No Homework rule at my kid's school

Fluffernutter

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Kids across the land have started school this week.

My kid's elementary school just instituted a "no homework" policy.

Good idea or bad idea? Should schools give out homework (elementary, middle or high school):

YES - Homework reinforces the concepts that were introduced during the school day. This helps the kids understand the material better.

YES - Homework teaches time management skills.

YES - Homework creates independent and creative students that can work longer/shorter than the designated time given within the classroom.

NO - Homework is just busy work. Studies have shown it makes no significant difference in learning.

NO - I am sure a certain percentage of kids' parents do the homework for them anyway.

NO - Kids are already jam-packed with stuff to do after school from sports, to band, to scouts, to community service projects, etc.

Yes - Square pizza on pizza day was the shit

square_cafeteria_pizza.jpg

We'll see how well it works. It could work, depends on the teaching method. I'm all for trying different ways to improve education rather than just dogmatically advocating a single style across the nation (which hasn't been working no matter how much we quadruple the funding every few years)

Homework is necessary. 1-1.5 hours of homework per subject is complete and utter bullshit.

A middle ground is usually the right answer. I personally think 15-20 mins per subject is good enough.

Homework is necessary. 1-1.5 hours of homework per subject is complete and utter bullshit.

A middle ground is usually the right answer. I personally think 15-20 mins per subject is good enough.

The rule of foot I was given was "10 minutes per grade"

people complained that there's too much homework, now you're complaining there's too little.

how about this, you take that time and contribute to his education.

or beat him.

whatever, pass the time as you will.

I think I might be able to get behind this.

These kids have already spent 8 hours of their day having to be at school and learn shit. It's not unreasonable to let them have their nights to themselves.

The only required homework should probably be shit like required book reading in literature classes and having to study for their upcoming tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might be able to get behind.

These kids have already spent 8 hours of their day having to be at school and learn shit. It's not unreasonable to let them have their nights to themselves.

The only required homework should probably be shit like required book reading in literature classes and having to study for their upcoming tests.

Yeah I tend to agree, activates like reading that there simply isn't time for in class.

Generally I tend to think that the obsession with course work(not sure what it would be called in the US, non controlled test work that counts to a grade) rather than examd/tests for final grades is a mistake. It allows schools to grade inflate by coaching kids though tasks without there actually having the knowledge on the subject. Yes in higher education the greater complexity means its needed but it shouldn't be for most highschool subjects.

There was essentially no homework in elementary school when I was a kid. Very little in middle school too. I don't think it makes any significant difference in performance. But it seems to put unnecessary pressure on kids.

Not gonna lie.... no homework would have been the shit while going through school.

<18>

Sure, but it'd be nice if they can organize extracurricular activities for the duration that would normally be spending on homework.

Any school that implements a no homework policy is a fucking joke.

The Finns have the highest quality primary and secondary education system on the planet. They do it without homework. Of course, they also have the best teachers.

Conclusion: If you have great teachers, you don't need homework.

The Finns have the highest quality primary and secondary education system on the planet. They do it without homework. Of course, they also have the best teachers.

Conclusion: If you have great teachers, you don't need homework.
Define quality.

I was always the kid that either never did it or did some half arsed attempt 2 minutes before class. After school was for football and chasing girls, was a much better use of my time.

How old?

I think homework is a necessary. Besides house chores, what other tasks are they going to get to help them learn responsibility and time management?
And at some point, there WILL be homework. Whether it be in high school or university, might as well get used to it now.
Just don't make it complete bullshit work, and don't have it take 4 hours.

Good idea. School is from like 8.15-3.15. More than enough time to learn.

homework was the only reason i hated school, i excelled at tests and participated in class but ill be damned if i go to school all fucking day and then spend my night doing homework instead of fun

if teachers in elementary school were particularly hard on homework, i still wouldnt do it, but then i would be embarrassed and stop participating... just kind of withdraw and hope she wouldnt notice me. i was more concerned with not getting in trouble for skipping homework than actually learning in class

in middle school, i vividly remember multiple classes having 95% or higher on tests but getting a C in the class because homework was like 40% of the grade

i can see it in high school where it gets more advanced, but homework should be optional, just something they send home in case the parent wants to teach

Back