New Showtime Documentary "Tough Guys" about an MMA organization out of Pittsburgh in 1979-83

Cool. I'll have to look for it On Demand. I'm from that area, and have read about this organization before. They had a good plan for expansion, IIRC, but were forced to close down by the govt.

I watched it last weekend. It was pretty good. Most of the fighters were standup fighters. Either karate backgrounds, kickboxing backgrounds, boxing backgrounds, or bar fighters. There was one wrestler in there. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a single submission.

It was a mix of Karate guys, amateur wrestlers, and bar room brawlers. There was actually a pro boxer that fudged his paper work and signed up and lost to some biker that did drywall for a living. The boxer was kicking his ass at first until he got taken down.

Who ended up winning the whole thing, or who ended up dominating?

I finally got around to this one last night.

It was pretty interesting but one thing I really would've liked was more archival footage of the actual fights. I assume the reason there's not more of that is because it simply doesn't exist, but it IS a shame.

I wish someone would do a documentary on the American kickboxing scene in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. That would be pretty fucking sweet.

Damn, that's pretty interesting! I'll definitely check this out. I am always fascinated by that particular period in martial arts history in general, and karate history in particular.

I miss the shiny pants kickboxing era. Here's one of my favorite highlights from that time. Trimble had an amazing kicking ability.

Holy Crap. That is fun to watch. If Larry Bird and Chuck Norris had a kid he would be Jerry Trimble.

Holy Crap. That is fun to watch. If Larry Bird and Chuck Norris had a kid he would be Jerry Trimble.

LOL. Indeed. A hell of a lot of fun, I totally agree. It's a shame I was a little too young to really appreciate that era of kickboxing while it was happening.

If you liked that, let me share one more with you. It's time to meet . . . Steve SUPERKICK Vick!

LOL. Indeed. A hell of a lot of fun, I totally agree. It's a shame I was a little too young to really appreciate that era of kickboxing while it was happening.

If you liked that, let me share one more with you. It's time to meet . . . Steve SUPERKICK Vick!

Damn, Steve Vick is flashy as hell and entertaining to watch. If you take a kick to the gut with sparring gear on and it drops you then it was a good kick.

Damn, Steve Vick is flashy as hell and entertaining to watch. If you take a kick to the gut with sparring gear on and it drops you then it was a good kick.

Dude, I fucking LOVE that highlight and I've probably watched it at least 30 times.

Vick didn't win 'em all, but he had a good career and he was fun as hell to watch. I love how he used his taekwondo base and successfully adapted it for kickboxing.

That late-80s/early-90s era in kickboxing really was interesting.

Back