New perspective after watching the documentary ‘Icarus’

emema

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just watched ‘Icarus’ a documentary about Russian doping in the olympics. Given the nature of the gravity and implications of the fact that virtually every Olympic result is possibly tainted in the ENTIRE modern history of the games, my question is are we too tough on MMA fighters that are just getting caught now when just a few years ago everyone was probably taking something? It’s hard to find a baseline to even judge fighters since detection methods only became sophisticated fairly recently. Think of all the fighters who didn’t get caught but fought during a time when it was super easy to avoid detection. So if Olympic results lack credibility dating as far back as 70s or earlier, how can we rush to crucify fighters now if the system itself is broken?

maybe we should just be criticising olympic athletes more harshly.. not taking easy on both?

Anybody that cheats post USADA era is pretty reprehensible to me. Not sure what your point is

Athletes at the top of the pyramid use PED's, period. Full stop.

I just watched ‘Icarus’ a documentary about Russian doping in the olympics. Given the nature of the gravity and implications of the fact that virtually every Olympic result is possibly tainted in the ENTIRE modern history of the games, my question is are we too tough on MMA fighters that are just getting caught now when just a few years ago everyone was probably taking something? It’s hard to find a baseline to even judge fighters since detection methods only became sophisticated fairly recently. Think of all the fighters who didn’t get caught but fought during a time when it was super easy to avoid detection. So if Olympic results lack credibility dating as far back as 70s or earlier, how can we rush to crucify fighters now if the system itself is broken?

You are too tough on fighters in general since you are an unathletic nobody.

During Icarus all I was thinking was....

Fedor.

Russia.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Anybody that cheats post USADA era is pretty reprehensible to me. Not sure what your point is
My point is it was very easy to cheat the system before so a culture of doping develops. This taints entire sport systems including the olympics. Now that detection systems are more sophisticated, fighters are just getting caught more frequently. But that doesn’t change past accomplishments if everyone possibly could be cheating before. So if Jones fought dirty opponents his entire career while being dirty himself, is his entire legacy ruined?

Just let them dope. Legitimacy is already dead.

Fedor.

Russia.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
PRIDE wasn't drug tested. That's why Fedor has the reputation he does. Everyone he was fighting was allowed to be juiced up, so his own juicing status could not have conferred any unfair advantage.

(and yes, this raises the issue of whether we should stop banning PED's)

Watched it a few weeks ago, brilliant documentary which any sports fan should watch.

Not sure about you bigging up doping detection methods though, the former high up in USADA or Wada (can't remember which) admitted as much himself and it outlined how easy it is to get around the system.

PRIDE wasn't drug tested. That's why Fedor has the reputation he does. Everyone he was fighting was allowed to be juiced up, so his own juicing status could not have conferred any unfair advantage.

(and yes, this raises the issue of whether we should stop banning PED's)

Ya, but Fedor fans are quick to dismiss Pride's lack of testing and point out that Fedor was tested for Sambo and Judo.

Therefor being a clean guy fighting juice monsters in Pride.

'Icarus' hurts their argument.

Ya, but Fedor fans are quick to dismiss Pride's lack of testing and point out that Fedor was tested for Sambo and Judo.

Therefor being a clean guy fighting juice monsters in Pride.

'Icarus' hurts their argument.
I've never seen anyone say that Fedor was clean, not that I've read every thread here. Regardless, even if he was on even juicing grounds, his record still puts him at GOAT level.

Fedor.

Russia.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Aww, look at the cute little troll. Nice try little troll but accusations are not enough, there are plenty of the ufc guys that are getting nabbed for real every month or so to pay attention to.

Lets just say for the sake of discussion he was, that would have meant a fair playing field back then anyway.

Aww, look at the cute little troll. Nice try little troll but accusations are not enough, there are plenty of the ufc guys that are getting nabbed for real every month or so to pay attention to.

Lets just say for the sake of discussion he was, that would have meant a fair playing field back then anyway.

Sorry my jokes trigger you but its hilarious how many Fedor fans say everyone in pride was juicing EXCEPT Fedor and point to his Sambo and Judo testing as the reason why.

Then we find out there is a massive state sponsored doping program in Russia.

But more importantly,
Have you seen Icarus yet?

Cause if you just responded without seeing the documentary YOU are the troll lol.

How many times do we have to go over the fact that ball and team sports aren't the same as a sport where guys are kicking and punching eahc other in the head, and breaking, and twisting ligaments.

After watching "Icarus" i realize how corrupt the system is and that Jon Jones will probably get away with minimum punishment.

#6monthsmax
#freejonjones

I don't give a shit about the Olympics. This is a UFC forum; I care about the UFC. And I think it should be cleaned up as much as possible.

Back