No longer under UFC contract, Erick Silva starts 2018 as free agent

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Welterweight Erick Silva could sign with a different promotion, after almost seven years in the UFC.
By Lucas Rezende@rezenluc Mar 7, 2018, 7:00pm ESTSHARE
usa_today_10089146.0.jpg

Erick Silva
Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports
Brazilian welterweight Erick Silva came into the UFC as a 27-year-old rising prospect with a 13-1-1 NC record and a Jungle Fight belt. However, after six and a half years in the Octagon, Silva now finds himself with an expired UFC contract and could be heading to a new promotion in 2018, as it was reported by MMA Fighting.

Unable to ever win more than two fights in a row during his UFC run, Erick Silva (19-9-1 NC) faced some of the most notable names at a welterweight, such as Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Dong Hyun Kim and Matt Brown.

However, the now 33-year-old has been bested four times in his last five fights, by the likes of Neil Magny, Nordine Taleb, Yancy Medeiros and most recently Jordan Mein last December. His only win during that span was a rear-naked choke submission of Luan Chagas in September 2016.

Although all of Erick’s wins were finishes, his current UFC record is a negative 7-8, which could hinder his chances of renewing his contract with the organization. So far, Erick has not made any announcements about potential career moves for the future.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...t-erick-silva-starts-2018-free-agent-mma-news

He is a young guy with lots of time to improve. He'll be back in the UFC before we know it fighting for that title.

where does he go? safe money is always bellator, especially considering that they have a brazil show in the works.

where does he go? safe money is always bellator, especially considering that they have a brazil show in the works.

He could be fun in Bellator WW division but I personally hope they do not sign him.

With the hype he had he ended up being a huge bust.

No testing Rizin he could do well, ACB and of course Bellator.

He is a young guy with lots of time to improve. He'll be back in the UFC before we know it fighting for that title.
people keep saying this its almost become a joke...almost, i mean if he wasnt still so young and such a hot prospect

silva vs daley in bellator or anywhere would be fun

people keep saying this its almost become a joke...almost, i mean if he wasnt still so young and such a hot prospect

silva vs daley in bellator or anywhere would be fun

Silva is way to young at 33 to be fighting Daley he needs a few more fights to even be considered for such a fight.

He is too young in my opinion

The UFC should resign him, future prospect for sure

I'd say either ACB, the PFL or maybe even ONE or some regional place in Brazil. He's not on a good stretch right now, but he's still athletic, skilled and exciting. You can't deny any of those things. Isn't he a really humble guy, too? That combination opens the door for a lot of places, especially when you combine it with his name-value.
RIZIN might even sign him if they want to get together a welterweight-ish division (I feel like they might do something with kilograms and have it be at, like, 177 or something like that, on a side-note). They signed Cruickshank on a losing streak cuz' they saw something in him, so they might do the same with Erick.

He is best off trying to re-up with UFC at this point with his being in the 16-20 fight Reebok tier

This young kid's got a TON of potential.

Expecting great things from E. Silva (not to be confused with E. Honda).

This could be great for his career. He is just too young to fight the big boys at the UFC. He can develop as a grown man in the lower leagues and fulfill his potential in the future. He still has years to get the skills.

I think he is a perfect fit for Bellator.

Solid fighter that has a few years left in him with a little name value. He is top 5 in Bellator's WW division.

UFC side he has ran his course and just can't get over the hump. Really is as simple as that.

Back