Nintendo Nintendo Switch 2

That's because Microsoft culture is clearly ruled by American business school by-the-numbers sensibilities. At some point in the past decade there must have been oodles of research from nerds showing that putting "One" or "1" in your brand was the way to juice sales. I remember those several generations where every goddamn Android phone was trying to wedge that into their flagships' names. In more recent years it's been "X". Gotta get that goddamn X in there. X,X,X...wait, um, Mr. Musk, sir...

Sony and Apple are trying to show the world how you do it. Stop being a bunch of tryhard shitters. Just label it what it is. Apple only succumbed that one generation with the "iPhone X", and everyone hated it. They listened. Back to numbering. PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5...it's almost like it makes goddamn sense.
lol, that stupid X name for Twitter. Imagine being named Æ A-12 Musk <lmao>. Poor kid, at least he's (she?) stinking rich.

I thought the justification for not calling the 360 the Xbox 2 was because it would appear weak compared to the PS3, or something stupid like that. Look at the mess that's lead to.

I wonder if Nintendo will call the Switch 2 something completely different and idiotic like Nintendo rectangle/gametangle.

Because the power gap has only gotten larger and many of the games I enjoy playing on the go are third party titles. I’d probably be better off buying a Steam deck even if that means giving up first party Nintendo titles which I find myself buying less of anyway. Pokémon has been awful as of late and a lot of their IP like Star Fox and Donkey Kong they barely touch anymore. Maybe if get one it won’t be until they build up a big library
Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that you'd responded the other day. The power gap hasn't gotten larger. If these rumors are true, it will have gotten smaller.

That's even if Microsoft or Sony release their next revisions of the PS5/XSX because the rumors for both don't offer a substantial performance leap, and even if they did, their game ecosystems would still be anchored to the bottom performing console within their generation (PS5/XSS).

To offer perspective, while it's more flawed than ever as a singular number to convey performance power, let's refer to FLOPS. When the Nintendo Switch released in 2017, a full four years after both the Xbox One and the PS4, when the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were already available, here were the TFLOPS:
  • 0.39 = Nintendo Switch
  • 1.40 = Xbox One S (original Xbox One was 1.31)
  • 1.84 = PS4

While we only have rumors for the T239 chip, and these don't include clock figures, we can extrapolate the TFLOPS from the estimated 1GHz boost clock speculated as the highest possible for the chip before power gets out of hand by Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry, and thus the chip would no longer make sense for a portable device. Compare:
  • 3.07 = Nintendo Switch 2
  • 4.01 = Xbox Series S
  • 10.29 = PS5
  • 12.15 = Xbox Series X

Nintendo's success baffles me in general, but it might've just been something as simple as a better name. I mean, what the hell was the "U" in "WiiU"? Kind of like how I think Xbox fucked up by calling the followup to the "360" the "One". They definitely had other marketing issues, but those names are just fucking awful and confusing on their faces.
The Xbox names confused me and I game, can’t imagine a kid trying to explain to his or her grandparents which one they want for Christmas

I think I have the one S? It’s slow af whatever it is

The Xbox names confused me and I game, can’t imagine a kid trying to explain to his or her grandparents which one they want for Christmas

I think I have the one S? It’s slow af whatever it is
Yeah, it's a mess. We can sort this shit out, but a lot of kids asking for an "Xbox Series X", will end up with an "Xbox One X", because it's cheaper, and the parents don't know shit from shit(or are trying to fool their kid). Personally, I thought Xbox would go with the "Xbox 720" for the One, and then maybe the "Xbox 1080". After that, I would expect them experimental with their names, as anything after that isn't very recognizable.

Meanwhile, there's the Playstation absolutely killing it, and following basic numerical structure and looking like geniuses for it. Ain't nothing confusing about "Playstation 2,3,4, and 5". The PS5 is the best one 'cause it has the bigger number. Absolute Mensa members, those Playstation developers must be. 5 is bigger than 4 after all. Crazy at how that works to give the average consumer an idea at what the hell it is.

Even Nintendo at least gives their consoles unique names. They learned from the WiiU not to get too vague with their names. If they called it the "Super Wii" it would probably still be in circulation.

Nintendo's success baffles me in general, but it might've just been something as simple as a better name. I mean, what the hell was the "U" in "WiiU"? Kind of like how I think Xbox fucked up by calling the followup to the "360" the "One". They definitely had other marketing issues, but those names are just fucking awful and confusing on their faces.

Yea but Nintendo's handhelds have always done well. The Switch is essentially just a handheld that can be docked. I wasn't to surprised by the success. Certainly didn't expect it to do this well of course but I expected it to do as well as all their other handhelds at the very least.

Back