Nick Newell has a lot of star potential

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This guy has what it takes to be a big star in the UFC. It's something fresh since it's a very clear disability.

If you have no idea who I am talking about, this is Nick Newell.

20151018082833_1DX_3694.JPG

He is currently 14-1, with his only loss coming from top ranked Justin Gaethje. He is a finisher with 9 subs and 2 knockouts, 3 decisions. He will be on Dana White's Contender Series tonight.

His XFC championship victory (a smaller promotion) garnered 1.9 million views.

Compare this to Conor McGregor's highest rated pre-ufc promotion fight of 2.2 million, mind you a lot of those views come post-ufc, Nick hasn't even entered the UFC yet.

He uses a modified rear naked choke using his arm stump to prevent handfighting (making it much more difficult to escape), in otherwords, he turns his disability into a strength. That's an easy sell right there, MMA is one of the only major sports where a one armed person could have a chance. If he is able to rack up some wins I can definitely see this being a hot prospect.

I'm not all that familiar with his opponents but he looked impressive until he fought Justin. Justin made it look really easy to exploit his disability. Justin obviously is a great fighter so I'll have to see how he doesn't against a mid-tier guy I'm more familiar with.

It's funny how Dana acted like he was doing Newell a favor.

Then he puts him in the main event slot.

He won't be on tonight mate, it's on Tuesday night... hence the title of the show.

This guy has what it takes to be a big star in the UFC. It's something fresh since it's a very clear disability.

If you have no idea who I am talking about, this is Nick Newell.

20151018082833_1DX_3694.JPG

He is currently 14-1, with his only loss coming from top ranked Justin Gaethje. He is a finisher with 9 subs and 2 knockouts, 3 decisions. He will be on Dana White's Contender Series tonight.

His XFC championship victory (a smaller promotion) garnered 1.9 million views.

Compare this to Conor McGregor's highest rated pre-ufc promotion fight of 2.2 million, mind you a lot of those views come post-ufc, Nick hasn't even entered the UFC yet.

He uses a modified rear naked choke using his arm stump to prevent handfighting (making it much more difficult to escape), in otherwords, he turns his disability into a strength. That's an easy sell right there, MMA is one of the only major sports where a one armed person could have a chance. If he is able to rack up some wins I can definitely see this being a hot prospect.

You’re really reaching. You’re comparing apples to raisins.

In terms of marketability, sure. In terms of fighting ability, not so much

Anyone that accepts a fight with him should be ashamed of themselves.

I’m curious to see how he would do if he does get signed. Wish him the best of luck...
EqgJ626.gif

He will lose to high level competition. Gaethje was probably taking it easy on him because he'd look like an asshole if he KOed a one armed man.

Anyone that accepts a fight with him should be ashamed of themselves.

He took his time and beat everyone they put in front of him. If he can win his way into the UFC, good for him. He isn't asking anyone to take it easy on him and he's choked out everyone who underestimated his abilities.

I actually totally agree. A year from now he could be a star.

Back