New Karate league with Yamma style pit

andyjeezy

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This just came up on my YouTube feed it's called Karate Combat. Bas Rutten is doing the commentary and they fight in a Yamma style pit. I don't really know the rules but essentially it looks like Kickboxing with takedowns and 5 second ground n pound rule on the ground. I do recognize one fighter in the videos Josh Quayhagen, a former Bellator fighter that beat Cosmo Alexander under MMA rules. The production of the fights are great and if they can get some legit Karate guys like Chinzo Machida, Raymond Daniels, Giga Chikadze and Kevin Vannorstrand this promotion could be real fun. Check it out.

It's fugazi. Bas was talking about it on Rogans podcast... hooks are illegal. Hooks.

I did not see any rule set on the website. No hooks wtf.

Hey. I'm a fan. I used to be a Karateka.
Now, I only really watch KyoKushin.

This is good. Allowing take-downs and quick GnP. That is very much what was shown in Karate, after the take-down "finish the fight". So, this is the opportunity to show if it can be executed in full contact.

they also only allow "lower leg kicks" meaning you can't kick the thigh and only your opponents calf/shin.

Are you sure Bas didn't mean "fish hooks"-sticking your finger in the guys mouth by his cheek and yanking it? I mean, there were plenty of hook punches thrown in that clip.

Are you sure Bas didn't mean "fish hooks"-sticking your finger in the guys mouth by his cheek and yanking it? I mean, there were plenty of hook punches thrown in that clip.
Correction, it was inside hooks specifically. Long hooks were okay but you can't get in the inside and throw hooks.

The rules are silly but the ring has nice optics. I like the novelty of stuff like this.

Hey. I'm a fan. I used to be a Karateka.
Now, I only really watch KyoKushin.

This is good. Allowing take-downs and quick GnP. That is very much what was shown in Karate, after the take-down "finish the fight". So, this is the opportunity to show if it can be executed in full contact.

Totally agree bro! Great insight

theres already been a thread and quite a bit of discussion about it the stand up section.

Bas is cool. Rules are lame. So are the "action movie" camera effects of the entire thing. I predict it doing possibly worse than the WCL. The only thing it has going for it is Bas Rutten made it.

theres already been a thread and quite a bit of discussion about it the stand up section.

Bas is cool. Rules are lame. So are the "action movie" camera effects of the entire thing. I predict it doing possibly worse than the WCL. The only thing it has going for it is Bas Rutten made it.
I liked the WCL.

Nope, he didn't make it. He just got hired by then and hasn't even met the owners yet. So it's got nothing going for it LOL...

<45>

oh, i think in the standup forum the guy who posted it said Bas had made it, since Bas did kyo it made enough sense but man, it really has nothing for it other than karate fans wishfull thinking or hope that it catches on.

I liked the WCL.

yeah nothing wrong with the WCL, i wish it was still around. At least the WCL didnt turn their fights into action movie scenes.

Basically these fights are so boring, they need to make them look more exciting than they are, hence the sound effects and shaky cam.

Back