New Original Unique Awesome Weight Class Idea

We humans like round numbers. It's in our nature and very closely related to our digits. We have ten of them, five in each hand. Machines don't care. Are you a machine TS? Is Skynet online yet?

skynet_takes_over_terminator_3_rise_of_the_machines.jpg

That's what we call a Digital Man!

Oh, fwiw, average weight in the UFC (assuming that every single fighter came in at exactly on point for weight class)

Fox6BH.png

169.73lbs

(this is only active fighters)

So arguably, the divisions should be focussed around 170lb's.

each side of 170 should be a small gap as thats where the bulk of fighters are in weight, then as it gets to the extremes bigger gaps..

so something like

Strawweight 115
Flyweight 130
Bantamweight 145
Featherweight 160
Lightweight 170
Welterweight 180
Middleweight 195
Light Heavyweight 210
Heavyweight 265

so only a 10lb gap between feather > Lightweight > Welter as thats where the bulk of the athletes

then 15lb gaps elsewhere

that would keep the number of divisions the same, but would balance them in favor of number of athletes
That's an awful idea. The reason the majority of fighters are at WW is because that's a normal human and not a midget or some gargantuan freak. The bulk of fighters are always going to be in those middle weight classes, even if you split it up you're just going to have more fighters joining in that group of weight classes and smaller guys struggle to cut as much weight since it's a higher percentage of their overall body weight meaning you're going to get ridiculous mismatches and guys failing to make weight.

That's an awful idea. The reason there majority of fighters are at WW is because that's a normal human and not a midget or some gargantuan freak. The bulk of fighters are always going to be in those middle wight classes, even if you split it up you're just going to have more fighters joining in that group of weight classes and smaller guys struggle to cut as much weight since it's a higher percentage of their overall body weight meaning you're get ridiculous mismatches and guys failing to make weight.

yes, thats why the majority of fighters are there

which is exactly why if you are going to redo the classes, you make the gap between those classes smaller to spread the fighters between divisions more and give the "average" male more optins

you say its an awful idea, then go on to pretty much state exactly why its a good idea. :D

They should create another division Cybro can't fit into and then complain about, that would be awesome

which is exactly why if you are going to redo the classes, you make the gap between those classes smaller to spread the fighters between divisions more and give the "average" male more optins

you say its an awful idea, then go on to pretty much state exactly why its a good idea. :D

Then you're just purposefully killing competition and spreading fighters for the heck of it.

You're going to have fighters jumping throughout 3 different divisions from fight to fight, besides the champion. Unless the champion gets the smartass idea to hold multiple belts as well.

I do like the even spread but they wont be changing anything for a while

Whats funny my coach fought in the dark ages when they would say if youre over 200 get on that side of room and if under 200 get on that side. Then theyd draw straws LOL

No because the multiple weight classes will just open it up for more fighters to come in and existing fighters moving around.

Guys struggling to make those already sparse weight classes at the bottom (which will be even harder with your 15lbs weight gap) will move up and guys who are sick of getting spanked by guys like Romero will move down.

Welterweight is the most diverse weight class in terms of physical attributes so that's what makes it the most appealing because there's less disparity between both your strengths and weaknesses over your opposition.
1. At the smaller weights there's a massive chance of you being outlasted cardio-wise or being slow as fuck, and being strong isn't as big of an advantage because you're tiny regardless.
2. At the bigger weights there's a massive chance of you being out-muscled or out-powered, and being fast or having good cardio is going to be an advantage less of the time because there are more big, heavy hitters than will manhandle you or fuck you up with one punch.

I'm tired of all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around. "The jump from 155 to 170 is too big" blah, blah.

The only absolute fair way is to pick a starting point and go up a standard percentage from there. Lets say we want the smallest division to be 120. My standard increase will be 10 percent. (rounded up or down to nearest whole number).

New divisions could be:

Yes, that is 9 divisions, up from 8 now, but I think they're spread out more evenly and fairly. 10% is a good number to spread out the divisions. Sorry, but I don't feel the need to have 4 divisions 155 and under. As you go up, the spread should get wider - a 200 pound guy can cut more water than a 150 pound guy.

For those of you who want superheavyweight freakshows, good luck. There just aren't enough talented big guys to make that division. I'm fine with bumping 234 to 235 and 257 to 265 and other such MINOR adjustments.

Range on smallest 3 divisions: 25 pounds
Range on middle 3 divisions: 33 pounds
Range on top 3 divisions: 45 pounds

Sounds fair to me. flame away.[/QUOTE I think it a great idea with more divisions we would see more championship fights. I think the numbers need some work.

I like the idea but I've always thought there's too much of a gap between 155 and 170 and having it go from 145 to 160 is too much at those weight classes. 160 pounders will be huge compared to 145 and if you're too small for 160 and you can't cut to 145 you're UFC career is over I've always thought it should be:

Don't really see a need in a cruiserweight division since LHW and HW is already pretty thin and the best weight for a HW seems to be around the 240 range and only sometimes are fighters 265+ but other HW's are fine with them and any 225-230lb fighter can normally cut to LHW

I think what we all agree on is that TS's idea isnt...

new

or original

or unique

or awesome

and a 115lb girl v a 130lb girl, is not the same as a 145lb man fighting a 160lb man

both are 15lb apart, but the difference in actual physical strength is totally different..
not sure I 100% agree. Looking at Olympic lifting records for example - you see a ~7% increase in totals between the lower weight classes (7kg's or about 15 lbs differences between class) regardless of sex.

New divisions could be:

I'd be in complete agreement except for the heavier divisions. Simply don't have the talent up there, I'd go:

120-fly
132- bw
145- fw
160- lw
176- ww
193- mw
215- lhw
270- hw

FLW 130, BW 140, FW 150, LW 160, WW 170, MW 185
[ increases the manlet weight, and decreases jump from 155 to 170 ]

LHW 205, HW 245 (or)
LHW 200, CW 220, HW 245.
[ HW ceiling needs to be lowered, force fighters to do cardio! ]
I agree. There should be a gap/belt between lhw and hw.

As much as I like DJ, removing FLW will only make the BW and FW divisions more robust as surely with the new influx of fighters from 125 some BW's will move up to FW. This also gets rid of the need to continue to build FLW (which the UFC seems to not want to do.)

The only real difference is there is no HW limit and a fighter now has to weigh at least 225+ (many LHW and even some MW can hit 225. TRT Belfort for instance and I'm sure Weidman and Rockhold can hit 225) so no really smaller guys would potentially be fighting at HW against some 280lb behemoth.

225+

234 is horrendous and 120 has no reason to exist

and yes, as pointed out, the gaps in the smaller divisions are just too big

oh, this thread is old. whatever

I'm tired of all the arbitrary numbers being thrown around. "The jump from 155 to 170 is too big" blah, blah.

The only absolute fair way is to pick a starting point and go up a standard percentage from there. Lets say we want the smallest division to be 120. My standard increase will be 10 percent. (rounded up or down to nearest whole number).

New divisions could be:

Yes, that is 9 divisions, up from 8 now, but I think they're spread out more evenly and fairly. 10% is a good number to spread out the divisions. Sorry, but I don't feel the need to have 4 divisions 155 and under. As you go up, the spread should get wider - a 200 pound guy can cut more water than a 150 pound guy.

For those of you who want superheavyweight freakshows, good luck. There just aren't enough talented big guys to make that division. I'm fine with bumping 234 to 235 and 257 to 265 and other such MINOR adjustments.

Range on smallest 3 divisions: 25 pounds
Range on middle 3 divisions: 33 pounds
Range on top 3 divisions: 45 pounds

Sounds fair to me. flame away.

you basically went through a lot of trouble to make a weight class between 205 and HW

Back