NHL Offseason Discussion: Live From the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Leafs habit of giving up big leads is getting worrisome. There will be parts during the season where the scoring will dry up, and shit is going to get ugly if they don't get it together on the back end.
When have they ever had it together on the back end? In the 27 years I've been forced to watch Leaf games by friends and family they've had a decent defence a couple of times. Some people seem to think the McCabe/Kaberle years were good but...

When have they ever had it together on the back end? In the 27 years I've been forced to watch Leaf games by friends and family they've had a decent defence a couple of times. Some people seem to think the McCabe/Kaberle years were good but...

They've had some decent defense in the past. Nothing outstanding that I can remember, but far more balanced than at the moment.

This team just seems more of an all or nothing offensive juggernaut, than any time I can remember. Goaltending hasn't exactly been stellar either though, so it might be a little worse than it seems. If Andersen starts playing like he was near the end of last season, this "defense sucks" criticism goes away rather quickly.

Not complaining all that much though. Can't really argue with 6-1 at the moment. They're getting it done regardless.

Ii5udWs.jpg

Some ominous rumour concerning Bergevin is circling on hfboards.

...I bet he cut in line at timmies. YOU JUST DON'T DO IT.

hahahaha

The Scabs are soooooooo trash, and I fucking love it.

The Montreal Canadiens are the poster child for why diversity hiring is a bad idea (Bergevin and coaching staff). It's sad to think that they probably won't fire Bergevin because there is no French GM to replace him. The worst thing they can do now is to make panic moves and spend their near 9M worth of cap space. Everyone that followed their offseason knew that this year was going to be a write off. My plan would be to keep the cap space to throw money at Tavares, use the rest to retool their defence, and hope for a good pick this year. If they play their cards right, they could have a quick turnaround like they did in 2011-2012 to 2012-2013.

Subban - Weber trade was the turning point of this franchise and should get Bergevin blacklisted from ever managing an NHL team ever again.

The turning point for the franchise was the 2015 off-season. This was the point at which Bergevin lost me. We had squandered an historic season from Price by icing a pea-shooter offence in the playoffs. When asked whether he thinks Montreal's defensive system should be reevaluated, Bergevin attacked the reporter who asked the question. He then sent us in to the 2015-16 season without offensive help, Price gets injured, we trade for Scrivens, we score 1.0 GPG for almost 2 months straight. To me it wasn't even worth beginning the season without additional scoring help. You wouldn't believe the amount of ridicule I got for that opinion. I'm actually getting tired of being right about this team.

I was hoping they'd surprise me, but that center situation is too much. It might be the most shallow offense in the League on paper.

I was hoping they'd surprise me, but that center situation is too much. It might be the most shallow offense in the League on paper.

The reality is even worse. What is really surprising is just how bad the defence is. I mean, in the off-season I thought we needed to add another high quality LD like Martinez if we retained Markov. We did neither and opened the vault for fucking Alzner who's currently -a billion.

We traded or otherwise rid ourselves of our entire organizational LD depth including our top prospect. AND STILL WE DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CENTERRRRRRR.

Subban - Weber trade was the turning point of this franchise and should get Bergevin blacklisted from ever managing an NHL team ever again.

Poile won GM of the year award the year he traded for Subban. He actually didn't do much else beyond calling players up and sending them down. I'm not sure if Bergevin even got a single vote (beyond his own, probably).

I'm a diehard Hawks fan, but I have a bad feeling the Yotes get their first W against my boys tonight.

hey what's up man? You're a hockey fan too?

Being Canadian I think I'm legally obligated to be a hockey fan. I think it's in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
I live in a wasteland of hockey fandom, people here are football through and through.

I live in a wasteland of hockey fandom, people here are football through and through.
Every time I've gone into the US it's been during the playoffs and its never being shown anywhere, there's always baseball on. It's weird.

So, these Golden Knights...I think they're about to surpass my predicted win total for them.

I believe it should just be the Knights.

We already did have teams like the Blackhawks, Blues, Blue Jackets, and Red Wings. Enough with colors

Oof, ugly game from Zaitsev.

None of the other lines were good except for the Matthews-Nylander line, AGAIN.

Oof, ugly game from Zaitsev.

None of the other lines were good except for the Matthews-Nylander line, AGAIN.

Leafs need some policemen around the net. That first goal was ugly as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back