New law bans California employers from asking applicants about prior salary

I don't like the practice, but a law?

How about people just say no and go with principle. If enough do it, then it's over.

Rule of thumb.

ALWAYS ask for more then you made at your former job.

And never disclose what you actually made at your former job.

I once applied for a job got called for an interview. Fucking treked it to interview (2 trains 1km walk) walk in wait while they go over my not unimpressive cv again. First thing he says is you do know we are offering 38k for this position?

I started repacking up my shit and tell them i did ask and was told that would be discussed in the interview.

Fucking time wasting cunts.

1 month later took a similar job for double.

Been asked that heaps of times.

I deflect by saying what I expect.

I was on the flip side of that:

I had an interview with an organization. It would have been a cut in my pay. The HR director was baffled as to why I was applying for the job:

HR: "You are currently making much more money at your current job. Why do you want to work here?"

Me: "My kid is no longer in pre-school, so a major expense of ours is gone. We have found good tenants for a house we own, so we have some income coming in. Plus, I want a job that closely matches my kid's schedule so I don't have to pay much for after school day care or for baby sitters. Oh, and my wife just got a raise."

HR: "Suspicious eye; Here is our pay scale. Are you sure you want it?

Me: (in my head) "Why the hell are you so concerned about my family's finances. It's really none of your business. For all you know, I invented the Hot Pocket."

I ended the interview and found another job that matched what I was looking for.

Now that I think about it, a similar conversation happened over a decade ago.

HR: "Here at our company, we only can pay you $$$$$$$. How are you going to live in this community with that little income?"

Me: "I'm frugal and I paid off my college loans. I'm not married and I have no kids."

Again, I'm not sure why HR should really care about my wealth or lack of wealth. They should just be concerned if I can do the job or not.

I don't like the practice, but a law?

How about people just say no and go with principle. If enough do it, then it's over.
Why would you trust companies to "do the right thing"? If it was made a choice, and companies preferred that you did list your previous salary then obviously the people that listed the salary would be at an advantage in getting the job

I suppose you are against all state intervention into the market. So you're probably in favor of businesses giving up their limited liability, corporate charter, copyright protection, all trademarks, patents...etc.

You're for the free market right, where one employee mistake could bankrupt not only the entire company, but the owner personally and put the owner at risk for jail time with zero protections what so ever.

Tell me about how you hate limited liability.

I'm an anarchist at heart and libertarian of thought so i believe the state must unequivocally justify its use of authority. And in this particular case i don't believe they do.

Altho i believe a free market to be the best system I'm not going to sit here and preach free market principles at every whim when I know corporations use the state to do their bidding and impose anti-free market legalisation to their favor at the expense of competition and citizens. This is a serious problem I have with ancaps and rothbardians. I've used the analogy of a man being beaten by a group of thugs (corporatists) then when he defends hinself an ancap condemns him for using violence. There's a place for ideology but you have to understand it's practicality in the real world.

As for IP laws I definitely think we need to reexamine their place.

Last edited:
Back