no access to gym

WetGooseFart

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I live about 50 miles from a town, I live in the alaskan wilderness and get satellite internet so there's really no way I can get to a gym..

so right now I've just been doing bodyweight chinups and dips. I can do maybe 15 chinups with good form and 15 dips.. but that is just the first sets, I'll take about a minute break then go for another set and it usually drops to maybe 11-12 then break again and maybe about 9 or 10.

since I'm not doing any other lifts though like squats, deadlifts, bb curls, flies, bench press..etc. how many sets of chinups and dips should I be doing to see any gains?

I do got a few plates I can tie around my waist to add resistance, I got a 45lb plate, a 25lb, and some 10's.
so how many sets should I do and how many times a week if I do start adding weight?

also what other lifts can I do besides just pullups and dips? ive been doing pushups, pistol squats, hanging leg raises.. I can't think of anymore.

That's an impossible question to answer. That's like asking how long till I gain 1 inch on my arms.

You can do Chin up. If you buy dumb bells you can do many other exercises. If you don't want to spend money lift those 45 lb plates for shoulder presses.

Pistols, shrimps, single leg DL's, squats, jumps squats, sumo squats, cossack squats, lunge variations, glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, lunge jumps, bearcrawl variations, crab crawls, plank variations, chinups/pullups, bird dogs, turkish getups, handstands, L sits, leg raises, deadbugs, dips, judo pushups, inverse rows, pike pushups, calf raises, single leg calf rasies, broad jump, lateral jumps, clapping pushups, the list goes on with BW exercises that are great and that you can pro and regress according to your level and needs.

Pistols, shrimps, single leg DL's, squats, jumps squats, sumo squats, cossack squats, lunge variations, glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, lunge jumps, bearcrawl variations, crab crawls, plank variations, chinups/pullups, bird dogs, turkish getups, handstands, L sits, leg raises, deadbugs, dips, judo pushups, inverse rows, pike pushups, calf raises, single leg calf rasies, broad jump, lateral jumps, clapping pushups, the list goes on with BW exercises that are great and that you can pro and regress according to your level and needs.
This.. But you really should just consider getting a barbell and some more plates. 50 miles is a long way just to lift at a gym

Google Ross Enamait.

Sissy squats with the plates.

What about using logs for back/ overhead squats ?

Lifting rocks ?

Suspension/gymnastics rings from a tree?

Rope climbing ?

Sledgehammering tyres? Chopping wood might work well too...

I've seen photos where the guy built a wooden bench and stuff in a forest.

Last edited:
Google Ross Enamait.

Sissy squats with the plates.

What about using logs for back/ overhead squats ?

Lifting rocks ?

Suspension/gymnastics rings from a tree?

Rope climbing ?

Sledgehammering tyres? Chopping wood might work well too...

Ross put out a free sand bag book years ago and it has sand bag training, body weight, wheel barrel exercises, etc. Lots of things to train if you are isolated due to circumstances or you are a social outcast

A barbel is not a necessity.

https://preventdisease.com/members/e-books/b30.pdf

When I was in Canada used to do pull ups in a tree branch, then when I got a job I went back to training and wasn´t so week.

There's alot you can do with bodyweight.

Planche, l-sits, handstands, 1 arm pullups, pistols, dragon flags, etc. Just some exercises to aim for if you can't do them yet.

My twin brother is a calisthenics athlete, and no I am not joking I do have a twin. He usually does muscle ups, planches and some shit called a moltese or whatever, look up on YouTube some calisthenics exercises their really good for core strength and arm strength.

Also plyometrics are good too.

I live about 50 miles from a town, I live in the alaskan wilderness and get satellite internet so there's really no way I can get to a gym..

so right now I've just been doing bodyweight chinups and dips. I can do maybe 15 chinups with good form and 15 dips.. but that is just the first sets, I'll take about a minute break then go for another set and it usually drops to maybe 11-12 then break again and maybe about 9 or 10.

since I'm not doing any other lifts though like squats, deadlifts, bb curls, flies, bench press..etc. how many sets of chinups and dips should I be doing to see any gains?

I do got a few plates I can tie around my waist to add resistance, I got a 45lb plate, a 25lb, and some 10's.
so how many sets should I do and how many times a week if I do start adding weight?

also what other lifts can I do besides just pullups and dips? ive been doing pushups, pistol squats, hanging leg raises.. I can't think of anymore.

keep it simple.
pick some goals and progress towards them.

just to give you an idea of how you could start out here are two examples of beginner routines with just bwe:

reddit's recommended routine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

"startbodyweight" by some dude:
http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

possibilities are endless. just start out with a sound routine and follow it for some months.

incorporate some sort of posterior chain work like swings with a t-bar:
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2008/12/31/homemade-t-handle-demonstration/

enjoy

When I was in Canada used to do pull ups in a tree branch, then when I got a job I went back to training and wasn´t so week.

I did some chinups on a tree branch yesterday and a bunch of debri landed on my face and bugs started attackin me lol felt good tho.

Throw a strong towel over the branch and you can do chins for grip strength too..

thanks for all the tips people, I'm really interested in calisthenics it suits my needs. I did about 3x5 of 35lb chinups yesterday and 3x10 of 35lb dips.
I tried to do a muscle up but failed pretty hard but I'll keep workin on it, I think I'll start doing more pullups as I've just been doing chinups.

Today I'm going to work on a few of the suggestions you guys gave, like the L-sit and maybe hand stand.

thanks for all the tips people, I'm really interested in calisthenics it suits my needs. I did about 3x5 of 35lb chinups yesterday and 3x10 of 35lb dips.
I tried to do a muscle up but failed pretty hard but I'll keep workin on it, I think I'll start doing more pullups as I've just been doing chinups.

Today I'm going to work on a few of the suggestions you guys gave, like the L-sit and maybe hand stand.
Don't forget a little bit for your lower body Goose.

Ross E , Never gymless, download the PDF.

I live in the Alaskan Bush, but the few Bush, not the one where it’s a long drive to a gym....I’d have to fly to use a gym.

I do a lot of sandbag work, body weight work, tire dragging, pull ups, sprints mountain climbing with a heavy backpack.

I love it. Going to the gym and just doing basic strength work is boring.

some ideas with just stones and a rope:

The recommended routine posted above is the best free calisthenics strength routine around.

Simplefit.org is a great routine.

So is convict conditioning.

Freeletics is... free. It's not the best strength routine, but it is a good conditioning routine. Ross Enamait is a helluva lot better, though, for strength and conditioning..

Back