New Showtime Documentary "Tough Guys" about an MMA organization out of Pittsburgh in 1979-83

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Have any of you watched this yet? I started watching it last night, but I fell a sleep as I was dog tired from work. I'm going to finish it up tonight.

From IMDB...

"Ten years before the debut of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, two karate promoters and their fighters, a rough group of barroom brawlers, bikers, teachers and steel workers, pioneered the first mixed-martial arts league in the nation."

It's actually 14 years before the UFC, but you get the picture. The fights were kind of a mix between modern MMA and long pants kick boxing rules. The promotion was simply titled Tough Guy Contest. There was head gear, little karate booties, no kicks below the waste, but grappling and submissions were allowed, and MMA style gloves that had the figures covered more. There were no professional fighters allowed though.

Here is the trailer...

Last edited:
The trailer looks great. You have to think there were multiple events like that. My dad took me to an event in Mississippi when I was like 8 in 1991 that pitted different styles.

I am pissed that I just cancelled Showtime because I was paying $100 a month on cable.

Damn, that's pretty interesting! I'll definitely check this out. I am always fascinated by that particular period in martial arts history in general, and karate history in particular.

I miss the shiny pants kickboxing era. Here's one of my favorite highlights from that time. Trimble had an amazing kicking ability.

Damn, that's pretty interesting! I'll definitely check this out. I am always fascinated by that particular period in martial arts history in general, and karate history in particular.

I miss the shiny pants kickboxing era. Here's one of my favorite highlights from that time. Trimble had an amazing kicking ability.

Far more fun to watch then Thai Boxing.

Far more fun to watch then Thai Boxing.

Totally agree.

Thai Boxing is obviously an effective fighting style but it's not that interesting to watch, in my opinion. The karate and taekwondo influence in Full-Contact Kickboxing added a special element of excitement.

What were the rules specifically? Was there any ground and pound or submissions?

If there's a documentary being made, alot of people broke the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rules.

I caught the second half of it last week. It was alright. It's was a cool story about how they got pushed into obscurity.

What were the rules specifically? Was there any ground and pound or submissions?

No eye gouging, no fish hooking, no groin shots, no biting, 3 rounds, no kicks below the waste , and they allowed grappling, g&p, and submissions. 175lbs and below were considered LW's and 176lbs and up were considered HW's. No professional fighters allowed.

The trailer looks great. You have to think there were multiple events like that. My dad took me to an event in Mississippi when I was like 8 in 1991 that pitted different styles.

I am pissed that I just cancelled Showtime because I was paying $100 a month on cable.
Download Mobdro app, has live tv and many channels are available, including Showtime.

Ive read about the Pittsburgh MMA scene in the 70's somewhere before but I cant remember where
Wonder if these are the same guys I read about

Last edited:
That guy is from my neighborhood.

No eye gouging, no fish hooking, no groin shots, no biting, 3 rounds, no kicks below the waste , and they allowed grappling, g&p, and submissions. 175lbs and below were considered LW's and 176lbs and up were considered HW's. No professional fighters allowed.

What kind of fighters did they have, MA instructors?

What kind of fighters did they have, MA instructors?

It was a mix of Karate guys, amateur wrestlers, and bar room brawlers. There was actually a pro boxer that fudged his paper work and signed up and lost to some biker that did drywall for a living. The boxer was kicking his ass at first until he got taken down.

Totally agree.

Thai Boxing is obviously an effective fighting style but it's not that interesting to watch, in my opinion. The karate and taekwondo influence in Full-Contact Kickboxing added a special element of excitement.
<3>

Back