New Greta Van Fleet Album

TeTe

🤡🌎
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
In case you haven't listened to it today yet.

Ive already ripped these songs onto my phone. Lover, Leave is my fav on this album.

I don’t know.

Kids copying Led Zeppelin isn’t my cup of tea I‘m afraid.

How is the album compared to the songs they had out prior to the album? A few of my former band mates are really into this band all the sudden. I think what I’ve heard is ok, they’ve got some talent. But I’m not huge into them.

They should do an LZ cover song btw, why not at this point?

Btw.. if you dig the retro type stuff (I do personally) ‘Rival Sons’ is a much better band imo than GvF..

..bit of a Jack White thing going on with them too, imo. Which is a good thing. To me, Jack White is the Quentin Tarantino of music. If that makes sense.

@TeTe

I don’t know.

Kids copying Led Zeppelin isn’t my cup of tea I‘m afraid.
People say LZ because of the singer... But I hear a lot of different influences including Rush and Stones.

People say LZ because of the singer... But I hear a lot of different influences including Rush and Stones.

Definitely Rush, I agree with you. Was arguing with some of my buddies about this at a party just a few weeks ago in fact lol.

Definitely Rush, I agree with you. Was arguing with some of my buddies about this at a party just a few weeks ago in fact lol.
Honestly I don't really care who they resemble as long as they sound good. Most rip off other bands... Including Led Zeppelin with the blues.

It's certainly better than most of this new trash anyway. Arctic monkeys, QOTSA, Strokes are about the only "newer" bands I like... Well and Jack White/raconteurs/white stripes

Point taken. Haven’t really been listening much to this kinda music since Motorpsycho‘s The Tower.

I liked much of it - some of it I hit "skip" on after the first minute.

giphy.gif
sounds good, man.

Btw.. if you dig the retro type stuff (I do personally) ‘Rival Sons’ is a much better band imo than GvF..

..bit of a Jack White thing going on with them too, imo. Which is a good thing. To me, Jack White is the Quentin Tarantino of music. If that makes sense.

@TeTe

White is a perfect example of someone channelling past influences without sounding like a shitty pastiche.

Honestly the more I listen to these lads the more I dislike them.

White is a perfect example of someone channelling past influences without sounding like a shitty pastiche.

Honestly the more I listen to these lads the more I dislike them.

Yeah, White is great. I never got into the White Stripes, but when I started hearing his solo stuff and side projects I became a fan. He does great work in my opinion.

As for GVF, I can’t hate on it. They’re all kids (brothers except for one of them I believe), and I dig the retro rock movement. I do wish we’d get more originality from some of this stuff, but it’s nice to see people writing halfway decent stuff and keeping it alive.

I personally don’t think we’ll be hearing about them 5 years from now because they broke thru and started a movement tho. I don’t think their music has that ‘hook’ in it. That’s why I posted the ‘Rival Sons’ -that’s what good hooks sound like. And right now, Greta Von Fleet is missing that imo, -they’re a novelty at this point- their actual music is very forgettable. Just my take.

Yeah, White is great. I never got into the White Stripes, but when I started hearing his solo stuff and side projects I became a fan. He does great work in my opinion.

As for GVF, I can’t hate on it. They’re all kids (brothers except for one of them I believe), and I dig the retro rock movement. I do wish we’d get more originality from some of this stuff, but it’s nice to see people writing halfway decent stuff and keeping it alive.

I personally don’t think we’ll be hearing about them 5 years from now because they broke thru and started a movement tho. I don’t think their music has that ‘hook’ in it. That’s why I posted the ‘Rival Sons’ -that’s what good hooks sound like. And right now, Greta Von Fleet is missing that imo, their actual music is very forgettable. Just my take.

That's it basically, GVF are just lacking something, lacking it in their music. It's ok at best, but well...I agree with pitchfork for once:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

There are just so many better modern rock bands, so, to be blunt, who cares about some kids playing dress up as led zep?

They are basically like The Strypes that emerged a couple of years back, only instead of aping 60s rock like The Bluesbreakers etc. they are aping led zep. Both are just utterly forgettable -

And ok they are kids, but so what? Doesn't mean people have to like them in my opinion. Greta Van Fleet are some good looking kids playing decent rock music/zep imitations so they get some push from the labels, but they are no better than these guys that I have seen at my local pub:

It is just truly bleh imo

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone would bother listening to them when Led Zeppelin exist. It's like choosing to eat shit instead of steak.

I don't understand why anyone would bother listening to them when Led Zeppelin exist. It's like choosing to eat shit instead of steak.

Pretty much, they bring nothing new at all, so why not listen to the original? In fact I just finished spinning The Song Remains The Same.

Save your energy for new music that actually brings something interesting.

@TeTe

Do you listen to Dean Delray's "Let There Be Talk" podcast? He is a comedian/rocker and he's been a champion for both of these bands for years. That's how I found out about them.

Back