No Man's Sky Finally Leaves Beta And Adds Multiplayer + Xbone Release

I love how the article says "something closer to Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek or, you know… the game as it was originally advertised."

That precisely what Im talking about when I talk about random pleebs frothing at the mouth to join the group think and create criticisms out of thin air. Christ, I get that the game was a letdown but at this point people pull random shit out of their ass just so they can cry about it.

Reinstalled it last night. Should be a good break from league.

Well, it wasnt a multiplayer game.

The game world is gigantic. You could never see all the planets if you played for your entire life. That doesnt mean the quality of the gameplay and variety of planets isnt sub par, but it means that that particular criticism is stupid.

There were technical reasons why you probably woldnt see someone else on the same planet.

Look, theres plenty of criticisms of the game that are valid. This one criticism is overblown and meaningless. If people were getting the game to try and play with or see other people, then its their own fault for being disappointing with that one feature.
They said like a 1000 times that it wasn't a multiplayer game. 1 time, like two weeks before its release, the guy made mention of multiplayer. Everyone completely murdered them for it not being a fully muliplayer game. There's other stuff to bitch about, other than that. However, with updates and all, it's pretty much what was promised originally at this point.

The issue wasn't it being a "fully" multiplayer game, the issue was they directly lied about a feature. When the head of your team is on television directly lying to the public about what is in a game, people are going to get upset.

It was a horrible PR move to have Sean Murray promoting the game. Guy came off so slimy and every time they asked him about a feature he wasn't honest about what was actually in the game. so much could've been avoided with better PR.

The issue wasn't it being a "fully" multiplayer game, the issue was they directly lied about a feature. When the head of your team is on television directly lying to the public about what is in a game, people are going to get upset.

It was a horrible PR move to have Sean Murray promoting the game. Guy came off so slimy and every time they asked him about a feature he wasn't honest about what was actually in the game. so much could've been avoided with better PR.

They didnt lie about it, gamers didnt understand it because they tend to be ignorant of game design and not realize it. Saying "This probably wont happen and is nearly impossible" was somehow construed as "You can meet up with your friends". The fact that it was technically possible for players to be in the same place in the universe at the same time and not see each other was due to the game engine and one of the reasons they said it was nearly impossible to do.

Games have a long dev time and often certain things dont see release. This isnt new, and it shouldnt be surprising either.

I saw the same interviews. I saw a guy who was passionate about his project. Maybe too passionate. Sure. Shades of Molyneiux and Black and White/Fable, perhaps. Promising too much too soon before realizing the time and technical limitations of your vision. Even CDprojekt had this problem with Witcher 3.

For me it comes down to what was the game experience you were selling and I dont much care about twisting words around without context. It was blatantly stated from the start that it wasnt a multiplayer game and the chances of you meeting another player were virtually nileven though it was "possible". If people complained that they couldnt meet up with another player, theyre just being plain stupid. This was sold as a single player experience.

They didnt lie about it, gamers didnt understand it because they tend to be ignorant of game design and not realize it. Saying "This probably wont happen and is nearly impossible" was somehow construed as "You can meet up with your friends". The fact that it was technically possible for players to be in the same place in the universe at the same time and not see each other was due to the game engine and one of the reasons they said it was nearly impossible to do.

Games have a long dev time and often certain things dont see release. This isnt new, and it shouldnt be surprising either.

I saw the same interviews. I saw a guy who was passionate about his project. Maybe too passionate. Sure. Shades of Molyneiux and Black and White/Fable, perhaps. Promising too much too soon before realizing the time and technical limitations of your vision. Even CDprojekt had this problem with Witcher 3.

For me it comes down to what was the game experience you were selling and I dont much care about twisting words around without context. It was blatantly stated from the start that it wasnt a multiplayer game and the chances of you meeting another player were virtually nileven though it was "possible". If people complained that they couldnt meet up with another player, theyre just being plain stupid. This was sold as a single player experience.

That's the problem. They said the chances of running into another player are virtually nil. Then within like 24 hours two guys were at the same exact spot and they couldn't see or interact with each other. It was advertised as a universe so big you wouldn't run into other playing in the same universe. Instead it turned out it wasn't that big of a universe and everyone was playing different instances of it with just the names people gave stuff being spread to everyone.

They didnt lie about it, gamers didnt understand it because they tend to be ignorant of game design and not realize it.

{<huh}

"The only way you know what you look like is for somebody else to see you"

Can you run into other players?

"Yes"

"Can you play with your friends?

"Yes"

Can you grief other players?

"A little bit"

These are literally lies.

{<huh}

"Yes"

"Yes"

"A little bit"

Nah bro they are just twisting his words. #randomplebs

Who cares at this point, the info is all out there for everyone.

{<huh}

"Yes"

"Yes"

"A little bit"

Youre doing exactly what Im talking about. Youre even deliberately only taking part of his quotes. Literally both times hes asked if you can play or run into other players he says its so rare and unlikely to happen. This is not a lie, since it is rare and unlikely for it to happen. Both due to world size and instancing. Then gamers tried to do it and bitched because they couldnt accomplish something the dev said probably wouldnt happen.

The griefing thing is so vague and lacking any context that its useless.

Could the guy have explained things a little better? ok, I'll buy that. But I doubt he expected his words to combed over and picked apart by a legion of internet Rush Limbaughs.

Last edited:
Youre doing exactly what Im talking about. Youre even deliberately only taking part of his quotes. Literally both times hes asked if you can play or run into other players he says its so rare and unlikely to happen. This is not a lie, since it is rare and unlikely for it to happen. Both due to world size and instancing.

Do you not know what a lie is?

You can't run into other players. You can't play with your friends. You cant see anybody and nobody else can see you. Those features are not in the game.

Sean was asked yes/no questions. Responding "yes" to those questions is a direct lie, regardless of what he says about how likely it is. He also says the only way to know what you look like is for another player to see you, which is another lie. All of his statements fail the basic true/false assessment.

Using words like "rare" and "unlikely" is false. The truthful response would be "No, our game does not support those features."

Do you not know what a lie is?

You can't run into other players. You can't play with your friends. You cant see anybody and nobody else can see you. Those features are not in the game.

Sean was asked yes/no questions. Responding "yes" to those questions is a direct lie, regardless of what he says about how likely it is. He also says the only way to know what you look like is for another player to see you, which is another lie. All of his statements fail the basic true/false assessment.

Using words like "rare" and "unlikely" is false. The truthful response would be "No, our game does not support those features."

Do you know?

Go ahead. Prove that the engine under no circumstances can have two players be in the same instance at the same time and see each other.

Prove it. Go. Dont show that its unlikely or nearly impossible, which is what the dev already stated. Prove that it cannot be done under any circumstances.

Lol, No Man's Sky threads are like tipping threads in Mayberry.

Do you know?

Go ahead. Prove that the engine under no circumstances can have two players be in the same instance at the same time and see each other.

Prove it. Go. Dont show that its unlikely or nearly impossible, which is what the dev already stated. Prove that it cannot be done under any circumstances.

Lmao don't tell me you think seeing and interacting with other players is an implemented feature that exists in the game. You must be the only one who believes that.

I'll bite. If it's already in the game, how can they be adding it now?

Lmao don't tell me you think seeing and interacting with other players is an implemented feature that exists in the game. You must be the only one who believes that.

I'll bite. If it's already in the game, how can they be adding it now?

So you cant do what Im asking, right?

I think that the possibility of running into another player and interacting is very rare, which is exactly what the devs stated. This is due both to the size of the world and how the engine handles instancing. Things you are completely ignorant of.

Theyre adding the ability to multiplay on demand, thereby removing the instancing restrictions that were a prominent reason why they repeatedly told people like yourself, despite your inability to understand, that meeting up with another player would be incredibly rare if it even happened. They even at one point said its possible it will never happen.

Why is this a feature? Like, seriously. Who is it thats hearing the dev say "its really rare" and "it might not happen" and they think "Thats EXACTLY why Im buying this game"?

Lets say for the sake of argument, that it cant happen. That the thing the devs said was really rare and might not happen is actually an impossibility. Who is missing out exactly? They told them point blank that thats not what the game was about. Were they too stupid to understand or something?

Last edited:
You can now shoot at plants with a friend now. This is groundbreaking stuff here.

Back