NHL Offseason Discussion: Live From the KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Habs fans have outright ignored my previous posts: what's your serious feelings on Claude?

I'm happy he's gone, but how do you think he's affected your team and ability to win?

Too much of an old school defensive first mentality but we knew that getting him since he already had a stint here. His system a lot like Therrien difference is Julien is a better communicator.
i
Montreal need a complete rebuild and hange in philosophy. They have been building around goalies and boring defensive systems and coaches for 20 years now. It hasn't worked and they need to stop being so conservatives and rebuild properly with fresh minds in management.

Yep that's kinda what I figured. Claude's time has come and passed. I'm so glad he's gone

Seems like just saying fuck it and trading Price for pieces and prospects would have been the best idea....

Cannot rebuild properly with Price-Weber-Alzner-Pertry-Shawful all signed for so frking long.

Seems like just saying fuck it and trading Price for pieces and prospects would have been the best idea....

I agree but that contract......

No one is taking on that contract without the Habs retaining or taking back some bad contracts.

I like Price but man....10.5m for 8 years for an injury prone 30 years old goalie....That was such a fucking dumb signing by Bergevin. Pretty sure we re stuck with him

I agree but that contract......

No one is taking on that contract without the Habs retaining or taking back some bad contracts.

I like Price but man....10.5m for 8 years for an injury prone 30 years old goalie....That was such a fucking dumb signing by Bergevin. Pretty sure we re stuck with him
Oooooophhh that's a lot of money. Yeaahh you are indeed stuck with him unless someone very, very important goes down

Cannot rebuild properly with Price-Weber-Alzner-Pertry-Shawful all signed for so frking long.

Which is why we re fucked for a while

All rhose contracts are terrible and will prevent a full rebuild. Bergevin has no vision. Shot himself in the foot with signing or trading for those contracts

@Prokofievian @auger38 @Gunners

Dunno who else I'm missing

What Tabarnakos said.

I find he'd be better suited as an assistant coach. Just to help develop the defensive side of a player's game. Chucky is already looking better defensively compared to where he was before Julien. It's just a matter of consistency now.

But ya, Montreal doesn't have the size/will to compete/defensive chops to play the style Claude wants. Which is a style that's going extinct anyways.

And Molson is no better. Gave his full vote of confidence last week. Bergevin even said so in his PC today.

So the team is basically owned by spineless owner , managed by a guy with no vision whose supposed 5 years plan failed miserably so he started another this year and coached by a guy with an old mentality who seem to refuse or is incapable to adapt.

So yeah right now we re like the North Korea of the NHL. Difference is that we re not a threat for anyone lol

Rasmus is our only hope...nothing against the other guys...but they are all wingers and we need a elite LD or a C...

we can maybe tarde MAXPAC for a Young C and move Drouin at wing...

Not a fan of Lekhonen here...

Why Rangers trade JT Miller? He fairly young. And all they got back was Namestikov? The Rangers will turn into the Knicks.

Be so interesting if Leafs move JVR, Sens move Ryan and Karlson, Cans move Pac, and Kings get someone.

You Habs fans have outright ignored my previous posts: what's your serious feelings on Claude?

I'm happy he's gone, but how do you think he's affected your team and ability to win?

I like him, actually. Our team is actually able to execute basic hockey plays now. It wasn't under Therrien. After years of watching the dumbest systems in hockey get picked apart by any coach with a brain, it's wonderful to watch our team be able to systematically break out of their zone. Julien just has a terrible roster. They're fundamentally unable to generate chances from the high slot.

Here's us this year:

MTL

And here's the 2016-17 Bruins:

BOS

Last edited:

I wanted to trade Price in the off-season instead of signing him to that ghastly contract. For obvious reasons the ''trade Price'' ship has sailed. Nobody wants an 84 million dollar goaltender that just put up a 900 3.00 season.

I didn't think Price would be worth that contract if he managed to play 0.920.

Casuals/old French guys from Quebec wouldn't be able to comprehend it if Price got traded, and that's who Montreal serves.

Hopefully his wife convinces him to retire due to too many injuries.

@Prokofievian @auger38 @Gunners

Dunno who else I'm missing

I like Claude better than Therrien for sure. Same reasons as Prok that they at least execute breakouts and have something resembling a structured system. I noticed this immediately after he was hired last year as Mtl went on a pretty good run to win their division going into the playoffs. The issue is that Claude's systems stifle offence which isn't good for a team that already struggles to score goals. When they played the Rangers this backfired as the Rangers also play tight defensive hockey and essentially the series came down to Henrik playing slightly better than Price and the Rangers having a couple more guys that could score. This year's terrible results have way more to do with shitty team management decisions made by Bergevin. Claude has nothing to work with, he only has 3 good proven players (Price, Patch, and Weber) but Weber has been injured pretty much all season, Price was sick or something and has finally had a bad year, and Patch wants out. So how the fuck are you supposed to win with that?

I am interested to see how next season plays out as Mtl is set to get a really good pick and has tonnes of cap space, but the guy in charge of getting out of this mess is the one who got into the mess in the first place ...
<{you!}>

That Cup winning Bruins team was made for Claude, this Montreal team was made for the funny pages. The Price contract was an albatross, you just can't pay a goalie that much for that long, it's such a fickle position. If Price could put up .920 until he was 38, then maybe, but you're taking a noticeable hit to your depth. Montreal is fun to bag on because their mistakes are so obvious. How long have they needed a center now?

And Molson is no better. Gave his full vote of confidence last week. Bergevin even said so in his PC today.

So the team is basically owned by spineless owner , managed by a guy with no vision whose supposed 5 years plan failed miserably so he started another this year and coached by a guy with an old mentality who seem to refuse or is incapable to adapt.

So yeah right now we re like the North Korea of the NHL. Difference is that we re not a threat for anyone lol

Molson is a cynical shallow pocketed gouger who won't change the front office because the fans of Montreal have more disposable income than sense. He will only change the front office once Bergevin's presence starts costing him money above and beyond what it would cost to replace him.

That Cup winning Bruins team was made for Claude, this Montreal team was made for the funny pages. The Price contract was an albatross, you just can't pay a goalie that much for that long, it's such a fickle position. If Price could put up .920 until he was 38, then maybe, but you're taking a noticeable hit to your depth. Montreal is fun to bag on because their mistakes are so obvious. How long have they needed a center now?

Even then. I figure that for Price to be worth 10.5 on any given year, he'd need to put up a 0.928 ish performance (based on how many excess goals he would save, and how much you'd have to pay for those goals otherwise, and comparing that number to the average starter salary). Carey has done that once in his career.

Even then. I figure that for Price to be worth 10.5 on any given year, he'd need to put up a 0.928 ish performance (based on how many excess goals he would save, and how much you'd have to pay for those goals otherwise, and comparing that number to the average starter salary). Carey has done that once in his career.
Yeah, realistically he would need to be almost perfect. His playoff stats their last couple trips were decent if I remember, but he was always pedestrian before that, and playoff stats are a moot point with this current squad. If he wanted more than 8 I would have told him him to kick rocks, all the people Montreal let walk and they hand him a blank check.

Yeah, realistically he would need to be almost perfect. His playoff stats their last couple trips were decent if I remember, but he was always pedestrian before that, and playoff stats are a moot point with this current squad. If he wanted more than 8 I would have told him him to kick rocks, all the people Montreal let walk and they hand him a blank check.

I had a series of long arguments on HF boards trying to get some sense out of Price stans. What came of it was I produced a list of goaltenders who were realistically available, and a list of steep, but realistic returns for Price's remaining year. I couldn't get anyone to agree with me that Bishop (who was available for a 4th) and Dallas' first last year would be preferable to Price.

Judo's going to Jennifer Lawrence me about that deal, but that's the point: people wouldn't even accept THAT deal instead of Price at a billion dollars.

It's honestly a bit of a cult. Like, Price fans DEFOO for real.

List was: Bishop, Raanta, and Gibson (Gibson + Theodore for Price). Every single one of these goaltenders have destroyed Carey this year. I never thought I'd be so right. I was preparing to argue that the gap between Carey and these guys wasn't large enough to justify the contract. Now I get to straight up be correct. It's liberating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back