!And Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales amongst his recent credits.

Zendaya is one of Hollywood's most in-demand young stars. She next will be seen in the Spider-Man sequel Far From Home, and will lead HBO's upcoming teen drama series Euphoria.

Isaac has become a sci-fi film staple, with roles in projects such as Ex Machina and Annihilation. He is coming off a surprise voice cameo in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, which is up for a best animated film Oscar, and will appear in March's Triple Frontieropposite Ben Affleck, as well as in December's Star Wars: Episode IX, reprising his role as hotshot pilot Poe Dameron.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...dem-talks-join-timothee-chalamet-dune-1181942

Back