New Shadowboxing!

Also how much slip line work do you do? Looks like you have decent head movement but as someone above mentioned you only move it when you're not throwing punches. Shadowboxing on the slip line will help fix this.

I take what johnny from expertboxing says with a grain of salt because he's contradicted himself a number of times but he still has some pretty good stuff

same here. does anyone know if he has ever fought? theres nothing on his youtube channel.

Random internet muay thai asshat checking in. Initially wasn't gonna post in here, but several others have mentioned it so add me to the crew I suppose. IMO you look stiff/rigid. That's not to say you have bad movement/posture. You pivot very well and I love that you throw shots on the break, but you just don't look relaxed to me. Someone mentioned it above (forgot to quote it), but you don't seem to move your head much when you throw or are looking to throw. It's mostly just when you have already committed to move. I always have a hard time putting this stuff into words, but that stiffness basically makes you easy to read/timeable (for me). The way you hold your head when you throw your jab is a little weird (this head/neck is the source of some of the stiffness?). It's like you've tucked your chin, but also leave it open to a well timed big fatty right cross or overhand. I dunno, maybe that's really a defensive range thing from boxing? Again, I'm a muay thai guy but that's the stuff I'm seeing from my perspective :D If I could pick one suggestion, just try to play a lot more in sparring if you have the opportunity, or even holding pads for someone else. For me, learning to play and joke around a lot while remaining active really loosened me up and actually improved my feint game a ton.

@Sano

yup to each his own, im not a boxer lol

check this stuff out I found as well from the expertboxing channel

boxing-stance-side.jpg

I would still say your stance is a bit more erect/upright than the picture below of "boxing stance" but everyones body type is different, so if it works for you, than thats whats best for you.

muaythai_boxing.jpg

glad you mentioned GGG as he was exactly who I was thinking of referencing for you, but you were already on it ;)
Yeah he has some good stuff, but it's hard to pick out a single stance. It depends on the purpose. I've seen him teach a variety of stances as well, and all of the three stances in the top picture can be useful. I do think he has some amateur experience, at least that is what I remember. I will defintely be extra way of overhands and hooks though, and play around with it more.
@Sano stands very upright because he's actually a 5'2 manlet. when he stands erects with the right angles, he looks over 6'

It has nothing to do with fighting whatsoever, he's been duping you guys for months now.
You see straight through me as always <3

Yes, I jizzed on the walls too
other people have already mentioned it but you are very upright.
you don't have to be 'Hunched' but throwing 4 punch combinations with your head hanging up in the air dead on the center line is begging for trouble.
Variety of punches is good and your feet are pretty solid and you use them well for the right cross.
couple of times you are throwing a slap instead of a left hook because your elbow is down but not a constant issue.
If i was you my concern would be head movement, it looks very rushed and awkward, always the same pattern and rarely in an actually useful position. have you ever worked on it/ do you have some hip issues?
you move from your back but without any foot/hip engagement so that while it may feel to you like you are moving your head the actual effect is pretty minimal in terms of getting out of the way of punches as your head is only a few centimeters from where it started (doesn't have to be a huge movement but enough to not get hit) and if someone were to jab with you, you would probably come off worse.

For sure not meant to be bashing you i think it's awesome that you want to improve and share your progress with us! it's just easier for me to focus on short constructive points.

Cheers
Yeah, I do have problems with my hips actually. My ROM is quite poor, especially my internal rotation, it seems to be an osseous limitation so nothing I can really do about it. I keep hoping that they will improve. Makes it harder to use them, but then again, there are many ways to Rome.

The stance looks fine to me, its your rigidness that is making you look sloppy. Loosen up, lead with your hips on those punches and over exaggerate the rotation of the hips in your punches because right now it looks like all arms. You're getting next to no extension on those punches.

SLOW DOWN and work on your form. You have tons of unnecessary movement. Not sure why everyone is on this shadow boxing speed thing right now but you guys are going to throw your shoulders out or hyperextend your elbows.
You're video looks similar to YCMs, except he was doing this really weird thing with his rock back that looked like it could snap his spine if he went a little harder.
Don't worry, wont throw out my elbows. I take that as a compliment, being compared to YCM. He would flatline me in a boxing contest, and you too most likely.

-
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

@a guy anything to add to help a dude out before we close the show? It's been a while.

Last edited:
Good work dude! Loved the tenacity in that first clip, especially the level changing jabs, I love spearing them out like that now and again!

I re-watched your shadowboxing and have to say this time, I paid special attention and saw that when you were punching your head-movement (slipping) should be built right into the punches but your head was a little too stationary for my tastes.

The natural mechanic should have your head slipping- not a LOT, not exaggeratedly, but just enough to slip a punch, and I dont think you were all the way there. Your head reminds me of a periscope a little. Keeping it still when punching makes it really easy to counter you, they don't even have to look. Also it fights against the energy of the natural body mechnics, robbing the punch of precious natural torque and leverage.

All I want is a little tiny bit more head movement (slipping) with your punches. It should look basically the same as how you're doing it already, almost indistinguishable (subtle but there). Little things make a big difference.

And when I was talking about having you lean slightly forward, you're already doing it most of the time, so no big change there.

When I used percent, I should have used degrees.10 degrees (from 90 to 100 on the protractor) is all you need. 5 degrees may work sometimes but is little shaky, somewhere between the two (or maybe just ever-so-slightly more) would be good. Also the lower one's legs bend, the more degrees of bending forward the human body does to naturally compensate (balance), so the effective degrees can vary somewhat. If you see someone like Tyson who bends his legs a lot, the natural lean will be more forward in those instances, it's not wrong.

protractor.svg

Ultimately, do what you want, but these are my suggestions.

Last edited:
Looks real good man. Especially the footwork. Some things to work on:

I agree with others that you could engage your hips a little more and sit down on your punches at the right times.

I'd really like to see you combine your offense and defense more fluidly. You tend to go attack mode, defend mode, and it's relatively easy to tell when you're doing which.

In addition to that, you fall into some predictable patterns, particularly with your head movement. You like to do the same pull, roll, roll, reset sequence over and over with little variation, and rarely will you move your feet or punch during that pattern. There are a few distinct ones like that I picked up on. Work on mixing them up. Sometimes pull then punch immediately. Sometimes pull, roll, pivot out, punch. Sometimes pull, slip, duck deeper, step in to smother. Stuff like that.

Another thing I'd really like to see from you is more in-out-in. For example, in with a jab, hop step out, back in with a 1-2. You've got that reach and somewhat upright style, so you need to be drilling those kinds of traps that rely on distance control and rhythm to catch guys coming in.

Very nice stuff overall. Keep it up!

You have no "centre ring" that you're adhering to. I always put down a 1kg dumbbell on it's head in the middle of my area.

From that you can work with throwing punches inside and outside of it, managing distance, and having a much more realistic feel of how to move around your opponent.

I also know guys that put a big X on the floor to work on getting around their opponent and finding angles. I find you're doing a lot of bouncing around aimlessly in some strange patterns that would make you walk onto some huge shots or towards the ropes or a corner in a competitive environment.

I think you have good hand and feet speed but you're bouncing around like a kangaroo. It looks like you're panicked. Learning to turn on the speed in an instant then relax again after you're back out of range will save so much energy and make you look a lot more experience than you may be.

I've been quite critical of you but hopefully not negative. I do think you move and throw pretty fast for a bigger guy and you'd light up a lot of dudes I train with.

@Sano

yup to each his own, im not a boxer lol

check this stuff out I found as well from the expertboxing channel

boxing-stance-side.jpg

I would still say your stance is a bit more erect/upright than the picture below of "boxing stance" but everyones body type is different, so if it works for you, than thats whats best for you.

muaythai_boxing.jpg

glad you mentioned GGG as he was exactly who I was thinking of referencing for you, but you were already on it ;)
all three look to have a shit stance to me. to square for boxing

i been thinking about it a bit and this might sound strange, but it looks a bit like your not really committing to your punching, i know it sounds stupid and i don't want to be offensive, but it was something i thought i saw on your bag punching clip. a few people have commented about your posture, but i don't think it is that so much as it is commitment to the punches, commit a little more and the posture would be fine. sometimes you just have to forget about technique, bite down on your mouth piece, tuck your chin and try to punch a hole through them. all the technique in the world won't help if someone doesn't respect your punches. your technique is good and i kinda think you would be a little better off forgetting about technique for a while and just trying to smash shit. (obviously still keeping defence in mind) i really though your style on the bag looked better when you let go a bit more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back