Nieky Holzken vs Callum Smith in Boxing?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They fought yesterday. Does anyone have a video of it?
Really interested in seeing how Holzken does. He got outboxed and outmoved by Nabiyev. I don't wanna think what Smith did to him...

Really interested in seeing how Holzken does. He got outboxed and outmoved by Nabiyev. I don't wanna think what Smith did to him...
Don't know if there's a vid online, but the scorecards read 118-110, 117-111 and 117-111. That's really not that bad. Apparently it was mostly a jab fest.

Don't know if there's a vid online, but the scorecards read 118-110, 117-111 and 117-111. That's really not that bad. Apparently it was mostly a jab fest.
Found it:

Holzken did well tbh. Kept countering the jab with an overhand right which was more or less scoring. His defense was great. Ate very few clean punches. The way he utilized the Dutch style shell is great. Way too static to stand a chance at outboxing Smith tho. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nieky absorbed upwards of 100 jabs, whether on his face or gloves.
However, dude didn’t get embarrassed.
Hats off to him.

holzken was just out boxed callum was to long using his jab all fight and landing the ocasional power shots. holzken did pretty well though landed some power shots of his own but just wasnt any where near active enough and was just following callum instead of cutting the ring off. I knew holzken was tough and would robably go all 12 but everyone else was suprised that he was able to hang in there

holzken was just out boxed callum was to long using his jab all fight and landing the ocasional power shots. holzken did pretty well though landed some power shots of his own but just wasnt any where near active enough and was just following callum instead of cutting the ring off. I knew holzken was tough and would robably go all 12 but everyone else was suprised that he was able to hang in there
Guy was getting tagged up by Nabiyev in his own sport. I expected Callum (who is even bigger than Alim and a much better boxer, used to fighting 10-12 rounds) to put him away by the 8th, but Holzken just held on and even threw hard leather a few times, tagging Callum back.

Nieky took the fight on short notice too, he did well considering. A lot of the issues he has in kickboxing are present in his boxing i'd say.

Last edited:
Guy was getting tagged up by Nabiyev in his own sport. I expected Callum (who is even bigger than Alim and a much better boxer, used to fighting 10-12 rounds) to put him away by the 8th, but Holzken just held on and even threw hard leather a few times, tagging Callum back.

True, but you are forgetting one gigantic difference besides the different rules at which limbs are allowed to use. This was 12 rounds so the static style and picking his shots style of Nieky is more welcome in boxing than in 3 rounds of 3 minutes.

Still don't agree with the score, but I guess points are points.

walking fowards, not throwing enough shots and thinking that's enough to win.
His aggression works well enough. He backs almost everyone up against the ropes. His lack of volume is probably because he goes for the KO at every opportunity and puts 100% into his punches.
I’ve grown to like it, though I myself prefer Doumbe’s evasiveness and agility.
Was funny when Nieky blamed losing to Cedric on Cedric ‘running instead of fighting’.

Niekey seems to think making your opponent back up scores points, regardless of shots being thrown. His ring general ship was pretty poor in this fight as he just moved straight in the whole time face first into jab. Still, overall a great effort.

Nieky took the fight on short notice too, he did well considering. A lot of the issues he has in kickboxing are present in his boxing i'd say.

This is deceptive. Holzken was scheduled for a fight on the card against Dmitri Chudinov.

I actually see a lot more boxers than kickboxers who have low activity but can win rounds but getting the better power shots in. Tomoki Kameda is a good example. It makes me wonder if Nieky has been training and studying pure boxing a lot longer than we know.

Crazy this fight just slipped through the cracks. I found out about it late too. Boxing has worse promotion than MMA.

Crazy this fight just slipped through the cracks. I found out about it late too. Boxing has worse promotion than MMA.

This was a high profile event in boxing. Well it was, until one of the fighters in the main event pulled out and Holzken stepped in on just 4-5 days notice. That's unfortunately when everyone in the boxing world lost interest in this. And that's probably why you didn't hear about it, because there sure isn't much wrong with the promotion in this tourney.

Good effort from Nieky. He could have gotten completely embarrassed, but he did well.

Back