NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v3: Still noobs at online gaming

EA gonna EA

EA's still butt hurt over the Wii U and Nintendo's decision to not use Origin as their primary online service.

Granted that decision was the beginning of the end for the Wii U, even before it's launch. They essentially cut ties for any major support and other 3rd parties jumped shipped right after them. 3rd party ports that did make it over hit months later and it just started a vicious cycle of low sales, lead to less support, to lower sales.

Glad to see Nintendo ditching gimmicks for the most part with the Switch and start rebuilding trust with 3rd parties again. They have a long road ahead of them, but they seem to be off to a pretty great start. Hopefully they can keep driving that momentum of good sales and get more 3rd party support lined up.

People complaining Mario games are too easy need to unlock the Dark and Darker Sides of The Moon. Granted I didn't try too hard but I only made it past the first boss on Dark side, then got tossed.

I made it to the 3rd boss before getting wiped. With a bit of practice it's do-able. I am hoping there will be tougher events.

Getting my copy of SMO delivered from Amazon today. Looking forward to playing it since all the reviews are great. Question for those who have it, will I miss out on anything playing mainly in handheld/tabletop mode? I plan on mostly playing this during downtime at work. I've heard some stuff about some control issues with handheld mode.

On a side note, we NEED a goddamn release date for Hollow Knight on Switch. Game looks so good. Also insanely hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, even though it'll be my first Xenoblade game.

It's a bit weird in handheld mode. There are moves in Mario's repertoire that's easy to do when you dual welding the controls as opposed to when you are playing in handheld mode. I'd do tabletop mode whenever possible but it's not completely unnatural to play it handheld mode. It's just way better the way. Example, Mario can throw his hat upwards/downwards or throw it in a circle by motioning the controllers. it's not instinctively easy in handheld. not even sure how I would do it without move the entire handheld lol.

Last edited:
Getting my copy of SMO delivered from Amazon today. Looking forward to playing it since all the reviews are great. Question for those who have it, will I miss out on anything playing mainly in handheld/tabletop mode? I plan on mostly playing this during downtime at work. I've heard some stuff about some control issues with handheld mode.

On a side note, we NEED a goddamn release date for Hollow Knight on Switch. Game looks so good. Also insanely hyped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, even though it'll be my first Xenoblade game.
The motion controls are awkward in handheld mode for sure. You need to move/shake the whole tablet for them to work. It is possible, it's just awkward and you'll be scared you're gonna drop it. Probably try tabletop mode if you can

GODDAMN some of the bonus moons and other assorted ones I'm missing are fucking hard as all hell to get so yeah, there is some challenge involved in the later events. Also, the current jump rope record is 5555(might be missing another 5 in there actually) for those curious.

I didn't say it was a bad game just don't personally have it up with the best games of the year let alone all the time. Also I thought Persona 5 was better, actually my personal fav of the year. I'm a sucker for fairly deep games with a good story though. This year we've been spoiled with some really solid games as well, a simple platformer although I can agree is very fun just doesn't stand out.

What do you think is better between Odyssey and Galaxy? I liked Galaxy alot more it's been years since I've played it but it seemed alot more challenging and fun with a better story.

Narrative wise, Galaxy 1 is a REALLY tough act to beat. Gameplay on the other hand is incredibly hard to gauge due all of the Mario Games of this style being incredibly different in certain respects. Mario 64 was fully open world and outside a few exceptions, you could tackle any star in any order. Sunshine was unique with both the FLUDD mechanic and episode setup for the levels where the level was the same, but altered with each episode in some way. Galaxy was similar to Sunshine with each star being its own unique episode, though the game was a bit more linear in that there were defined beginnings and endings to the levels. Odyssey is a throwback and combination of the classic 64 and Sunshine styles in that you can find any moons in whatever order you want, but certain moons move the ongoing plot of the area and the worlds are fully open world. Odyssey vs BotW doesn't work at all due to both being vastly different games at heart and purpose(platforms vs action/adventure) despite sharing a common ground(wide-open sandbox). This year has been REALLY fucking good for games for sure and the more I play Odyssey and more Easter Eggs I find, the harder the GOTY decision gets. Both are culmination of SEVERAL years of their respective franchises histories.

The game was made with motion controls in mind

Thats the only issue

GODDAMN some of the bonus moons and other assorted ones I'm missing are fucking hard as all hell to get so yeah, there is some challenge involved in the later events. Also, the current jump rope record is 5555(might be missing another 5 in there actually) for those curious.

the volleyball record is pretty insanely high too...

I am like.. who's got time for this shit when I got moons to find?...

http://www.pressa2join.com/news/super-mario-odyssey-sells-1m-copies-first-5-days-us

Super Mario Odyssey sold over 1 million copies in the US in its first 5 days, Nintendo has revealed.

In less than a week following its release, Super Mario Odyssey sold over 1.1 million copies, making it the fastest selling Super Mario game ever in the US, as well as Nintendo Switch’s fastest selling title.

Launching on October 27th, Super Mario Odyssey has been a smash hit for Nintendo, with a current Metacritic score of 97 and 43 perfect scores.

“The public continues to respond positively to Mario’s latest adventure,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “We’re also seeing sales momentum for Nintendo Switch thanks to an ever-growing catalog of games from large publishers and indie developers.”

Nintendo also announced that it has increased supplies for Nintendo Switch to meet the demand throughout the Christmas holidays. Additionally, sales for Switch in the US have now passed 2.6 million as of the end of October.

http://www.pressa2join.com/news/super-mario-odyssey-sells-1m-copies-first-5-days-us

Super Mario Odyssey sold over 1 million copies in the US in its first 5 days, Nintendo has revealed.

In less than a week following its release, Super Mario Odyssey sold over 1.1 million copies, making it the fastest selling Super Mario game ever in the US, as well as Nintendo Switch’s fastest selling title.

Launching on October 27th, Super Mario Odyssey has been a smash hit for Nintendo, with a current Metacritic score of 97 and 43 perfect scores.

“The public continues to respond positively to Mario’s latest adventure,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s President and COO. “We’re also seeing sales momentum for Nintendo Switch thanks to an ever-growing catalog of games from large publishers and indie developers.”

Nintendo also announced that it has increased supplies for Nintendo Switch to meet the demand throughout the Christmas holidays. Additionally, sales for Switch in the US have now passed 2.6 million as of the end of October.

Damn, that's awesome. The fact that the holidays are coming I'm sure there are a bunch of sales coming in the near future(self included) where people planed on buying for a Christmas present.

Well I was planning getting BotW this month and it just so happens that Nintendo announced the "Explorer's Edition" today which comes with a 100 page book, a map, and obviously the game, for the current retail cost. Nice thing is though, Amazon just opened up preorders for it so I get the 20% discount.

Releases on 11/23

Zelda021.jpg

Well I was planning getting BotW this month and it just so happens that Nintendo announced the "Explorer's Edition" today which comes with a 100 page book, a map, and obviously the game, for the current retail cost. Nice thing is though, Amazon just opened up preorders for it so I get the 20% discount.

Releases on 11/23

Zelda021.jpg

That's a sweet deal. Do note that it doesn't include the expansion pack so that's an additional cost that should be well worth it.

Damn, that's awesome. The fact that the holidays are coming I'm sure there are a bunch of sales coming in the near future(self included) where people planed on buying for a Christmas present.

I doubt there will be sales or discounts. It's too hot of an item still. Bundle packages or special packages like the BotW new package.

the crazy in me wants it as a collector but I do not need it.

I doubt there will be sales or discounts. It's too hot of an item still. Bundle packages or special packages like the BotW new package.

the crazy in me wants it as a collector but I do not need it.

Not like a discount sale, just sales as in units moved. Been dying to play this, but promised it to the kid as a Christmas present.

That's a sweet deal. Do note that it doesn't include the expansion pack so that's an additional cost that should be well worth it.
I figured the regular version didn't either.

I figured the regular version didn't either.

yeah you do not need it at all to fully enjoy the game. The game is complete without it (and it feels like it). The DLC just add additional features. I haven't tackled it yet but that's coming as soon the 2nd part of the DLC drops (and I finish collecting all the moons in Mario)...

Enjoy! I am actually jealous that you will get to play the game for the first time soon. One of the best gaming experience I've ever had. it was magical..

I'm top 10 on one of the foot races! I forgot which one. Took about three hours of non-stop practice to shave 0.5s off my time and make the Top 10, lol.

I'm top 10 on one of the foot races! I forgot which one. Took about three hours of non-stop practice to shave 0.5s off my time and make the Top 10, lol.

I hate you. :mad:

Seriously thought, some of these later moons are fucking hard. Having problems in Dark Side of the Moon Broodal fight since the gravity keeps fucking up my jumps. It really doesn't help that the opener and closer are really fucking hard fights due to the gravity effects in play.

Edit: The flavor text for the costumes and hats is a thing of beauty. Especially the Waluigi, skeleton, clown, and fashion sets.

Back