New personal favorite idiot in the gym moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some messed up stuff in the gym today! I might start taking videos on my phone as I 'pretend to text message' hahahah. Vids would make this thread a whole lot better!

It would be awesome if we can get more videos in here. I work out at home so I cant pitch in for that.

Nice story Shogun.

You may want to inform him that at 225 bw he should be able to bench more than 235 anyways. Especially if he's a true hard-core bench monkey.

He was not happy, kept saying "i'm better than this, I can bench 235!!"

This made me giggle.

Worst part was, the dude wasn't man enough to acknowledge the obvious -- "my lower body isn't very strong, I need to fix that."

I'm sure in his own mind he's now cobbled together reasons why he moved so little weight, why he never needs to do squats again, etc.

Well I had my "friend" (girlfriends friends boyfriend) come over to workout with me the other day. He is your typical johnny bravo looking bb routine type. He is always talking to me about his last workout and how much he bench's and curls etc. He wants to know my numbers and I always explain that I don't curl and he always gets a confused look on his face. Finally I convinced him to try my workout. Well needless to say I had a great time. Will set up camera next time.

Now I have been on an oly heavy routine lately but decided to go with a more traditional push/pull/press for him. I decided that squats would be the most fun considering I don't think he has ever squated in his life. Now the guy is VERY muscular and outweighs me by a good 30lbs. So I show him proper form on the exercises (back ATG squat, overhead squat hehe, and front squats)

I weigh 195 and do not have the loftiest squat numbers but I still manage to get the job done. I did a warm up set of back squats with 205. He said it looked easy and wanted more weight. I was tempted to throw more on but decided my gf would be pissed if I broke her friends boy toy. Needless to say he got stuck on the first rep. Good times. He finally managed to get through 5 reps at 135. At least he did it though. He was not happy, kept saying "i'm better than this, I can bench 235!!". Next up was overhead squats. I told him he could skip these but he wasn't having it. So I once again warmed up with 115 and he looked very confident. I insisted that he start off with 65 to get the form down and because it is a difficult lift. Now I clean the bar up so he wanted to give that a shot.......well we never made it to even trying one overhead squat because he ate it falling backwards trying to clean 65 lbs. He left shortly after and hasn't talked to me since.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has similar "friends" .

You are a dickhead, and not in a good way.

WTf.. he thought he'd have a massive ATG squat just cause he benches 235? That doesn't even make sense, and wtf kind of BBer only benches 235 anyway?

I really enjoyed your story. It seems like you tried to make him take a conservative approach toward real lifting and he just let his ego get in the way of something he knows nothing about.. Kudos.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLtuzdbEdRo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLtuzdbEdRo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjSCzC4R6gk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjSCzC4R6gk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he's a weak curl bench monkey no doubt. bodybuilders train their entire body and good ones ahve good squats as well.

One guy at the gym benches 225...by arching his back so much that I could probably crawl through it. Not to mention he bounces the bar off of his chest hard enough to crack hist sternum.

You can't beat the guys that only do upperbody and have massive arms with chicken legs.

This older guy was doing these biiiig looping shrugs today. I politely said "Excuse me, sir, do you mind if I make a suggestion?" He goes, "What." I said,"when you do shrugs, it's best to do them up and down. There's no reason to rotate your shoulders, it causes anterior glide of the humeral head (I gave a medical explanation so he might actually start doing them the right way)." He goes,"It hurts to do them the other way." Probably because he's never lifted a weight without the use of momentum before. I said good luck, and he didn't respond.

This older guy was doing these biiiig looping shrugs today. I politely said "Excuse me, sir, do you mind if I make a suggestion?" He goes, "What." I said,"when you do shrugs, it's best to do them up and down. There's no reason to rotate your shoulders, it causes anterior glide of the humeral head (I gave a medical explanation so he might actually start doing them the right way)." He goes,"It hurts to do them the other way." Probably because he's never lifted a weight without the use of momentum before. I said good luck, and he didn't respond.

You would've sounded like a douche had you not given a medical explanation, but since you did, he is t3h douche.

I hate people that give unsolicited advice in the gym, even when they are right.

This dick tried to tell my friend how to spot for me while I was benching, as he sat next to us alone, without a spotter, benching with both feet raised to bench level and no collars on the weight.

I told him that if my friend were to attempt to spot me the way he described that my friend knows he would receive a swift punch to the face for being a douchebag and ruining my lift.

I hate people that give unsolicited advice in the gym, even when they are right.

I hate it, too. However, it really made me cringe to watch his shoulders. I made sure to ask permission to give him advice before I gave it, for precisely that reason.

P.S. I saw a guy load the bench up to 315 and raise his feet up to the bench and do it for reps...it absolutely baffled me.

I think I did a huge disservice to the Marines today.

I go to a "recreation center", not a gym. This means the only people in there are middle-aged, never competed a day in their life, never put in any physical effort working out, never thought for themselves regarding exercise, easliy impressed by machines and stretchy shirts on trainers couples.

This "recreation center" is in the Bay Area. Thus the examples of mediocrity I just cited also collectively choose to not think for shit and instead just adopt whatever retarded attitudes come out of Berkeley.

So into this environment I go in wearing a Marines shirt. I tried a PR in zercher squats and several times my arms just gave out and I dropped the weight. I didn't think the slams were very loud considering the music blaring and the buzz of some thirty machines running simultaneously but I swear every eye was digging daggers into my back after every set. They might as well have had thought balloons like in the comics over their heads because their malice was so obvious. I know they think that the entire USMC is a collection of retards who are set to make life unpleasant for everyone while they systematically 'destroy their back and knees'.

You should have responded to their silence by shouting "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back