nice work if you can get it, feed prisoners cheap, keep the difference

Yes, the best way to run a prison is to treat them like garbage, barely feed them, make them into animals.

Make their lives as "terrible as possible", regardless of the crime committed.

Then release them back into the general population.

<45>

They should be feed the same as kids get at school. Not the greatest but meets all the requirements.

Bread and water is legal punishment for 3 days I think.

Yes, the best way to run a prison is to treat them like garbage, barely feed them, make them into animals.

<45>
You'd rather prison be a 5 star hotel so that murderers, rapists and pedophiles could all live good lives after their abhorrent crimes?

IMO those people should be tortured in various different ways for a month then put to death. Hopefully that would further prevent people from committing those types of crimes, and save us money in the long run.

Then have regular prisons for lesser crimes, like assault, theft, etc.

You'd rather prison be a 5 star hotel so that murderers, rapists and pedophiles could all live good lives after their abhorrent crimes?

IMO those people should be tortured in various different ways for a month then put to death. Hopefully that would further prevent people from committing those types of crimes, and save us money in the long run.

Then have regular prisons for lesser crimes, like assault, theft, etc.

Umm dude it's literally against the Constitution to do that to prisons, but yeah the hardcore murderers and rapists and shit I don't really care how bad their food is.

the issue is not wether prisoners eat well, thats easy to regulate once you decide what is the minimum dietary needs, the issue is the thousands of dollars a year the sheriffs are making on top of the 90 grand a year wages, im sure voters were unaware of this for decades, its not in the sheriffs interests to publicise it.
i have no problem with law enforcement earning a good wage, but it should be public knowledge what it is, not kept quiet for years without being subject to scrutiny.
its no different to all the expenses politicians get ,and using family members as "secretaries" and "researchers" so they are riding the gravy train. nobody seems to be in favour of that, this is no different

This would be outrageous if it were like a school principle or community leader.

But I have no problems with prisoners getting garbage food. Prison isn't supposed to be a 5 star hotel, the whole point of it is to be as terrible as possible to prevent people from committing crimes. Good on this guy
Wrong

Even if you were to feed shit to prisoners the money should not personally profit the sheriff

Should go back to taxpayers

Officers should have fiduciary duty to not profit

all the biggest crooks are law abiding citizens

why break the law when you can just
change it to better suit your needs

<45>
Sheriffs are usually in charge of jails not prisons...or is it different in Alabama? I couldn't really tell from the link provided.

The people in jails are generally not convicted of a crime, just charged.

ROLL TIDE! Who cares about corruption or being the worst state in the union in most respects outside of Mississippi. Them boys can really play foosball.

Wrong

Even if you were to feed shit to prisoners the money should not personally profit the sheriff

Should go back to taxpayers

Officers should have fiduciary duty to not profit
Or re-invest it into the jail facility itself.

Case in point, my county passed a Jail tax about 10 -15 years ago. They rebuilt our off site work center for shit like work release and work crew inmates finishing out short sentences and didn't touch our main jail... that was near 20 years old at that stage. The rebuild of the work center was PRIOR to the county voting yes on a jail tax.

The jail tax passed but the funds were used for something else (no one has ever been told WHAT the funds were used for). And now they're trying to pass a jail tax again and the county as a whole (the voters) are all voting no cause the county pissed the money away 10 years ago.

The jail in question ^^^^

Sorry bud, this kind of stuff is more common in the southern solidly republican states.
It's been a law since Dems were in control. This is not a partisan issue. This is an issue of corruption regardless of party.

I'm stumped as to what this law originally intended let alone why it's still around.

Seems to incentivise increased expenditure while offering zero benefit for increased efficiency.

As long as he providing enough food, I dont see problem. We need more details like exactly how many calories/day the prisoners received.

This would be outrageous if it were like a school principle or community leader.

But I have no problems with prisoners getting garbage food. Prison isn't supposed to be a 5 star hotel, the whole point of it is to be as terrible as possible to prevent people from committing crimes. Good on this guy
That money belongs to the people of Alabama you utter fuckwit.

Alabama sheriff legally used $750K in inmate food funds to buy beach house
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-sheriff-legally-pocketed-750k-from-inmate-food-funds-bought-beach-house/

"he follows a state law passed before World War II that allows sheriffs to keep "excess" inmate-feeding funds for themselves.
Entrekin said the "liberal media has began attacking me for following the letter of the law."

how has this been allowed to go on for decades?
youd think at some point during the last, oh i dont know 50 years, some one would have looked at this loophole

That liberal media:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...te-food-fund-bought-beach-house-for-740g.html

As long as he providing enough food, I dont see problem. We need more details like exactly how many calories/day the prisoners received.

You don't see the problem with him getting a six figure bonus by keeping a budget surplus?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back