NFL player donates his entire salary to charity

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
NFL player Chris Long has already donated his first 6 game checks to scholarships in the Charlottesville area, and he has now committed to donate his next 10 paychecks to charity to help underprivileged kids.

So he played this entire season for charity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-long-will-donate-every-game-check-2017-charity-134552444.html

Long, 32, on Wednesday morning announced he's giving away his final 10 checks this season to four organizations he has identified "whose missions focus on making education easily accessible to underserved youth while also providing students the support they need to develop strong social and emotional character."

Those four organizations are based in Philadelphia, Boston and St. Louis, the three cities he's played for during his NFL career.

"In my 10th year, I want to celebrate the awesome opportunity I've had to play football by giving back to the communities that have given me that gift," Long said in a statement. "Educational opportunity and equity are the best gateway to a better tomorrow for everyone in America."

With the donation, The Chris Long Foundation also announced the creation of the "Pledge 10 for Tomorrow" campaign, which hopes Long's donation will be matched by pledges.

“If you listen to people who tell you to ‘Stick to sports,’ I would ask them, ‘Do you stick to whatever your occupation is?’ ” Long said in August. “People always want to hear from athletes when they agree with them. When we voice a [dissenting] opinion, they have an issue with it. I think that athletes are role models. We should think about what we’re saying, then speak. And speak wisely.”

Since it is inevitably going to come up, Chris Long also spoke on the anthem issue weeks ago.

“I’ve said before that I’ll never kneel for an anthem,” Chris Long told reporters (via the Associated Press), “because the flag means something different for everybody in this country, but I support my peers. If you don’t see why you need allies for people that are fighting for equality right now, I don’t think you’ll ever see it. Malcolm is a leader and I’m here to show support as a white athlete.”

anthem-protests-chris-long-malcolm-jenkins-rodney-mcleod.jpg

That's a very nice gesture. The power of charity and helping out your fellow countrymen is really great, and it's an important thing to remember. Good for him.

This season is the lowest salary this guy has had since his rookie contract. Good timing.

A fine charitable cause, but it's weird if it's done out of peer pressure.

It's very generous of him to do that, but I'm not sure what his organization does for "educational inequality." Urban schools are having problems because the classrooms are like zoos. You can't just give these schools more money and think it's gonna change lives. Many kids in these schools don't want to learn. Many of them won't even hand in homework.

He'll write a book about it and make it back x10

For tax purposes, is there a phase-out for charitable deductions? Dude might be dipping into next year's pay too.

It's very generous of him to do that, but I'm not sure what his organization does for "educational inequality." Urban schools are having problems because the classrooms are like zoos. You can't just give these schools more money and think it's gonna change lives. Many kids in these schools don't want to learn. Many of them won't even hand in homework.

The problems are complex, there's lots of layers. Money does not solve everything, that's true. I'm not sure exactly what the charities that he chose are, but I do know that he has given scholarships directly to good students to attend schools that they could not previously afford, which directly improves that person's life (and perhaps their entire family) forever.

A fine charitable cause, but it's weird if it's done out of peer pressure.

You really think somebody could peer pressure Chris Long into creating a charity and giving away a million of his hard earned dollars? He's one of the most thoughtful professional athletes I've heard from. He's the one who influences others, not the other way around.

Exactly. Throwing money at problems where students in say certain areas of Chicago is completely pointless because the majority of them don't want to learn anything and see education as weak, most of them will be dead by gun shots before they know how to read properly. So there's point if they want to be animals.

But obviously pointing funding in the right directions can always be beneficial

never ceases to amaze me the idiocy that comes from this guy.

You really think somebody could peer pressure Chris Long into creating a charity and giving away a million of his hard earned dollars? He's one of the most thoughtful professional athletes I've heard from. He's the one who influences others, not the other way around.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the environment that has been setup with all this protesting the flag stuff, but that may not be the case and the timing is just coincidental. Don't know.

This season is the lowest salary this guy has had since his rookie contract. Good timing.
If anything, that makes it more meaningful. The dude is probably not going to increase in value, for him to give up that amount of money this late in to his career is a real sacrifice.

Back