NFL Lineman: "I could be a UFC champ and beat Stipe"

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Pancake Sprawl, Feb 12, 2018.

1. number 9

number 9 Green Belt

"I'm pretty sure Damon's a good football player, but if I train for it I'd be a Super Bowl champ with MVP honors,"
    Number 9 told sherdog.com

2. dragovic

dragovic Blue Belt

[​IMG]

huh

3. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

and his NFL Combine stats were really impressive. So he was way more athletically gifted than the vast majority of NFL players, plus he knew how to wrestle.

MysticGOD and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  4. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Steel Belt Platinum Member

Kony Ealy is a mid tier, mayb upper mid tier type NFL DL imo. The consensus on him has always been that he is a great athlete, but that his technique needs to get better for him to develop.

If you see a belly and think a guy is a bum, then you don't know shit about athleticism. Guy was first team All SEC. You don't get there by being a bum.

Here's his NFL combine video. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000333195/2014-Combine-workout-Kony-Ealy

5. IngaVovchanchyn

The fact that NFL teams even looked at the guy when he didn't play college football is a testament to his athleticism. Very, very few people as big as Lesnar are as fast as Lesnar.

campbecc likes this.
  6. tdluxon

tdluxon Black Belt

Probably true with a little training but he weighs 340 pounds. The UFC should have either no cap on hw or a super hw division. Sammy schilt was awesome but he could never make 265, he's like 7' tall

7. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

If I recall correctly he committed several really stupid penalties and caused problems off the field as well that probably stopped him from making the team. They still wanted him to spend a season in NFL Europe to work on his skills but he refused.

IngaVovchanchyn likes this.
  8. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

Really tough to compare athletes across different sports. If you are going by those with exposive power, all 4 of those are probably A-level.

9. dragovic

dragovic Blue Belt

I googled Damon Harrison at that fat guy appeared.
    What I'm trying to say is that it seems like people feel the need to decide that all NFL players are "A level athletes" even though all of them are not

On topic: none of them would beat Stipe.

10. Frank23

Frank23 New York Belt Platinum Member

That's a great idea.

11. welcometohavoc

welcometohavoc Yellow Card

Well people on this forum seem to think a person who's job is to sack the QB or stop the run is an A level athlete

12. IngaVovchanchyn

I agree that none of them would beat Stipe. It's also clear that not all NFL players are A level athletes. I think we are mostly on the same page.

But your picture seemed to demonstrate a) ignorance of the actual athletes we are discussing and b) the attitude that being a bit heavy means a guy isn't a great athlete. Sometimes bigger is better; and that is true even in MMA. Guys like Hunt, Lesnar, and Bigfoot would be better fighters if they weren't forced to cut.

13. Dr Stoppage

Dr Stoppage Orange Belt

This fool couldn't play 15 minutes of rugby, nevermind beat Stipe

14. StrikerKing

StrikerKing Green Belt

How the F is Brock not "A level"... God I feel stupid using that term. He walked onto an NFL tryout and put up combine numbers that places him into the elite of NFL athletes in relation to his size. There are a handful of guys at his size that are comparable (JJ Watt comes to mind). And again, this was with ZERO prep... shit if I remember he was coming in fairly out of shape and recovering from an accident if memory serves me correct. Yet he put 99.9% of NFL Defensive tackles to shame, athletically speaking.

15. Takamine86

Takamine86 Black Belt

You guys do all realize that while you knocking the NFL lineman, the current UFC HW champion of the world is a baseball player who turned to MMA when he couldn't make it in Major League Baseball.

[​IMG]

Miocic was a MLB reject and now he is the UFC HW champion.

16. I_IZ_BACK

I_IZ_BACK Purple Belt

True but I would say he reacted pretty damn good when Carwin hit him (not a Lesnar fan btw)

17. dragovic

dragovic Blue Belt

a) i thought that was the guy in question, and to me he deserves ignorance when he speaks like that.
    b) great athlete - for sure. But as i said; people are too caught up believing NFL players are the absolute cream of the crop in all of sports. In general.
    Im not saying MMA fighters are better athletes in general though.

18. BangersAndSmash

BangersAndSmash Purple Belt

Baseball pays better but requires a pretty different skill set than MMA. What's your point?

19. IngaVovchanchyn

Some NFL athletes are the cream of the crop, and the best NFL defensive ends are about as athletic as you'll find a big man anywhere. Generally speaking, I think NBA players are the best athletes overall.

As far as MMA goes, I'm obviously a fan of MMA, but the average level of athleticism is noticeably lower than other pro sports. With the best MMA guys it isn't as apparent. But look at how athletic Schaub and Mitrione are relative to MMA and both were well below par for pro football. Of course, there's more to fighting than pure physical talent.

20. 90 50

90 50 Black Belt

Mitrione is better