New Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going on Monday for ten days - got a fight back here in Korea on the 28th. I've been before, but not to train. Been watching a lot of this, which is quite entertaining. I'm training at Phromthep in Rawai, on Phuket.

I'm leaving for Thailand on the 29th. It's my first time in the Land of Smiles, and I can't wait. Six hours of training a day is gunna kick my arse, but.

Anyone coming through Koh Phangan come train with us for a while. Big gym all new equipment. Website will be up in a couple of days. We are also hosting a big fight night this friday that will be on channel 7 in Bangkok. Buakaw will be here as well in a few days for training and the fights. Webisite will be done in a few days and i will post links if anyone is interested.

Ok well i will be going to Thailand...Hopefully, for 6-7months starting at the end of June. Now heres the problem im thinking of training in Bangkok at Keathamthorn or Kaewsmerit. It would most likely cost me 25000Baht a month to stay at the gym train twice a day etc. Now I will have about 1 year of experaince when I go. Will i be able to support myself on fighting Muaythai? I will only have about enough chedda to pay for 3 months.

Does anyone know if these gyms will let you become a gym fighter after a certain amount of fights or after you prove yourself? Im staying for more then half a year. If not does anyone know gyms in Chaing Mai that would do this.

I just want to improve as much as possible in this amount of time and fight as much as possible as you only get better by acutally fighting;). Of course without breaking the bank.

Gym im looking at:
Chay Yai Gym
Kaewsamrit Gym
Keatkhamtorn Gym
Lanna Muay Thai

But mainly the Bangkok ones.

Anyone coming through Koh Phangan come train with us for a while. Big gym all new equipment. Website will be up in a couple of days. We are also hosting a big fight night this friday that will be on channel 7 in Bangkok. Buakaw will be here as well in a few days for training and the fights. Webisite will be done in a few days and i will post links if anyone is interested.

Post up a link!
I will be staying at Tiger Muay Thai in June

we will record the fight night and i will post the video up on youtube. An answer to Zuskan question, most gyms like Kaewsamrit Gym won't give you much of a deal if you fight unless your fighting at a high level. They won't ask for a % of your purse but i am sure they will still ask for 25k a month. Rompo gym has changed alot in the last few years i think but they will let farang guys train and fight there and just take %30 of your fight purse. I will do the same thing. Free Training and %30 of your purse. Can work something out for accomidation as well that works for both parties.

I'm off to Tiger Muay Thai on the 1st of March for 3 months can't wait to get over there.

I know alot of people dislike Tiger But back in the UK my options are limited for grappling and MMA focus so i'm happy to train both while im there with some private lesson's as well So if any sherdoggers are around there feel free to drop me a message and meet up! hopefully some of you guys have been before can show me around!

I would like to thank Bryan Lee and Ryuko Damashii (Sp) as they helped me plan a few things out in the old Q & A thailand thread

I'm going on Monday for ten days - got a fight back here in Korea on the 28th. I've been before, but not to train. Been watching a lot of this, which is quite entertaining. I'm training at Phromthep in Rawai, on Phuket.

Thanks for the link Peekay. I saw the first 3 episodes and could not find the others.

I will be there in April 2 for 10 days and will be training at Muay thai plaza and 13 coins...anyone else in Thailand during this time?

I will be there in April 2 for 10 days and will be training at Muay thai plaza and 13 coins...anyone else in Thailand during this time?

Yes Sir! I arrive on April 1 and staying till May 10 at Keatkhamtorn.

Ok well i will be going to Thailand...Hopefully, for 6-7months starting at the end of June. Now heres the problem im thinking of training in Bangkok at Keathamthorn or Kaewsmerit. It would most likely cost me 25000Baht a month to stay at the gym train twice a day etc. Now I will have about 1 year of experaince when I go. Will i be able to support myself on fighting Muaythai? I will only have about enough chedda to pay for 3 months.

Does anyone know if these gyms will let you become a gym fighter after a certain amount of fights or after you prove yourself? Im staying for more then half a year. If not does anyone know gyms in Chaing Mai that would do this.

I just want to improve as much as possible in this amount of time and fight as much as possible as you only get better by acutally fighting;). Of course without breaking the bank.

Gym im looking at:
Chay Yai Gym
Kaewsamrit Gym
Keatkhamtorn Gym
Lanna Muay Thai

But mainly the Bangkok ones.

You cant go wrong with kaewsamrit or Keathamtorn. I've trained at Kaewsamrit and I have a friend, she's the current female Nuk Muay there, at Keathamtorn. Both are respectable gyms in BKK and when I return I plan on at least doing a few days or 5 at Keathamtorn and do the remainder at kaewsamrit

Yes Sir! I arrive on April 1 and staying till May 10 at Keatkhamtorn.

Nice, it will be my first time, if you got some spare time, we should meet up.

From April 2nd - April 6, I will be at MTP.

For those who have been before-

Is there any gear I should really remember to pack, besides my gloves, wraps and mouthguard?

Ta.

For those who have been before-

Is there any gear I should really remember to pack, besides my gloves, wraps and mouthguard?

Ta.

The only things you need to take are a mouthguard and a groin protector (nothing worse than getting knee'd in the balls.

You can buy everything else there for not much money, a lot of guys esspecially buy gloves there. All that Fairtex and Twins stuff is made in Thailand.

Also, bring a good pair of running shoes.

Apart from that, everything you need will either be provided for by the camp or you can buy it dirt cheap.

It's going to be hard for you. It's true a lot of gyms will let you train for free if you show that you want to represent them, but it's the sort of thing where you have to prove yourself first. That means showing up almost every training session, working your balls off, and then fighting a few fights... and when you start fighting, it has to be regular, really regular. Even then, you don't get your rent paid, only your training is free. You'll barely earn any money at all fighting, probably not enough to live off.

The thai fighters, I don't know how they survive. But obviously the tourist-fighter is paying over the odds for their rent and food... they have their own room in a place aimed at westerners, and they eat out for every meal. Thai fighters live in shared places that aren't in good condition, and they cook together with ingredients they've bartered for. As you can imagine, it's hard for a westerner to replicate this kind of lifestyle.

Just save every penny you can, and perhaps get the sort of plane ticket where you can change your return date easily. Take as much money as you can out there, try to support yourself with the fighting, try to live without the luxuries (westerners spend thousands out there alieviating boredom), and see how long you last. You can always fly home when you run out of cash.

Leaving for Bangkok in a few hours; I'll be in Pattaya for a week and then Phuket for three weeks following. What're the chances I run into a Sherdogger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back