No More White Belts

what about lurkers who only post once in awhile? Do they not deserve to start a thread because they don't post very often?

like me... i am not a kid and i am not retarded, though my belt may be white

It's just like when you see teenagers doing something immature in real life. Sure it is bad but you have to remember you were young once to! reading the sherdog forums expanded my mma knowledge exponentially and I'm greatful for it, I think everyone should get a chance to learn mma history and what better place then sherdog? Even if it means being flamed for every new thread they respond to.

Yeah, agree that something should be done here. It needs to be something that: 1) goes a long way towards eliminating / reducing trolling and 2) also gives serious white belts that want to contribute a chance to participate.

Suggestion #1 is a good idea. I also like the idea of not allowing white belts to start new threads.

Im really surprised the site moderators haven't done SOMETHING to try and address the situation.

Post count is always a double-edged sword - on one hand you have the outlook that if a person can survive to reach a certain number of posts without having his/her account banned then chances are they're not your average knobber.

However the negative is post whoring just to get enough posts to reach the required level.

I've been here for years but only recently got enough posts to become a yellow belt however for a long time I'd unable to contribute should belt colour be a deciding factor which is where this kind of segragation would fail.

It would stop the creation of troll accounts just to antagonise though - is the trade-off worth it?

Plus, as has been mentioned already, stupid posts are by no means restricted to white belts - not by a long shot.

eventually noone will be posting becuase new memebers won't post if they can't be seen...

You probably got your wish i haven't been able to make a thread since yesterday.

Earlier today, or yesterday I made a comment about Anderson's next opponent; now most people know it's James. I read these threads and it's white belt after white belt after white belt.

there are people here whose posts i read, but i rarely check names/belts, etc, and quite often there are some great points. but most often it's not a white belt. in fact, whites are often making outlandish/retarded statements.

so i propose a fix, which i'm sure sherdog will never go for, but figured, why not.

either:

1) create another tier of posting, where you can't join unless you have posted X number of times. that won't in and of itself eliminate douchebaggery, but someone will have to work real hard, and take a lot of abuse to achieve the level.

or

2) do not allow white belt posts to appear on chat pages until they've reached X number of posts. meaning, they can read, write, then hit post, but it won't show up. an internal counter will eventually let them know if they've arrived. yes, it's redundant and painful, but if it's worth it you'll do it.

i think (1) is a better option, for many reasons but something has to be done to control the idiot children here.

there's a lot of great stuff getting lost in the shuffle on this board that it makes me want to take my own brand of average stuff elsewhere.

with this kind of thread, i would've assumed you were a white belt. they just need to not allow white belts to start threads just like they don't let you have an avatar until you're orange

I hate whitebelts. Everytime you see a stupid fucking post about tuffers being goats, KJ noons being the best LHW or just pure Crocop, Fedor etc bashing its always a fucking whitebelt with a join date that dosent go past 2 months.

On top of that every dam Time a UFC event is on you get tons of new whitebelts joining the community right after the event making shitty threads and preaching like they've been watching MMA forever.

Last but not least I hate how they think everything outside the UFC is overrated and like how Dana white portrayes himself bigger than the fighters of the org. They cheer for idiots like Kimbo and Attention whores like tito over classy guys like Nog, Machida and Fedor. They are not very open minded at all.

Yes they should be able to post but not making threads. Its 95% troll jobs anyway.

Only thing worse than white belts are postwhores. Yes you know who you are.

I can't believe you'd say it's whitebelts that aren't open minded after making a post like this.

I shouldn't even have to mention what a sweeping generalization you're making, by saying that whitebelts think other MMA organizations and the part about Dana. I see a thread about Dana being an idiot or the guy who's killing MMA just about every time I come here. Make a thread about Dana and you'd probably get mixed responses from white belts, just like you would people of any other belt.

Even worse though, is that you say whitebelts aren't open minded just after whining about the fact that they don't cheer for the same guys you do. That is about the most closed minded statement I've seen in this thread. You know what would be open minded? Respecting the fact that some people like fighters that you don't, rather than trying to put yourself and your "superior" opinions on a pedestal above them.

That's just irrational. White belts should be allowed to comment being a White Belt doesn't = to being a newbie.

At the very least, they shouldn't be allowed to post a thread until they reach yellow. I remember, I was an orange before I started my first ever thread.

This thread is seriously retarded, and the mod who moved it here like it should somehow be legit should be demoted. I have seen way more fucking stupid upper belts, than I have white belts.

I can't believe you'd say it's whitebelts that aren't open minded after making a post like this.

I shouldn't even have to mention what a sweeping generalization you're making, by saying that whitebelts think other MMA organizations and the part about Dana. I see a thread about Dana being an idiot or the guy who's killing MMA just about every time I come here. Make a thread about Dana and you'd probably get mixed responses from white belts, just like you would people of any other belt.

Even worse though, is that you say whitebelts aren't open minded just after whining about the fact that they don't cheer for the same guys you do. That is about the most closed minded statement I've seen in this thread. You know what would be open minded? Respecting the fact that some people like fighters that you don't, rather than trying to put yourself and your "superior" opinions on a pedestal above them.

aww isn't this cute? I see an award coming for best speech.

Here's a tip. why don't you search the forums for whitebelt threads and posts, then come back here and we'll see whos right. My generalization is pretty accurate, 90% of it is total crap, usually fighter bashing and showing no respect for some of the biggest legends of the sport. I usually scroll past white belt posts because of this but then I get 40 quotes from people telling him what an idiot he is instead.

If not that its probably a stupid opinion or argument comming from a guy who isn't worth arguing with due to him hardly getting his facts straight because he's a new fan of the sport.

Go and search some topics from the Brock Lesnar period for example and we'll see. its not about people not liking the same fighters as I do its about not showing respect. You being a whitebelt yourself probably don't know but there's a reason why less and less numbers of professional fighters choose to come around Sherdog anymore. (I encourage more people to watch mma. I love that the sport is growing fast but Sherdog would be way cleaner if whitebelts wouldn't be allowed to make threads.)

This thread is seriously retarded, and the mod who moved it here like it should somehow be legit should be demoted. I have seen way more fucking stupid upper belts, than I have white belts.

probably because your one of them.

I'm pretty much with Vespertilio and the majority of other people saying white belts shouldn't be able to post threads, and i'm one myself.

Although I believe that not all threads started by white belts are inane/without substance - the majority of them are. I don't think it's anything to do with people's MMA knowledge; more their lack of knowledge on how to act on a message board. And ultimately there's no way to legislate for that, without alienating a lot of genuine posters.

aww isn't this cute? I see an award coming for best speech.

Here's a tip. why don't you search the forums for whitebelt threads and posts, then come back here and we'll see whos right. My generalization is pretty accurate, 90% of it is total crap, usually fighter bashing and showing no respect for some of the biggest legends of the sport. I usually scroll past white belt posts because of this but then I get 40 quotes from people telling him what an idiot he is instead.

If not that its probably a stupid opinion or argument comming from a guy who isn't worth arguing with due to him hardly getting his facts straight because he's a new fan of the sport.

Go and search some topics from the Brock Lesnar period for example and we'll see. its not about people not liking the same fighters as I do its about not showing respect. You being a whitebelt yourself probably don't know but there's a reason why less and less numbers of professional fighters choose to come around Sherdog anymore. (I encourage more people to watch mma. I love that the sport is growing fast but Sherdog would be way cleaner if whitebelts wouldn't be allowed to make threads.)

I decided to take your advice and just checked out the front page of the heavyweights. I didn't really notice a higher quality of threads from higher belts compared to white belts. The only thread I saw meant to bash anyone was for Joe Rogan, admittedly started by a white belt. But I also saw a very well thought out dedication thread for Wanderlei Silva which has nearly 1,000 posts, started by a white belt. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/wanderlei-dedication-thread-why-all-wanderlei-love-787357/ That seemed to even things up a bit from what I saw.

Most of the time, I don't notice much of a difference between belt colors. I see white belts who rarely ever post, and when they do it's only when they have something to add to the discussion. Other white belts may post stupid comments all the time, but post enough stupid comments or quick one liners like "ttt," "QFT" and "Shut up white belt" and you can "advance" to a higher belt in a week, or even a day. I don't think restricting white belts is the way to clean up these forums from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Also, about the part about cheering for different fighters...If you don't mind people liking fighters other than you do, and it was only about lack of respect, then I take back what I said about that. But that is how I interpreted your comment, "They cheer for idiots like Kimbo and Attention whores like tito over classy guys like Nog, Machida and Fedor" at the time.

I decided to take your advice and just checked out the front page of the heavyweights. I didn't really notice a higher quality of threads from higher belts compared to white belts.

I've said in this thread a couple times that I have never seen any correlation between post count and quality of posts. And I lurked here for several years before joining. I have read quite a few posts.

I also am waiting for anyone to give me a logically valid argument as to why post count has anything whatsoever to do with knowledge of MMA. As I posted earlier in the thread, aside from Sherdog and Bullshido, the only other online forums I have frequented are those about science and technology. (I am an engineer.) And no one at any place but Sherdog thinks that post count has anything to do with knowledge of the subject being discussed.

And here is a tip: you cannot become any sort of expert whatsoever simply by watching MMA. You will learn a tiny amount, such as being able to identify different submissions. And you will learn about the rules and learn some MMA trivia. But you will not develop any expertise in actual fighting itself. That takes training. Lots of it. Years, in fact.

Back